Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Riser, our Spectrum cable speed is about 100 down and 8 up and we have no issues using 2 tv's streaming from a wifi router, computer usage and wifi phones, so something sounds odd about your comment. The 5G could be faster than what I have now, BUT it depends on signal strength.
    Im not saying I have an issue now, other than an expensive bill. I'm saying my usage case would not work well over a wireless service.

Time for a change? I have been held captive by Spectrum (previously TWC) forever as the only internet provider in my area. Basic Cable is $70 a month with them. I also have bundled local stations, HBO, Cinemax and Showtime with them. Includes ESPN and NFL channels for the rare football game I watch. Bill is up to $170 a month and we pay Netflix around $13, so the bill is getting stoopid.
    Has anyone here signed up for T Mobiles 5G streaming Home Service yet? At $50 a month that saves a bit and I could switch to Sling's Orange plan for $35 and get most of the NFL games I do now and add HBO for another $10, so all in less than $100 and I think we would be happy with that if the T Mobile 5G doesn't create buffering issues for us.
    What do you think?
    The T-Mobile Home Internet is something that you could definitely investigate and try if it is available. They limit the number of sign up's so it may report not available right now in your area. You can get on a wait list or others have reported they use another address to qualify. It is cellular, so you could be getting 4G signal only or have some 5G towers near you and experience higher speeds. It is unlimited data, but as with cellular location to the towers and position of the device is key to the success. They provide the hardware device (Nokia 5G device mostly now) and sim and there is no contract so you can give it a go. I'd recommend having a month of both and give it a try. Then if it works for you cancel the Spectrum. If speeds are an issue (especially during peak times) then you could always go back to Spectrum and may even qualify for their new customer deals and a price reduction...

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Anyone doing LTE home internet through Verizon (5g isn't available here yet)? Says 25-50 mbps download speeds for only $40 a month instead of $165. I'm currently sitting at 35mbps today with cable internet from Xfinity.
    Thinking of ditching the cable internet and cable TV after football season. I can get local channels through an antenna, and stream just about everything else I need. I basically only watch Shark Tank and Football on the cables... Not worth the $$$ at all.
    Which Verizon plan is that- their Home Internet offering, or one of their Hot Spot offerings? If it is their Home Internet the cost per month that I've read is $60 and is supposed to be unlimited data (but they probably have times that they have slower speeds due to congestion). If it is a Hot Spot or some cellular plan, then check and see how much high speed data they offer and if the throttle the plan if you go over a set amount of 4G data.

Well darn, my address is not yet available with T Mobile's 5G for home wireless.
    Get on their list then. It was not available when I first checked and then in a few weeks they called and said it was now available. That was almost a year ago when it was a bit earlier in their 5G roll out and cellular tower upgrades. They do not want to overload their towers too much.

I hear you and thanks for your comments. I did but my name on the wait list yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I just picked up a new TV.

With a modern smart TV - Is there any reason to keep my Roku plugged in? It’s the higher end Roku “Ultra 4k”.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

With a modern smart TV - Is there any reason to keep my Roku plugged in? It’s the higher end Roku “Ultra 4k”.

Typically Smart TV apps run slower and the TVs have worse wifi connectivity. Usually a Roku will run faster/better than the TV itself unless the TV was $1500+.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

One thing about the Roku Ultra is the updates may be different in the long run. While your TV is new, and may in fact be on the same software and firmware as the latest Roku Ultra, at some point others report that their TV gets left behind and they have to get an newer external device to keep up.

Spend some time comparing the 2- remote controls, apps loading, memory available, etc. and then if the TV is keeping up, you may want for now to just use the TV built in Roku offerings. There could though be some differences and maybe worth spending time seeing if the TV is as good and fast as the higher end Roku Ultra.

Can you control the TV (power, volume, settings) with your external Roku? We can’t with ours, but it’s an older model. That would be a decider for me.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

We have an external Roku and a Roku TV and I absolutely hate the interface on both of them. Our big TV is a Samsung and I much prefer that one.

Thanks for the input all. I’ll keep the Roku plugged in and see what sticks…

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Typically Smart TV apps run slower and the TVs have worse wifi connectivity. Usually a Roku will run faster/better than the TV itself unless the TV was $1500+.
    I bought a $1400 LG A1 OLED. So it’s a nice TV, although not their flagship C1…

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Can you control the TV (power, volume, settings) with your external Roku? We can’t with ours, but it’s an older model. That would be a decider for me.
    Yeah - The TV came with LGs smart remote and I bought the matching LG soundbar so everything works on the one remote (including the roku). I’m super stoked about this.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I use one of these.

https://www.sideclickremotes.com/pro...yers-new-model

I was watching some family member's dogs for a week last month and stayed at their place. The have satellite TV and the I couldn't get over how many commercials there were. and hour and a half movie takes 3 hours to watch with commercials. Made me glad I got rid of cable years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    Will this control an HDMI receiver too or can it only to TVs?

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Will this control an HDMI receiver too or can it only to TVs?
    You can program the individual buttons to whatever you want.

OK, so football is over. I have 0 need for local channels now, so it is time to cancel my TV package with Spectrum. We already have Amazon and Netflix and I will add HBO. Anything else you guys think is good to have? In the fall when Direct TV does their NFL special (Free Sunday NFL Ticket) I may go back to them for a year.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

OK, so football is over. I have 0 need for local channels now, so it is time to cancel my TV package with Spectrum. We already have Amazon and Netflix and I will add HBO. Anything else you guys think is good to have? In the fall when Direct TV does their NFL special (Free Sunday NFL Ticket) I may go back to them for a year.
    You can do Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ as a package deal. We get it for free with our Verizon account, but I think it's like $15 or something standalone

I think HULU is just delayed TV shows and some movies and that package is closer to $70 a month, so nope, but thanks for the suggestion.

I think HULU is just delayed TV shows and some movies and that package is closer to $70 a month, so nope, but thanks for the suggestion.
    I’m guessing that’s the one that has live TV. This is the one I was thinking of.

https://www.hulu.com/hulu-disney-espn-bundle-offer

Just got my Starlink setup kit today, looking forward to ditching Spectrum entirely, they've been the only source for cable and internet until now here. Planning to go with Fubo for local channels and NESN. Already have smart TVs so all should be good. If Starlink works as advertised I'll be super stoked.

One big advantage of streaming, do not have to sign up for any 1 year or any length of contract. Start it up for a particular show or season of sports and cancel it when ever you want.

There is Hulu (which they run a $1 (.99 cents maybe) special every Black Friday for new customers. Regularly it is $6.99 I believe after the special ends or if you miss that deal. It is different than Hulu Plus Live TV which is exactly what you state I believe $69.99 per month and includes local live TV with Disney and ESPN+. They also have options for "no" commercials for the 2 offerings also.

Looking around, Apple TV is $5 a month. Anything you guys like there?

Mosquito Coast, Defending Jacob, and The Morning Show have all kept me entertained. There’s probably been more good shows that have come online lately but I haven’t been paying close attention. I’ve been meaning to cancel my AppleTV. It seems good as a supplement to another service like Netflix, but personally I don’t need two subscriptions for the amount of TV we watch

Foundation is also a good show to add for Apple.