Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    I do this shit a lot and I agree with neufox 100%.

Also, in some jurisdictions, if you have to sue an insurance company to get coverage you get attorney fees as a matter of right.

(Not legal advice etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    a yappy dog who hates being alone.
    Dogs can be trained if they have decent owners.

Everyone has an insurance index.

Small claims are best self insuring. The limit depends on your wealth. Pay what you can. Lots of small claims are a flag.

When big shit happens there’s not much you can do.

Got a new kitchen 8 years ago from an icemaker leak.

Last week had to dig up my driveway for a new water line. Thinking of a claim. I could pay for the line. But the new driveway is going to suck.

Had a work comp shitbag douche employee. The guy I hired to challenge his claim said his index was four pages long and the kid was only 24 years old!

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Like anything, good and bad brokers. G Gordon is one of the good ones.

Insurance companies...if they were not scammy, those brokers wouldn't have jobs.
    I'm sure he's a great rep and broker. It's the underwriters, actuaries, and adjusters - all of which operate at the behest of the insurer - that love to deny claims and keep the insured from their money.

I've read a few accounts lately of people calling in to their insurance co to discuss whether making a claim is worthwhile, ultimately deciding not to file a claim, but insurance co who is now aware treats it as if a claim was made. Apparently it is policy of some companies to do this, and it has consequences to insurance rates and possibility of getting dropped. Anyone experienced that? Seems like a douchebag move.

I had a dual sport moto stolen a few months ago. Didn't have comprehensive coverage so I couldn't claim it. But did have to cancel the basic coverage I had in it. So insurance co knows it was stolen. Would suck to have rates go up because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I've read a few accounts lately of people calling in to their insurance co to discuss whether making a claim is worthwhile, ultimately deciding not to file a claim, but insurance co who is now aware treats it as if a claim was made. Apparently it is policy of some companies to do this, and it has consequences to insurance rates and possibility of getting dropped. Anyone experienced that? Seems like a douchebag move.

I had a dual sport moto stolen a few months ago. Didn't have comprehensive coverage so I couldn't claim it. But did have to cancel the basic coverage I had in it. So insurance co knows it was stolen. Would suck to have rates go up because of that.
    Yes, I've heard of this and it had it happened to me. Fortunately, I was able to talk to the call center agent off the edge and the claim was not submitted. If I'm going to have a conversation about submitting a claim, I'll usually talk to my agent. They are incented to keep you on the policy so they will typically shoot you straight and in some cases, advocate on your behalf. At the end of the day, an insurance agent is really a salesperson for policies. My agent, until recently, was great in this regard.

Zero dollar claims will show up. But shouldn’t end your insurability.

If a worker cuts his hand and need stitches. Goes to the clinic. We report the claim in case it gets worse. But the $700 bill gets paid directly. The insurance claim is zero.

Advice I got from a work comp expert.

I can’t imagine the same thing wouldn’t work for homeowners. Yeah they see the claim. But they also see the dollar amount. Zero.