Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where'll be the best late-season skiing in the US next week?

Resigned from my job yesterday (last day Friday 4/6), and I'm looking to get a little late-season US skiing in before everything closes down. I'm Pittsburgh based so normally I'd go to Killington for this, but it looks like they must have gotten some rain because a lot of stuff is closed (and I don't feel like driving 9 hours each way to ski laps on Superstar.) Sunday River (3 hours further) seems to still be mostly open, but that's a long drive. Flying somewhere isn't totally out of the question, but is obviously a bigger nut to crack.

So, how about it? Where's the best late season skiing in the US going to be next week?

Check out Afton Alps, MN. My guess is they'll have great corn on the golfcourse.

Seriously though, watch the weather.

Corn season is just kind of kicking off in the intermountain west so there's that, but it's kind of a crapshoot as to where will have the best conditions.

Get on a plane, fly to Seattle, drive to Baker. Or fly to Vancouver and go to Whistler. I believe both are supposed to see snow this week I believe.

Stay away from CO, the snow and weather sucks.

SLC could be another option, if the weather lines up.

Big Sky could work too, Jackson closes this weekend.

Bridger Bowl has been getting nailed since last Saturday! Awesome skiing, bring your transceiver!

I vote Sunshine Village in Banff. Yeah I know it’s Canada but trust me, you won’t regret it. Fly into Calgary and rent a car. It’s cheaper in Canada, plenty of snow and they are still getting more, good skiing and even better views.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    I vote Sunshine Village in Banff. Yeah I know it’s Canada but trust me, you won’t regret it. Fly into Calgary and rent a car. It’s cheaper in Canada, plenty of snow and they are still getting more, good skiing and even better views.
    Seconded. I'd be willing to bet Banff will compare favorably to any major destination in the U.S. when you factor in the exchange rate and it's difficult to find a more beautiful location in the world.

Calgary Airport is easy to get to and the drive to Banff is not long.

And if you wanted to stay on the East Coast Quebec City would be the place to go. Between St. Anne and Massif you should be able to get your fill... Looks like St. Anne's last day is the 22nd.

But if you're hopping on a plane Banff/Sunshine/Louise is your best bet.

I think its still winter everywhere in the interiour of BC and american $ has a pretty good exchange rate
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

A lot of the interior hills close mid April though.

well sure ^^ or they go to a reduced schedule which is easy to check

we had a 20or 30 cm pow cycle last friday,

its snowing a little right now at valley bottom, I got snow in the yard stilland there is snow in the forecast

so my point would be winter seems to be sticking around in BC this yar

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Seconded. I'd be willing to bet Banff will compare favorably to any major destination in the U.S. when you factor in the exchange rate and it's difficult to find a more beautiful location in the world.

Calgary Airport is easy to get to and the drive to Banff is not long.
    I was just there in February for the first time and I’d tend to agree. Damn it was cold though! Also took advantage of end of winter sales and the exchange rate to get some new gear.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7137.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	235.3 KB 
ID:	231026
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Killington is the only ski resort in Vermont, so apparently you are out of luck if you come to this state.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I was just there in February for the first time and I’d tend to agree. Damn it was cold though! Also took advantage of end of winter sales and the exchange rate to get some new gear.

Name:	IMG_7137.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	235.3 KB 
ID:	231026
    unusual ^^ I used to go to banff end of January every year when the pork producers and the doctors are in town for confrence's

In restaurants there is the odd mix of guys wearing Wallabee's/ tweed jackets juxtaposed with fat guys in starter jackets

more often its cold and not much snow especialy in town so the last couple of times I didnt even bother to ski just head to rogers pass before/after the confrence

^^ I spent most of my time skiing around Revelstoke and Kicking Horse... just stayed in Banff on my way back to Calgary, with a day at Lake Louise.

yeah I prefer Revy or KH over LL over Sunshine

I don't jump on too many bandwagons but those SS owners were fucking with the staff and they can kiss my ass

Big sky spring pass is what I'd be looking into

Sent from my Moto G (5) using TGR Forums mobile app

Mt. Bachelor has a pretty sweet spring pass, too, although the price went up on 4/1. Still it's $249 for the rest of the season. Bachelor hasn't had a great snow year, but it's still a pretty great spring skiing destination.
    https://www.mtbachelor.com/info/springtacular/

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Mt. Bachelor has a pretty sweet spring pass, too, although the price went up on 4/1. Still it's $249 for the rest of the season. Bachelor hasn't had a great snow year, but it's still a pretty great spring skiing destination.
    https://www.mtbachelor.com/info/springtacular/
    Could not agree more... I will be there 4/10th to 4/18th and end my season there every year... Cannot beat $199 tics, no lines and snow is suppose to be lining up next week... Bach is not gnar by any stretch, but fun as hell and Bend kicks ass...!

I would have also said JHole, but did not realize they close next week...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Schweitzer Spring Fling pass is $100 and fully applied to next year's season pass (not that OP wants a pass in the west, considering where he lives). As of this morning, we have the most snow recorded for a season, 416" in the village, probably over 500 on top. Plenty of snow, open through 4/15.

Ikon pass works at mammoth as of April 9th... depending on how long you want to go it has some of the best spring to summer skiing in the lower 48.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Where'll be the best late-season skiing in the US next week?

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post

Stay away from CO, the snow and weather sucks.
    Maybe it just sucks where your at?

Name:	Image1522795756.168172.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	818.0 KB 
ID:	231076

OP: How long do you have off and what’s your budget?

2 words for Utah this weekend. Atmospheric river. #nuffsaid

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

I used to make the drive to Jay from the Burgh a bunch. Brutal but worth it usually

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Maybe it just sucks where your at?

Name:	Image1522795756.168172.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	818.0 KB 
ID:	231076
    Great pic

I wouldn't pay good money to travel across the country and buy a lift ticket to Aspen, or anywhere else in CO right now. WA, MT, WY, or BC are a much better option.

I have skied a lot of day this season, and still am, but it's definitely getting harder to motivate.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    2 words for Utah this weekend. Atmospheric river. #nuffsaid

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    I’ll be at the bird/Alta this weekend and Monday. Should I pray for this?