Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    One thing to know about Directv stream--you buy the device for each TV at $30 per, if it breaks you buy another one. And with Fidium--you don't have to use their router if you already have a good one and that saves some money. With cable internet we had a router and an extender and still lousy wireless in parts of the house. Fidium gave us a mesh system with 3 devices. Much better coverage in the house.
    Which is why I am considering YouTube TV. Dirtbag question: can you access everything for DirecTV stream using a PC without their devices? If so do they require you to buy at least one? Because

Regarding the router, funny you mention that, local facecrack page has folks who switched to Fidium and went back Xfinity because, are you ready for it? The wifi signal didn't cover their whole house. Snicker.

Meanwhile I'm stuck waiting for them to start connecting people at my end of the street. Any week now, so they say.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    People who think they can save real money on this shit and still get what they want are delusional. Maybe five years ago. These companies have it all figured out, and they're smarter than you.
    It’s not hard. We have Max for $9.99 a month, Peacock for $4.99/mo and Paramount+ for $4.99/mo. Occasionally we add Netflix for a little bit for $10/mo if they have anything new. Then add PBS for free, the local news app for free, and ESPN with my parents’ login. So we’re paying $20/mo most of the time and it covers just about everything (caveat, I don’t care about most live sports).

What does Max offer?

It’s Discovery & HBO together… lots of good series and original programming. Better than Netflix these days, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    It’s not hard. We have Max for $9.99 a month, Peacock for $4.99/mo and Paramount+ for $4.99/mo. Occasionally we add Netflix for a little bit for $10/mo if they have anything new. Then add PBS for free, the local news app for free, and ESPN with my parents’ login. So we’re paying $20/mo most of the time and it covers just about everything (caveat, I don’t care about most live sports).
    When I read this I think thanks for proving my point.

Anyone ever used Speedify or another service or equipment to “bond” two types of internet connections?

A friend works remotely using a lot of video conferencing. He’s considering a move, but there’s no fiber optic or coax at the road. Current residents are using Starlink with success, but his boss is saying others in their organization not so much. We’re thinking there’s decent access to 4G that could be “bonded” together with Starlink to mimic a high speed low latency connection. Any experience? Thoughts?

Router/firewalls that support multiple connections will have basic failover at a minimum. Most have the ability to create routing policies to direct specific traffic to either internet connection. In your friends case, I would think starlink should be the primary with a 4g failover.

That said, starlink does switch satellites regularly and if I was concerned about maintaining reliable video conferencing connections I would stick with hardline.

I think the idea is for the upstream traffic to be on the lower latency network.

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    Anyone ever used Speedify or another service or equipment to “bond” two types of internet connections?

A friend works remotely using a lot of video conferencing. He’s considering a move, but there’s no fiber optic or coax at the road. Current residents are using Starlink with success, but his boss is saying others in their organization not so much. We’re thinking there’s decent access to 4G that could be “bonded” together with Starlink to mimic a high speed low latency connection. Any experience? Thoughts?
    I would not hold up hope, but have not used Speedify before. The best bonding is from the same ISP and they do the combined connection. The services are basically taking 2 different data streams at possibly different packet levels and trying to resolve the 2 different IP addresses and maybe other issues with a VPN type of activity. But he could give it a try and see how it works for a month or so.

I agree it’s a tall task and I’m no computer whiz.

As I understand it you have it right, RShea, it’s packet by packet running through a VPN to maximize the transmission speed.

Router or other equipment can balance the data stream sending different operations or demands from machines through different connections, but can’t necessarily detect the latency differences and route through the faster connection. I keep hearing that Starlink is stable enough that as rare as it chokes you don’t really need an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Which is why I am considering YouTube TV. Dirtbag question: can you access everything for DirecTV stream using a PC without their devices? If so do they require you to buy at least one? Because

Regarding the router, funny you mention that, local facecrack page has folks who switched to Fidium and went back Xfinity because, are you ready for it? The wifi signal didn't cover their whole house. Snicker.

Meanwhile I'm stuck waiting for them to start connecting people at my end of the street. Any week now, so they say.
    Reading Directv's site it sounds like you can watch on a device or PC anywhere but it's not clear if you can watch the full range of programming or limited content. I haven't tried. With Fidium, if you use their equipment you get up to three routers for the price. Ours works fine in a 2 story 2700 sf house--wood lath and plaster downstairs, drywall upstairs. Small rooms.