Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    ^^^ Phillies Braves last night was an ESPN2 game so my MLB package was blacked out, again.
    That what I don't like. What the good in paying for any of those sports packages if the team you follow is blacked out??? I don't want to watch those other teams, I want to watch my team.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    That what I don't like. What the good in paying for any of those sports packages if the team you follow is blacked out??? I don't want to watch those other teams, I want to watch my team.
    I had NBA TV and the Nuggets were blacked out. I did get to watch a bunch of Celtics games, but every time they were on ESPN or TNT (which was often) it was blacked out.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

These streaming services aren’t making any money. We’ll continue to see price increases and consolidation. In 5 years we’ll be back where we started, paying one big bill to one service….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I had NBA TV and the Nuggets were blacked out. I did get to watch a bunch of Celtics games, but every time they were on ESPN or TNT (which was often) it was blacked out.
    NBC Sports Boston carries all of the regular season. I'm guessing availability is regional. For post season it seems like I need ESPN, TNT, (and TBS?)..

Post season is also ABC
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Cutting the cable cord

Post season is also ABC
    Seems like only the weekend games so far tho and for game 6, they broadcast hockey here instead. 🤬

ESPN lets you watch free, using their app - not ideal, but it does work.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

We recently switched to Fidium 1 gig and directv stream. Expensive to be sure but less than we were paying for cable plus internet.

I've already done the homework regarding TV reception. It's grim. Antenna is a crap shoot at best. Digital TV screwed us I'm close enough to the ridge between Saint Albans and Fairfield that it obstructs reception of everything on Mount Mansfield, which is the majority of our channels. I would think that I'd be able to get the ones broadcasting from Upstate off Lyon Mountain, however, the neighbor's huge ass trees block that pretty damn well and I'd need a tall tower to get over them. My house is too short by at least 20 feet. I tried some pretty expensive indoor antennas and amplifiers with no luck. RadioShack took them back.

My TV + internet bundle from Comcast currently costs me ~$226 with taxes and fees. I haven't begged for a new bundle deal because the Fiber is supposed to be here any day now. Fidium 1 and 2 gig both climb to $95 after a year. If we say $80 for a streaming package with taxes and fees, I'm still nowhere near the half that ISBM stated.

Do I really need a 2Gbps asynchronous internet? With Fidium's price points it makes the most sense. They offer 50, 250, 1 Gig, and 2 Gig. What I really need is the increased upload speed of the synchronous connection. Between a mandated remote backup solution and or use of OneDrive, regular large file support uploads, and simultaneous video calls for both my wife and I, we're struggling with asynch cable internet I would probably be good with a dedicated 500 Meg synchronous connection. The 250 Mbps offering hits $85 after 1 year and might be hard pressed once you throw in any additional TV streaming on top. Another $10 and we can go to 2Gbps. There's some monthly savings for the first year which opens the door for slower service for the first year and then bump up the service once the price difference isn't as huge.

That's why I'm wondering if there are creative ways to stitch it all together. Including using a computer as a TV input. Simultaneous screen number can be reduced if it's different services as it is rare that we all need TV channels at the same time. Unfortunately the Sports Boston channel seems to be the only way to avoid blackouts for Celtics home games, at least on Comcast.
    A few comments- Radio Shack has pretty much not been a leader of antennas and electronics for years after they closed all their stores. And indoor antennas that claim 60 miles or more are usually good for only 1/2 that distance. Outdoor tower (best choice) mounted or roof top with a mount somehow either on a tripod and pole extending it up a bit or mounted on the side of the roof peak. Pull up the Rabbit Ears web site report for you address- showing the direction and distances of the various towers and use that report to talk to some of the better antenna manufacturers directly (ChannelMaster, Wineguard, Antennas Direct, Televes, and a few others) and of course make sure they handle the UHF, VHF, and HighV if your channel listing shows all 3 of the frequencies on your report in use in your area. Do not forget the amplifier needs to be as close to the antenna as possible and some also benefit greatly with LTE/Cellular filter on their setup also to improve the TV signal and block the cellular transmission interference.

Any streaming or even cable or satellite are having to pay rebroadcasting fees for local and have contracts and so you are paying more for those to get the same as antenna for free. The Peacock (NBC), Paramount (CBS) and then maybe some ABC option could maybe get you close. But still no Fox (football and NFL and a few other things they offer)...

As for speeds of internet- really depends on how many devices, type of use, and number of TV's you want to be streaming at 1 time. I'd venture to say that a typical household can get by with somewhere between 200 Mbps and 300 Mbps probably. Each TV at 4K is about 25 Mbps recommended usually (Netflix and others are pretty close)- and less if you do 1080p or lower for at least one TV or for some content that maybe does not need to be full 4K. A PC or tablet or 2 doing video or work from home maybe needs another 50 Mbps or so for video or VPN connections, and then the phones and other stuff. Streaming music off wifi on your phone or Alexa or Google Home type of stuff, and security cameras being monitored. If going to 2 Gbps plan is only $10 that could be more than you ever will need even with say gamers and teenagers home also usually.

Can you schedule the backups for say over night? You know that the fiber going to be symmetrical (same speeds up and down) then 250 Mbps is going to be a big jump up probably or still like most of the cable company residential offerings asymmetrical with download speeds of 5 or more times as fast as the upload speeds - so 300 Mbps down and say 15 Mbps up or similar?

Most every ISP will allow you to try out the lower speed package (and if in contract get locked into that price for the contract length) and then if needed bump up to a higher speed if you find the need- sometimes without jumping the contract length or minimum commitment) But definitely questions to ask when you shop and make your decisions. Data caps also maybe an issue and need to find out if all plans are unlimited or maximum per month under the plan and usually now per Gb surcharges if you pass the limit in a month...

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    We recently switched to Fidium 1 gig and directv stream. Expensive to be sure but less than we were paying for cable plus internet.
    Ya, I'm probably looking at that option as well. Can't decide between DirecTV or YouTube TV.

I forgot the other piece of the puzzle. MSNBC. Until I remembered that, I was actually thinking of giving up on Boston Sports channel, and sewing together some streaming packages including Paramount to get my local CBS and maybe Peacock to get the local NBC, Disney+/ESPN+/Hulu, and maybe some Sling Orange. Maybe I should buy some vintage Agent Orange, the defoliant not the band, and take care of the neighbors trees.

Cutting the cable cord

We switched from cable to YouTubeTV like a year ago and it cut my bill in half. The only channel I’m really missing from what I used to watch with my cable network is YES network….so that’s not missing much. Not watching much baseball anymore anyways..

As of now, the switch to YouTubeTV has been a positive one.

So far two people have said YouTube TV cut their bill in half. So if you take out cable, you were paying $160 for just the cable TV portion, on top of internet???

Cutting the cable cord

My cable/internet bill combined was like +200.00/month. Now my internet/YouTubeTV combined is like just a over 100/month.

That’s worth it for me….cuz my cable here in PA sucked and was expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    My cable/internet bill combined was like +200.00/month. Now my internet/YouTubeTV combined is like just a over 100/month.

That’s worth it for me….cuz my cable here in PA sucked and was expensive.
    So you're paying $30 for; internet?

See I'm trying to do the same exercise, but also because I need more solid bandwidth AND an upload faster than about 6Mbps. So far YouTube TV gets me from $226ish to about $170ish after the first Year promo is over in the Fiber internet. That's not half. It's still a savings, but I was really shopping for half, like you.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    These streaming services aren’t making any money. We’ll continue to see price increases and consolidation. In 5 years we’ll be back where we started, paying one big bill to one service….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Not necessarily. Many are doing the 2 or 3 smaller priced services - Netflix for $10 a month, Maybe already have Amazon Prime for shipping and other benefits and use it for some content $15 per month or whatever they are up to now. Then maybe Peacock or Paramount or even a few free ones like Pluto, Tubi, or Roku free stuff if they have Roku device. If you need locals and major sports or other premium content (Discovery, HGTV, CNN, FoxNews, Hallmark, etc. types), then the days of cheap ways to do that are pretty much history unless they have their own app and service for just one of the offerings.
    Last edited by RShea; 05-29-2023 at 07:02 PM.

Paramount and peacock get you your local affiliate. Is there one that gets you ABC?

So far two people have said YouTube TV cut their bill in half. So if you take out cable, you were paying $160 for just the cable TV portion, on top of internet???
    If they had set top boxes for a few TV's rental each month, add in the taxes then it can easily be up over $100 to $120 per month with some cable companies. Add HBO, Cinemax type of movie channels and you could be higher.

Some maybe doing something like T-Mobile Home Internet or Verizon Home Internet with a $30 (bundled with cell service) to $50 or so per month price as alternative to higher priced but slower DSL internet options. Or cable internet for $80 or more with taxes and equipment rental fees possibly also. If you are doing heavy streaming and a few other things you may struggle though depending on where you are in relation to the towers and if 5G speeds are available.
    Last edited by RShea; 05-29-2023 at 07:30 PM.

Paramount and peacock get you your local affiliate. Is there one that gets you ABC?
    Not quite the same, some of ABC national show stuff is free on their network App (and watch some of it next day type of stuff) or some hope at some point it would be an option on Disney Plus, but they have not done anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    If they had set top boxes for a few TV's rental each month, add in the taxes then it can easily be up over $100 to $120 per month with some cable companies.
    This was me….I had 5 TV’s and my cable company was charging for each…so my cable bill was ridiculous.

Not sure if this is what u were asking about local TV networks…but with my YouTubeTV account, I do get all my local stations here in NEPA….

The best thing(s) I like about it:
    - it’s cheaper than my cable company (Blue Ridge Cable)
    -My family can share the account….here in PA and kids in VT, and now MA.
    -Can watch it on any device…anywhere I have service/Wi-Fi……I actually listen to it (sports/news, etc.) as I’m driving.

I had Comcast cable plus internet and we were paying like $185 a month. Kept our eyes open and got just internet for $60 at 800 mbps down through Comcast and switched to Hulu for TV and sports. We save only like $15 a month, but I can watch live sports on my phone without being connected to my home Wi-Fi which was a real pain in the ass with Xfinity.

Months without any sports I want to watch we cancel the live TV portion and just do regular Hulu and ESPN+

People who think they can save real money on this shit and still get what they want are delusional. Maybe five years ago. These companies have it all figured out, and they're smarter than you.

Yup, looking at You Tube TV for Sunday NFL Ticket and that is $72 a month + $15 to Bezo, around $14 to Netflix and $12 to HBO. Then my damn Spectrum internet is $69.99 and it is just fucking ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Sunday ticket is money well spent.

One thing to know about Directv stream--you buy the device for each TV at $30 per, if it breaks you buy another one. And with Fidium--you don't have to use their router if you already have a good one and that saves some money. With cable internet we had a router and an extender and still lousy wireless in parts of the house. Fidium gave us a mesh system with 3 devices. Much better coverage in the house.

Cutting the cable cord

Mesh is the way to go if you still have dead spots you’d like your WiFi Tom reach. We got eero which was super easy to set up and at the time was the best pricing vs teh google and others. Better suited to take advantage of the fiber too