Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    How do you get internet for 65? I tried to get my bill lowered and they were like "nope".

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    You could try a wifi extender if the neighbor is in line of site. Has Google refused to extend it to your property?
    Google Fiber ends at the SLC city limits, I'm 2 houses outside the limits. I think they are expanding to entire neighborhoods now, and not just single houses so I haven't asked.

Is there a general consensus on IPTV? I cut the cord long ago, use an antenna for OTA and have Netflix. It's been ok, but I severely missed having Turner Classic Movies and recently discovered a sport called 'baseball' that I quite enjoy watching.

Wouldn't say I've gotten bit by the home theater bug but I've got a decent comfortable set up that I'm spending more time with.

Trying IPTV (BeastTV) for a month and love it. Something like 2600 channels. Movies, TCM of course, sports, even a XXX section (I've had a peak a few times and it's embarrassingly bad, not that I'm a critic).

But yeah we all will make our choices regarding piracy. Some are dead against it - some simply don't care - I find most people are somewhere in between.

But IPTV is on another level - I'm paying some guy to 'harvest' all these channels illegally and give me access to them - that's really really greasy..

Damn. I just got off the phone with Verizon and keeping just internet doesn't make sense. We have an old router that is no longer supported so have to upgrade and have to upgrade the outside service box for a large one time fee. Between all of that and having to pay for at least one streaming service brings it to within a few dollars of what we're paying now for tv, phone and internet. They also won't let me just sign a new contract because of the old service box and unsupported router so just renewing will cost nearly $200 plus $198/mo. Comcast costs more and those are the only two choices. We were going to go with DirecTv last summer but the neighbor won't cut down a half dozen trees so we can't get a good line of sight. I can't wait for 5G to come here, it sure will be nice when there is another way to get internet that's reasonably fast and reliable without being tied to these legacy companies that have us by the balls.

Still running the early Roku. It gets clogged up and has to restart sometimes but I prefer it.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Google Fiber ends at the SLC city limits, I'm 2 houses outside the limits. I think they are expanding to entire neighborhoods now, and not just single houses so I haven't asked.
    is the centurylink competitive pricing available for you? I signed up for that before my house was wired for fiber and the service has been good enough I haven't bothered switching yet

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Damn. I just got off the phone with Verizon and keeping just internet doesn't make sense. We have an old router that is no longer supported so have to upgrade and have to upgrade the outside service box for a large one time fee. Between all of that and having to pay for at least one streaming service brings it to within a few dollars of what we're paying now for tv, phone and internet. They also won't let me just sign a new contract because of the old service box and unsupported router so just renewing will cost nearly $200 plus $198/mo. Comcast costs more and those are the only two choices. We were going to go with DirecTv last summer but the neighbor won't cut down a half dozen trees so we can't get a good line of sight. I can't wait for 5G to come here, it sure will be nice when there is another way to get internet that's reasonably fast and reliable without being tied to these legacy companies that have us by the balls.
    Did you check out Comcast internet only? Verizon Fios or DSL? (You mention an old router- Fios has an ONT device and you do not need any modem. Can provide and connect your own router to either the Verizon DSL modem, or the Fios ONT) for a single 1 time fee of purchasing a new router AC1900 or so depending on the speed and number of devices being connected.)

Also cutting the cord typically means you also do not have to sign up for long contract periods. You have internet and then can pick a streaming service for a few months, turn it off if you want something different or are not using it (like the summer time or just sign up for a service for a sports season only...

Comcast will cost considerably more because the coax cable from the nearest pole got torn out during a storm last year so we'd have to pay to have the house connected from the street. Then we need new work done at the house end to fix the damage when the wire got torn out.

Apparently our system is outdated so Verizon will have to upgrade the box on the outside of the house to the new high speed one and we'd need the router @$12/mo or we can buy our own. Replacing that outside box is a couple of hundred dollars.

The contract was if we don't cut it and stayed with the service we have now but that won't work well either. Due to the old equipment they won't give us a new contract without replacing that old stuff and they won't update stuff without a very large one time fee.

Expereinces with digital antennas? I'm working with a flat coastal area with TV stations 35-40 miles away. what I'm reading says indoor amplified should work fine -.

and another question. Do you get portability with Youtube sling tv etc. ? i.e. can I use it in differing cities for one price?
    Last edited by Marshall Tucker; 09-18-2019 at 07:13 AM.
    "Can't you see..."

Cutting the cable cord

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Expereinces with digital antennas? I'm working with a flat coastal area with TV stations 35-40 miles away. what I'm reading says indoor amplified should work fine -.

and another question. Do you get portability with Youtube sling tv etc. ? i.e. can I use it in differing cities for one price?
    My 2 digital, very cheap, antennas work great. One in a suburb of Seattle, and another picks up a signal from a mountain about 20 miles away. Both are directional antennas. Sling works everywhere itís allowed. (Didnít work in China.). We use it in the car all the time for example.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda