Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Old Goat, my understanding is that State Farm will not add UIM coverage to its umbrella policies. Can you comment?
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

I imagine the 'adjuster dependent' notion has merit.

That said, avoid Travelers. I had a 70k homeowners claim they denied. I hired a lawyer. Travelers admitted the claim was valid under policy, ultimately paid it. After almost a full year of fighting (hefty legal fees).

It was an obvious 'blanket deny - make the insured fight to show coverage' scenario.
    (side note, that lawyer saved my home. I would literally have been kicking rocks down the road without him)

When the adjuster came to inspect, he made a list of other action items around the property. I had to show proof of fixing, in addition to the damage I claimed (basically a gnarly honeydo list) 'or else' we'll not renew your policy at all (mortgage implications).

'Fixed' everything, showed proof, Travelers cancelled the policy anyway, telling me just before it was set to renew - and with the now recent claim history it was difficult/expensive to get another carrier to satisfy mortgage company.

Sorry for the story. Avoid Travelers.
    my .02

Here's the best advice I can give for dealing with any insurance company on any claim:

DOCUMENT EVERYTHING AND KEEP ALL OF YOUR DOCUMENTATION.

Communicate by email whenever possible -- save all your emails (sent and received) in a folder. Save all paper mail sent to you in a file. If you have a phone conversation with a carrier representative, document that conversation in your own notes and save it. If that phone conversation included any representations by the carrier that you want to confirm in writing, send the carrier an email following up on the phone conversation and include what you spoke about ("as we discussed on our phone call of (DATE), I understand that (CARRIER) has agreed to ... blahblahblah").

Insurance companies are, in my experience, rarely motivated by ill will. It's more corporate ineptitude.

Do not, ever, rely on your good buddy the sales agent telling you that "don't worry about it, (CARRIER) always comes through, they're good peeps, let me make a few calls for you..." -- and then neglect to follow up.

DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. The carrier owes you significant legal duties. Hold them to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Old Goat, my understanding is that State Farm will not add UIM coverage to its umbrella policies. Can you comment?
    I'm not sure I understand the question. Based only on my personal experience with SF--I have UIM under my auto coverage. The umbrella policy as I understand it is a liability policy only--covers me if I'm being sued for more than my auto or homeowners liability coverage, so there would be no reason to have UIM coverage in the umbrella. I don't believe it covers anything where you are not a fault. Maybe an insurance professional can comment.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the question. Based only on my personal experience with SF--I have UIM under my auto coverage. The umbrella policy as I understand it is a liability policy only--covers me if I'm being sued for more than my auto or homeowners liability coverage, so there would be no reason to have UIM coverage in the umbrella. I don't believe it covers anything where you are not a fault. Maybe an insurance professional can comment.
    AFAIK, it is very rare to see UM/UIM coverage as part of a personal umbrella policy. I tried to buy an umbrella that offered UM/UIM, but could not find one.

Here's why I would buy an umbrella with UM/UIM: say I am in a car accident where someone with minimal coverage causes an accident, hitting me and causing significant injuries (medical expenses, wage loss, pain + suffering). The other driver's carrier pays out their minimal coverage (say it's $25K), and then they're done -- and let's assume that other driver has no assets, so I'm not going to recover anything from him personally. Then my insurance steps in under my UIM (underinsured motorist) coverage, and pays my losses directly to me -- up to the full limit of my own primary insurance (say it's $250K). Important umbrella point: if I have a $1MM umbrella with UIM coverage, then I also would have that $1MM of coverage to pay my losses. Added together, I would have $25K (other driver's minimal coverage) + $250K (my primary automobile coverage) + $1MM (my umbrella coverage) to cover all losses I sustain in that car accident.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

So now I have a ST rental property. We have cars/home with USAA. the rental is at the beach and is Lloyds. 5 cars & drivers, motorcyle for me. USAA is quoting what amounts to a total of $1,569 to 1)upgrade the policies on the car/home, and 2) get a $2m umbrella policy. This a good idea? USAA good for this kinda thing? thanks kindly MT
    "Can't you see..."

It's a commodity. Might as well shop around. Usually the umbrella carrier will want to issue the underlying policies for everything the umbrella covers (i.e. the umbrella may not cover things related to the rental property insured by Lloyds unless USAA issues the primary policy for the rental), but maybe there are exceptions.

USAA is the only company that will insure my neighbor and my own Tahoe house. Fire just brushed by down the street a couple months ago, so things are probably going to be more limited. They're easy with claims and service is very good. You need to be a vet or get it from a relative.

Insurance? I know just the guy you should talk to. Name:  IMG_3449.JPG
Views: 355
Size:  18.2 KB

Talk to me about Insurance: Auto, Home, personal liability

I just got a one million dollar liability policy on my island for $211 per year from USAA.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Definitely comparison shop. To put things Get a quote from Chubb or Travelers in perspective, you'll also see how the wealthy insure their assets.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Well I’m done with State Farm.

They fucked me over when my catalytic converter got stolen, would only pay for me to buy a discount part from Autozone rather than having the real part installed from a shop, and now my check engine light has been on since then for emissions failure because my van doesn’t like the discount part.

Last week I got rear ended (clearly the other driver’s fault) and they want me to use their “Preferred” shops or upload photos for an estimate in the app. I did so and they app failed multiple times. So I uploaded a PDF of my estimate from an independent shop and haven’t heard anything in a week. And to call to check you have to go through a call center that takes 15+ minutes to get anyone at.

Meanwhile the other driver’s Progressive adjuster has been contacting me and offered the red carpet. They approved my estimate for direct payment and offered me a rental car.

Soooo I’m shopping around. Looks like Farmers has better home rates and equivalent car rates to my SF right now.

We've had good luck with State Farm for years--until the last two. Problems with 2 claims--one when my wife was hit by an uninsured driver where they took months to resolve the issue, and more recently when my wife's parked car was hit in a parking lot by a driver who didn't leave a note--they wouldn't cover the deductible unless my wife could produce proof of who hit her.

Talk to me about Insurance: Auto, Home, personal liability

Falcon3, maybe you should try Progressive if their service was that good?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    We've had good luck with State Farm for years--until the last two. Problems with 2 claims--one when my wife was hit by an uninsured driver where they took months to resolve the issue, and more recently when my wife's parked car was hit in a parking lot by a driver who didn't leave a note--they wouldn't cover the deductible unless my wife could produce proof of who hit her.
    Did you speak with Jake?

Call Flo and ask for some nekkid pics
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

State farm has gone downhill since they have forced everybody to use the app. They won’t send an adjuster out at all. They think they can tell everything by the pictures that you upload. They push hard on the approved shop thing. I had to remind them the law in New York State states that I get to choose which shop does the work.

I don't know if it's the app. The first episode occurred early in the pandemic and I think at least partly was due to losing experienced people, having no continuity between my wife's multiple contacts with them about the claim, and people working from home. It also seems that they have significantly tightened up their claims and compensation process.

Check your homeowners policy, if you have an e-bike you may not be able to store it in the house. The letter we got a few days ago said something about having to have a fire safe box for the battery as an option. I had to turn my demo bikes in because there was no way I could "safely" store a half dozen. Now I don't have an e-bike anymore

Knock on wood I've had nothing but good experiences with Jake. 50 years ago when the wind blew the empty above ground pool away the adjuster got me a new one. Haven't had a home claim since. Daughter totaled my car (her fault 100%) and paid me more than than KBB. Stepped in when an ambulance chaser sued for 1mil 2 years and 11 months later. Druring the lockdown, we got sued for exactly our coverage by another ambulance chaser for a 2 year and 10 months old accident my wife had. (100% her fault and they did ok by us getting the car fixed). Jakes lawyer made the mistake of calling it a slam dunk. Never, ever do that IME. Asked for a jury Zoom trial instead of a judge. Jakes expert doc got run over by their professional surgeon for hire. What I knew and Jakes lawyer didn't was that the guy suing for pain and suffering was an internet idol and go to dog lovers. I did learn that if Jake goes to trial and loses more than your coverage he'll pay for it. In the end it didn't cost me a thing. The jury said no to $3.5 million but they did give the guy a $350k bone.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG2906 (1).jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	544.1 KB 
ID:	427326
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Your lawyer should never have let Mike Ermentrout on the jury.

Bumping this thread.

State Farm just informed me that they will not be renewing homeowners on my condo, with coverage ending in about 10 days. they apparently mailed a letter back in October which i never received, and only know because my agent personally emailed me out of the blue today. the reasoning is that i filed too many claims. I have 2 water damage claims, each more than 2 years old, 1 of which was found to be the neighbors fault, and they combined total under $10k. There is no warning or notification on my online StateFarm dashboard account, and i never recieved an email until today, from my agent.

I have rented this condo out for almost 2 years now while living across town in a house. Due to a fucked up HOA policy, coverage needs to be for up to $60k at which point HOA insurance will take over. I now have to try and get insurance in 10 days for an affordable rate. Also, ironically, i have new tenants moving into the condo on the same day the coverage lapses.

Am i screwed? I PM'ed rontele and he just told me to buy the red one, but the red one just dropped me!? What would Mags do? I live in Washington, FWIW.

You're not screwed. I shot you a PM. I'm sure we can figure something out pretty quick.
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

Quote Originally Posted by G. Gordon Liddy View Post
    You're not screwed. I shot you a PM. I'm sure we can figure something out pretty quick.
    You gonna trust this dude!? Next thing you know you’ll be under federal investigation!

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    You gonna trust this dude!? Next thing you know you’ll be under federal investigation!
    What? he has an honest face...
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.