Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Heads up to those who use TV antennas... I noticed I lost a few channels, I reran “find channels” thru my TV menu, and boom all my channels back.

Pretty amazing I can get 40+ HD channels including each of the major networks; all on a $15 indoor antenna just sitting inside a drawer in my media center...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Good for you. I can't. The move to digital screwed me over. VT is hit or miss depending on which pimple you live behind.

I have given Youtube TV a spin as an alternative to Cable.

Pretty impressed. All my locals, all the sports I want except for MLB TV ( I already knew that), streaming of movies and past content.

All in all a pretty decent value at $ 49.95.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

^ I finally found the "live" screen on my PC. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to come up from the samsung app....just shows this jumble of videos that I have no interest in...
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    ^ I finally found the "live" screen on my PC. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to come up from the samsung app....just shows this jumble of videos that I have no interest in...
    You tube TV app or just the You Tube app on the Samsung? Get one of the Roku or FireTV for the TV and use that for You Tube TV and the local channels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    You tube TV app or just the You Tube app on the Samsung?
    So youtube app is diferent from YouTube TV app?

Really? Who knew?

(finally figured that out late yesterday. works perfectly now)

(duh)
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Finstock View Post
    + taxes & fees. My last verizon bill included $22.00 in taxes & fees.
    My latest verizon bill now includes $28.67 in taxes & fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    So youtube app is diferent from YouTube TV app?

Really? Who knew?

(finally figured that out late yesterday. works perfectly now)

(duh)
    YES, 2 different services of course. You Tube has been around then they added the streaming service and used You Tube TV and it is a paid subscription different than even the Premium You Tube that allows viewing the free stuff without ad interruption.

Cutting the cable cord

PSA: today is last day for YouTube 2 week free trial.

I’m trying to get my head around Hulu live/no commercials vs YouTube live content. For $6 you can get Hulu content and on demand stuff....with commercials I think. On first blush, I did not see much past on demand episodes on a couple searches with YouTube TV. Correct or what am I missing?

Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

got an email fucking youtubetv is jacking their price $15/mo ($49.99 --> $64.99)
    just canceled
    without any sports on, i really haven't been watching anyway
    i'll reevaluate if/when sports start going again

Pretty amazing I can get 40+ HD channels including each of the major networks; all on a $15 indoor antenna just sitting inside a drawer in my media center...
    Dug this thread up to ask: any strong preference or recommendations on a digital antenna? Or are they more or less the same. Looking to buy one soon.

Wirecutter has recs that I assume are fine: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...-hdtv-antenna/

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Dug this thread up to ask: any strong preference or recommendations on a digital antenna? Or are they more or less the same. Looking to buy one soon.

Wirecutter has recs that I assume are fine: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...-hdtv-antenna/
    You have to do the research. How far from you house are the various transmission towers? What spectrums or frequencies (UHF, VHF or HiV- High VHF) are the channels and how far? Rabbitears or the official FCC Web site for OTA TV Antenna have a lookup for you to enter your address and then report the distances and directions. Color coding to see if indoor antenna (under 20 miles is best, sometimes a bit further), attic mounted antenna (type of roof material, etc) or outdoor antenna either on the roof or on a pole or tower if you want 50-60 mile or so ranges. Yagi outdoor antenna's, but some if they have 2 different directions are better off with 2 directional antennas instead of a weaker omni-directional antenna. Terrain and other things also affect what works of course.

And also to clarify- there is no such thing as a digital Antenna- an Antenna is an antenna, whether the broadcast is the newer digital TV spectrums - they are still either UHF or VHF just like the old Analog TV and any designation of a "Digital TV" antenna is just marketing.
    Last edited by RShea; 02-25-2021 at 10:09 PM.

Cutting the cable cord

There are websites that will tell you what you can get from your address from the various antenna types. But if you live in a major metro or suburb close by you can likely get the 4 major networks in HD with a $15 indoor antenna.

All the other over the air channels are garbage anyway....

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

There are websites that will tell you what you can get from your address from the various antenna types. But if you live in a major metro or suburb close by you can likely get the 4 major networks in HD with a $15 indoor antenna.

Pretty much this. I have an older version of the Mohu Leaf and it works fine. All my signals are within 30 miles (pretty much in town so no issues there). I do have to move it around for different channels but it doesn't bother me and I'm bothered by everything. You might get some weird versions of the normal networks but for the most part it's the major networks, maybe WB and a couple PBS stations.

^^^ Do you notice that Fox and ABC are a little funky?

What is really odd is that when I was streaming them with You-Tube TV they were equally funky.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    ^^^ Do you notice that Fox and ABC are a little funky?

What is really odd is that when I was streaming them with You-Tube TV they were equally funky.
    Although I watch so little tv other than sports so I'm not sure but yes, some of the channels are a bit glitchy or the sound is a little off.

Yep that is it.

I'm pretty sure the 4 majors are *also* garbage.

I'll give PBS a pass as "not garbage" at this time.

We did it. It's not really much cheaper, if at all, after you get a couple of subs so that you can have all the channels everyone wants. The upside is we got this crazy fast internet because I didn't want to hear whining about "I can't get on" "my phone keeps dropping out" etc. so it's super fast now. We can run both tv's, a laptop or three and a couple of phones at once with no noticeable degradation.

In Seattle it’s the 4 major networks, PBS, a few classic movie channels, and about 30 Korean channels.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Bump. Keep it here.

We finally did it - about a month in an no issues.

Got the T-Mobile 5G Home Gateway........($50 a mo includes the HW - no contract). Sling "Blue" ($35 a mo) and 2 roku express sticks @~$30 ea and 2 Amplified HD Antennas also around $30 ea.

Thing handles 2 TVs streaming the sling via the Rokus, with the Boy on the PS4 streaming and wife and I both VPN sessions for work all at same time. No Issues (yet).

Antennas ok for local TV - very finicky tho - 1ft either way things come and go. If it wasn't football season I wouldn't care. As the local NBC (for local news/weather) is available on Sling. Antennas only needed for FOX/CBS/PBS.

Was paying Cox $216 a mo (expanded cable and internet) - now $85 a mo.
    Last edited by pepperdawg; 09-24-2021 at 10:15 AM. Reason: me spell no so good

We are about 8 months in.
    The only thing I miss is the one thing my wife convinced me we wouldn't lose- Rays baseball.
    Bally bought out the contract the week after we made the switch, and immediately got into it with Hulu Live.
    I have watched a total of 3 games this year. I refuse to watch on ESPN.

Otherwise it has been cool- the 200 hrs of cloud based DVR is nice.
    My Amazon Fire Stick likes to freeze Hulu Live a lot, but I just watch through the PS4 when that happens.
    Still pretty annoying though.

My wife tells me we are saving money, but with a subscription to every streaming service known to man, I am not sure how that is possible. She seems happy about it, so yay.

Have you looked at MLBTV for games? If you’re out of market you can watch them all live. That’s what I do

Still blacked out in market, and if I use a VPN, Hulu only lets you change locations a few times to prevent theft.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    My wife tells me we are saving money, but with a subscription to every streaming service known to man, I am not sure how that is possible. She seems happy about it, so yay.
    Aw shit, do we have the same wife? She convinced me we would save money but holy fuck we subscribe to every single streaming service known to man, she handles it, but there is no way what we are doing now is cheaper than what we were doing before. She is happy, so yay for me too.