Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Talk to me about Insurance: Auto, Home, personal liability

I've been with State Farm for too long - actually they've been OK as far as the couple of claims that I've had to submit - but wondering if I need to shop around.

We do have a car claim total (4 years) and a home claim (wind 1 year) on our policies so maybe we have to wait awhile before rates could really go down.

Who has had experience with low cost insurers (on the surface) like Geico and Progressive?

Any other expertise to bandy about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

I have home, auto and personal through Costco Ameriprise. Cheap. Never made a claim to test.

USAA is pretty good if you are a veteran.

Amica ranks near the top quite a few comparisons.

I have had Geico for autos for years and they have treated me just fine when I needed to make a claim.
    I recently got hit by a semi that was insured by State Farm and it took 3 weeks for them to admit liability so that I can actually fix my car, despite consistent witness statements saying their driver was at fault, and their driver admitting fault in his police statement. So they can get fucked.

I have homo insurance through Progressive (actually underwritten by Homesite) and it is cheap but I have not needed to test it.

We’ve been with Farmers for 25 years; two new roofs, one complete and one partial new siding, one minor accident, and five deer collision repairs. Top-notch service every time. My friends who took the cheap Geico route have had problems with even simple auto claims.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I have had Geico for autos for year and they have treated me just fine when I needed to make a claim..
    This here too.

Actually better than that.. excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

In my practice as a dentist, I have had to deal with a bunch. Nationwide, Allstate, State Farm, Farm Bureau, Geico, etc are bottom of the barrel.

Good experiences with Cincinnati, Travelers, Erie, and USAA.

I personally have Cincinnati. I have limits across the board on autos, house, boat of $300/500k and a $5mm umbrella with $2mm of uninsured motorist insurance included in the umbrella coverage. I have had several claims, two tornado/hail damage, several car claims, and my boat claim from a few years ago. They went above board to help us on all of them, especially the boat.

I tell people, especially the ones that ride motorcycles, that you can count on the guy that hit and nearly killed you to have no or minimum limits coverage. Make sure you have enough UIM to cover you in the event of a catastrophic claim where the offending party has nothing.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

I too have been with Farmers for 30+ years, have made 3 claims plus a few windshield replacements. Coverage and service have been fine. A couple times through the years I shopped around for a better deal but couldn't find one. Sticking with a long-term carrier is often the best deal because a new carrier underwriting an unknown insured will usually result in a higher premium.

Whatever carrier you go with, consider getting an umbrella policy

No USAA since not a vet.

I quoted progressive and they were dirt cheap but I've read that their online tool frequently gives you a super low rate but that changes once you actually try to make it happen.

Farmers and Cincinatti, hmmmm. Will check out Geico too.

Yeah - we do have an umbrella.

I'm all Nationwide and have been for 30 years. It's been very good, except for the fact that they're probably raping me on costs. But i guess it's not rape if it's consensual.

I recommend finding a local agent. They will be another advocate for you if shit hits the fan.

Talk to me about Insurance: Auto, Home, personal liability

I had Erie for 20+ years for auto/home. No problems, but no claims either. Went to add my new driver daughter to policy last June....auto premium doubled....I was pissed so I went shopping.

After shopping around, I switched to Progressive for auto/home. The first 6 months, even with new driver added, I was able to keep my total premium pretty close to my previous Erie policies.

But here’s the negative....Progressive raised the auto rate way up for the second 6 months. They cranked it up a several hundred dollars....no explanation/no claims...basically cancelling out the savings from Erie policies...Pissed. Bait and Switch bullshit....

So...I’m dropping their asses, and gonna have to shop around again. Pain in the neck process....

Should just go back to my previous agent and Erie....save the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I recommend finding a local agent. They will be another advocate for you if shit hits the fan.
    Best advice here, imo. A local agent will find you the best coverage for your needs because they have tons of insurers to choose from.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

think my insurance costs will hit 35k this year
    fuck insurance, live like white trash and don't bother, bankruptcy and no personal resonsibility is the way to live

health = anthem, no real choice where I live, they ass fuck me every month, but they will be paying big bucks for my dick replacement sugery at the end of summer fuckers

auto and home = usaa, I call all the time with stupid questions and they are very helpful and nice to a dumb ass

liablity, heavy equipment, tools, company vehicles = united fire group, don't ask, they seem ok, what's the facebook response: "it's complicated"

workers comp = pinnacol, insurer of last resort in colorado, my rates are super low with them and they just handed me an $850.00 check because the redistribute money at the end of the year that would be profit but since it's run by the state of colorado more or less they can't keep the money, when my audit is done in a month I'll send them at least a $3,000.00 dollar check go figure

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I have had Geico for autos for years and they have treated me just fine when I needed to make a claim.
    I recently got hit by a semi that was insured by State Farm and it took 3 weeks for them to admit liability so that I can actually fix my car, despite consistent witness statements saying their driver was at fault, and their driver admitting fault in his police statement. So they can get fucked.

I have homo insurance through Progressive (actually underwritten by Homesite) and it is cheap but I have not needed to test it.
    A couple of points. If you are not the driver at fault your insurer should cover your repairs minus your deductible right away. They then go to the other driver's insurance and get reimbursed for their cost plus you get your deductible back. At least that's how it works in CA. (Pro tip--never get hit by someone who has the same insurance company as you or you will find yourself 50% at fault.)

For umbrella coverage, if that's what the OP is talking about when he says personal liability--you need your auto and home with the same insurer and need to carry a large amount of liability coverage on the home and auto.

I'd be leary of changing insurers if you live in a fire prone area. The longer you've been with a company may make a difference when they start not renewing policies, especially if you have multiple policies with the same company. Multiple policies and length you've been with a company usually brings the rates down.

Re companies we've had no reason to change from State Farm but haven't priced insurance in decades. Claims experience has been good, except for the aforementioned 50/50 claim with another State Farm driver. (Wife was T-boned at low speed at a non controlled 4 way residential instersection. Despite being the car on the right and being hit in the side SF called it 50/50).

I’ve had All State, State Farm, Liberty, Modern, and a couple others, the only constant had been my agent.

Find a good one and they will take care of you.

Two roofs, windshields and a palm tree crushing a rental car.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    I have home, auto and personal through Costco Ameriprise. Cheap. Never made a claim to test.
    They won't approve with his claims. I tried when I was shopping. Maybe it was just my claims but it kept me from getting a quote.

I ended up going progressive (from state farm) saved on the car side. The house side went up but state farm had me way underinsured. I was unaware you actually need to have the reassess from time to time. Home side went up like $500/yr. Not exactly a wash, but now I'm covered for over what I believe I could sell for. I was covered for about the lot itself before. A fire or something would've fucked me. Live n learn.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    I had Erie for 20+ years for auto/home. No problems, but no claims either. Went to add my new driver daughter to policy last June....auto premium doubled....I was pissed so I went shopping.

After shopping around, I switched to Progressive for auto/home. At first, even with new driver added, I was able to keep my total premium within a couple hundred dollars of my previous Erie policies.

But here’s the negative....They raised the rate way up for the second 6 months. They cranked it up a few hundred dollars....basically cancelling out the savings from Erie policies...Pissed. Bait and Switch bullshit....

So...I’m dropping their asses, and gonna have to shop around again. Pain in the neck process....

Should just go back to Erie.

The only thing I liked was being able to pay via credit card.
    This is the kind of stuff I was afraid of with the absurdly low rate quoted.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    My state farm rep didn't do shit when they dropped me from homeowners. 20+ year customer. Problem is they only look at the liability based on each property owned. I was a policy holder both auto and home owners since 1996 different homes though (NJ 2x and Utah). 2 pipe/flood claim issues over last 10 years. Like just under $20k and see ya. Didn't look at any customer history..nothing. in 20 years the above 2 claims and 2 small (under 10k) car claims. Nothing more. You're always one claim away from being dropped. It's numbers now, not customer service.

I pulled my auto. Now everything is progressive.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

I should be more clear - find an independent agent, not a captive (ie State Farm).

I believe you have to be careful sticking with the same provider. Premium creep is real and before you know it you will be paying more than you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Amica ranks near the top quite a few comparisons.
    I've been with Amica now for 16 years and have never had an issue with them. I have never needed to make a claim with them but when shopping around for home and auto, no one has been able to beat their prices.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Edit to add: they are not the absolute cheapest but when I compared apples to apples I got apple pie
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    I've been with Amica now for 16 years and have never had an issue with them. I have never needed to make a claim with them but when shopping around for home and auto, no one has been able to beat their prices.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Edit to add: they are not the absolute cheapest but when I compared apples to apples I got apple pie
    Do tell how to discern the apples. I think I built an identical quote for progressive and it was a lot cheaper but it sounds like they bait and switch.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I think it's all a crapshoot, honestly.

For example:

Everyone sings USAA's praises, and I used to as well, been a customer for 25+ years. But the last 5 or so, I have had shit service, and rates getting jacked up, and am reading this thread with interest.

Adrenelated has Geico and likes it, and describes a situation where the other insurer was a pain in the ass in paying claims even though he was clearly at fault. My wife got in small accident with a Geico insured, and the other driver was ticketed for the accident and my wife wasn't, yet Geico refused to accept responsibility and even took the case to arbitration (and lost, 100% at fault).

BC got a great deal from Progressive, then got renewed at a jacked up rate.

They all fucking suck and it's all a crapshoot, pick your poison and hope you don't make a claim.

Still curious about finding a local independent agent though, someone whose office I can easily visit. I used to think USAA was awesome because I didn't deal with an agent, I could talk directly to the company and get straight answer that don't get contradicted later. Then they started sucking, and it felt like they just don't give a shit about keeping me as a customer. Think a local agent might be different. Roll the dice. *shrug*
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy