Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    LEMMY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Last time I was with them (in PDX ~6 months ago), I paid about $80/month for internet only. I think it was Blast level whatever that means. Never had bandwidth issues.
    This is what it is for us in Denver. ~$80/mo.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    This is what it is for us in Denver. ~$80/mo.
    Add ~$40 for PS Vue, $10 for Netflix, $10 for Amazon, $10 for HBO and $10 for HULU you still end up a bit less than what the Comcast cable package was, and a hell of a lot cheaper than going to the bar to watch games.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Leaf antenna plus Roku or firestick depending on tv. If there's a sport that I really need to watch i will do a sling tv trial, but their buffering seems lacking sometimes. I'll try the other options here.

I wasn't into watching this year so it didn't really matter, but was shocked last night's NCAA championship wasn't on cbs. So there will be more incentive for me to check out the reddit subs for next time

I live in sf and we can't get NBC on antenna cause it's in SJ, so I might upgrade to a roof antenna. Anyone have a rec?
    Distance is still going to factor into even a Roof antenna- Channel Master would be one to investigate- amplified and other things like a rotor motor option if you have towers in different directions. ClearStream or Mohu Sky possibly also would be worth a look if you are closer. Do not forget to ground the outdoor antenna properly. Mostly anything more than 60 miles could be a troublesome process of finding one that will work in all weather and cloud cover etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    looks like i need to keep my xfinity wifi (which is ok)...in order to keep my xfinity mobile phone. dropping the tv ill look into the outside ant. setup with a roku or similar.
    No XFinity in our area, but you mention specifically their wifi? Is this just a wifi connection, or are they doing like so many of the companies providing you cable modem via a coax wired connection and then charging a fee for using their wifi off the modem/router for your devices? In our area Spectrum now has gone to $5 per month just to turn on the wifi capabilities. You can tell them no and just connect your own router or wireless access points to the coax internet connection and forego their "wifi" supplying your own wifi...
    Last edited by RShea; 04-03-2018 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALL TUCKER View Post
    So serious question. let me say up front I am totally adicted to the speed and reliablity of xfinity WiFi, but I live in a major metro area where they have the franchise. if you go just internet with them, how much do you "really" save? right now I got the full hookup, virtually unlimited harddrive, HBO/Cmax/Showtime hell everything but dumb ass movie channel, netflix, but no amazon or hulu. I got two more TVs with basic cable; and lan line bundled in for about $250 a month. I gather for the WiFi by itself i'm in for $100/month.
    I pay ~$80/mo for pretty much just internet, but they jack it up every 12 months and I have to go into the store to re-sign up for the intro deal.

I find these discussion annoying, because for me the real issue isn't "cutting the cord", because I'm still stuck with Xfinity. With my only other option being the only company in the universe worse than Comcast: CenturyLink. That said, I have only basic cable TV along with my internet, because it costs almost nothing (because they give you a discount for having "2 services"); it gets me local channels but nothing else. But you can try using antennas to get the local channels, the easy ones didn't work for me and it wasn't worth trying to mount a larger one on my roof.

I wish the options available to us included different internet providers, then we'd be talking!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I’m in the mountains so no antennae for me, we have a roku device with Netflix, amazon and just switched from sling to Hulu live. Hulu live is basically like having cable for $40 a month,and not as much buffering issues like on sling.

Due to where I live I found this small internet company, they are really small but is great due to them not being Comcast, or centurylink.

https://www.hilltop-broadband.com/residential

They are in some areas of the front range.

I live in a major city:

- $40/mo xfinity - nothing else comes to my building. I'll probably loose this rate in a month.
    - $35ish/mo streaming netflix/hbonow/prime
    - $3/mo magicjack - need a local number for the building keypad.
    - two $30 TV antennas, I get 54 local HD channels.
    - I bought my own modem and router years ago.... never ever pay comcast for these.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    - I bought my own modem and router years ago.... never ever pay comcast for these.....
    I am one of those fools that pays comcast for this item, mostly because IME whenever you have a problem with service, they will blame it on your modem/router if it isn't theirs.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    I need cable so I can stop watching the walking dead on AMC.
    Seriously I do more YouTube than TV but the wife needs her cable programs. Like Oprah's Own - FX - Cooking - AMC and so on. Can't blame her.

Unlimited Internet - unlimited long distance calling us + canada - 75 stations - PVR cost me $205 a month.
    If I cut TV it will only save me $90 a month and that's not much.
    90 bucks a month = New Billy Goats + 4 flats of beer in a year's time.

Sent from my XP7700 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I am one of those fools that pays comcast for this item, mostly because IME whenever you have a problem with service, they will blame it on your modem/router if it isn't theirs.
    Plus you want a new router every couple of years. If you run old hardware you will get much lower speeds.

Plus you want a new router every couple of years. If you run old hardware you will get much lower speeds.
    Ya, I've had a few routers replaced by AT&T. Seems simpler just to use thiers.

I was going to go antenna and internet TV. Bought an antenna, but it just wasn't working that great. Just about that time, AT&T sent me an offer that they put fiber in my hood and they were running a special with DirectTV. Got a great package with all my sports on three TVs and 100g internet for $115 a month. Sure, I'll be haggling with them in a year, but not bad for now.

Why? Do they actually get slower over time, or is it that cable or fiber internet keeps getting faster?

For context for my question - I'm on DSL, which is the only internet option at my house, and tops out at 6mbps. My router isn't my bottleneck...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Yeah you probably don't need a new router.

I got a new one about 5 years ago, to get more range in a new house. Still same old slow DSL though.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Some of the news and sports channels on Roku have really improved over the past few months. I think they finally figured out if they provide content people will watch.

Also here's a cool app for seeing what's new from Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, etc,

https://www.justwatch.com/us

It's a lot easier to look for everthing in one place instead of searching through a bunch of shitty UI.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    Some of the news and sports channels on Roku have really improved over the past few months. I think they finally figured out if they provide content people will watch.

Also here's a cool app for seeing what's new from Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, etc,

https://www.justwatch.com/us

It's a lot easier to look for everthing in one place instead of searching through a bunch of shitty UI.
    You nailed it with shitty UIs. That's the major issue. There needs to be a one stop for all your subscriptions. This is what prevents my family from the switch. Needed apps on a phone or multiple subscriptions to get all the content you want doesn't work with smaller kids. It's just too complicated. The firestick and Plex server (for torrented stuff) works great for wife and I. Can access our personal library and Amazon content. Could get a streaming service that works with it and might be able to swing it, but still not easy.
    Anyone have any overages on the internet only and streaming? Most providers put a cap on monthly usage. Sadly the tv is on a lot here, so in worry about internet overages. Also streaming to multiple devices. 4 seems to be a max and I'd need that many exactly, but then what if I want to watch on a 5th? Cable still has the one stop shop locked. That's what sucks.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Why? Do they actually get slower over time, or is it that cable or fiber internet keeps getting faster?

For context for my question - I'm on DSL, which is the only internet option at my house, and tops out at 6mbps. My router isn't my bottleneck...
    Yeah, you may not need a new one.

My in-laws had fiber internet that was always running SUPER slow. Couldn't figure it out, until we realized they had a ten year old router. Got my FIL to upgrade to a new modem and new router and now they have the fastest internet of anyone I know.

Comcast doesn't just send out up to date hardware. I got fed up and bought my own. Of course mine needs updating sorely. At least I am not renting old junk. Mine is bought and paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Comcast doesn't just send out up to date hardware. I got fed up and bought my own. Of course mine needs updating sorely. At least I am not renting old junk. Mine is bought and paid for.
    They don't automatically send you new ones. But whenever I go in to the store to renegotiate my deal, I bring my modem to see if I'm due, and have often walked out with new equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Anybody doing Youtube TV? Seems like a pretty good deal, although they've already raised it from $35/mo to $40.
    I have it. It's amazing, but only available in major cities mostly. Split the family plan with a few co-workers so I pay about 5 bucks a month.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

They don't automatically send you new ones. But whenever I go in to the store to renegotiate my deal, I bring my modem to see if I'm due, and have often walked out with new equipment.
    Well the should, damit, for the price they charge. And I want a reach around. Plus, the whole trial/renogiation cycle should be fucking illegal. Set a reasonable price and that's the price. It should be a highly regulated utility. They should have to grovel to a utilities board and justify any rate increase.

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    I have it. It's amazing, but only available in major cities mostly. Split the family plan with a few co-workers so I pay about 5 bucks a month.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Is local news and sports available on it

I pay ~$80/mo for pretty much just internet, but they jack it up every 12 months and I have to go into the store to re-sign up for the intro deal.

I find these discussion annoying, because for me the real issue isn't "cutting the cord", because I'm still stuck with Xfinity. With my only other option being the only company in the universe worse than Comcast: CenturyLink. That said, I have only basic cable TV along with my internet, because it costs almost nothing (because they give you a discount for having "2 services"); it gets me local channels but nothing else. But you can try using antennas to get the local channels, the easy ones didn't work for me and it wasn't worth trying to mount a larger one on my roof.

I wish the options available to us included different internet providers, then we'd be talking!
    Cellular data is starting to approach speeds that some are fully cutting their cable. But 5G will probably be the one that gives some more people that cable companies maybe not needed and closer to acceptable speeds on wireless cellular networks.

Renting comcast equipment is just bad economics.

Current price to rent a modem from Comcast Is $11/mo.

You can get a gigabit speed Netgear modem on Prime for $98 delivered today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA