Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Cutting the cable cord

some old threads on this but wanted to see what the current consenus is...roku/hulu?? anyway to watch live events/news/sports with these new devices....local channels possible? newbie on this but sick of paying xfinity/comcast. guessing i keep my internet and phone through them but get a different tv box?

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    some old threads on this but wanted to see what the current consenus is...roku/hulu?? anyway to watch live events/news/sports with these new devices....local channels possible? newbie on this but sick of paying xfinity/comcast. guessing i keep my internet and phone through them but get a different tv box?
    I have a nice antenna on my roof. Running a coax to my two big ass smart TV's. I am getting 18 digital channels. The TV s are connected to my internet via WiFi. I have Amazon prime, hulu youtube. Life is good

No cable for the past 7 years
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I had a Roku2, was having issues with the signal dropping out. Bought a replacement Roku for $39.00. Problem solved.

I signed up for a free trial of DirectTV Now to watch the final four and last nights game. Other than having less signal quality it was identical to having the cable package.

I won't be keeping it though. Still too expensive when you consider that I pay for the Broadband so all I am buying is the content.

I am happy with Hulu, Amazon and MLBTV along with locals.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

For live sports use Reddit sub forums (NBA, NCAA streams). It's typically as good as the online feed I get through the cable company.

I have Playstation vue. 3 "local" Denver channels ( I live in SW CO but these are better than Albuquerque) and lots of sports channels which can be expanded with a $10 sports package. It isn't perfect, hangs up sometimes which can be really annoying but for $40 a month (no premium channels) it's way cheaper than cable/satellite. The sports package includes a lot of local channels (Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, SF, etc) that show live programming which they will black out for people outside the local viewing area but if you use a VPN and connect to a server in one of these areas you can watch the blacked out stuff. I haven't tried the other services, the reason I like PS is it allows streaming on 4 devices at the same time. Some of the others only allow 2. There are other methods for watching premium content that are free and I've addressed those elsewhere on this forum if you search.
    The Sheriff is near!

We have Apple TV and run Netflix, Amazon Prime & PlayStation Vue. The PlayStation Vue service gets live sports via ESPN, FS, TNT, TBS & has 3 of the 5 major local stations which eliminates having to mess with the shitty antenna every time a cloud passes by.

I periodically quit PV if we aren’t going to watch (off season for sports) or expand it if we want to catch something in particular that isn’t in the base package (like the olympics).

PV has been a better value than SlingTV for us

Plenty of trials out there for 7 days of time to see if the service works for you. General rules are have a good device in place for the service (Roku, Fire TV, Android TV Box, Apple TV, etc.) Some do better than others (boxes typically with a ethernet cable to the router, compared to just getting the cheaper sticks out there). If you are going to have multiple streaming, internet and router/wifi issues may need to be addressed.

Of course best way to save some money is to have an antenna that gets you the local major channels for free on OTA (Over the Air), and evaluate the needs for indoor or attic or even an outdoor mounted antenna to get a start on live TV.

CordCutters News 101 is a good starting place as each is different in what content they are looking for. https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/the-...-cord-cutting/

Also another great web site is https://www.suppose.tv/ which can be another good way to see what will work for your viewing preferences.

Anybody doing Youtube TV? Seems like a pretty good deal, although they've already raised it from $35/mo to $40.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    For live sports use Reddit sub forums (NBA, NCAA streams). It's typically as good as the online feed I get through the cable company.
    This. Sometimes it's a bit fiddly but generally it's no issue and the quality is great. You need a laptop/HTPC to get it onto the screen though.

Leaf antenna and Roku2 with Netflix and Amazon prime, haven't had cable since '05. I get some football games through the antenna, and that's about all the sports I care about. If something else is on I'll go to the bar down the street or a friend's house. We aren't really TV people though. The Roku has worked really well, but you need a faster/more reliable internet service. The antenna can also be pretty unreliable here in the mountains when storms roll though.

Funny thing is, I have a rental condo that has Xfinity, because people have to have cable in a rental. I figured out that I can log in and watch a lot of stuff like MNF on ESPN and other channels through their app. Doesn't always work though, some things are blocked.

I feel like it is only getting easier to cut the cord these days. Cable is such BS. When I stay somewhere that has cable, I find it had to find anything worth watching anyway, I can't believe how much some people pay for this crap. And not watching commercials all the time really makes you realize how shitty they are when you do see them.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Funny thing is, I have a rental condo that has Xfinity, because people have to have cable in a rental. I figured out that I can log in and watch a lot of stuff like MNF on ESPN and other channels through their app. Doesn't always work though, some things are blocked.
    Just a heads up that I've found stuff can be blocked on your computer but not on an Ipad. I don't know why.

Get an unlimited data cell phone plan and be sure it includes a w-fi hot spot. Then run your Firestick/Apple TV/Roku etc. off the wi-fi hot spot. We've been doing this for a while - just need to pay a monthly cell phone bill, no more cable or internet.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Just a heads up that I've found stuff can be blocked on your computer but not on an Ipad. I don't know why.
    I've found the same with phone vs computer (don't have an iPad). Must be the browser or something. Like even NYT articles, I have a limit on my web browser on the computer, but not the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    We have Apple TV and run Netflix, Amazon Prime & PlayStation Vue. The PlayStation Vue service gets live sports via ESPN, FS, TNT, TBS & has 3 of the 5 major local stations which eliminates having to mess with the shitty antenna every time a cloud passes by.

I periodically quit PV if we aren’t going to watch (off season for sports) or expand it if we want to catch something in particular that isn’t in the base package (like the olympics).

PV has been a better value than SlingTV for us
    This is pretty much what we do, but still have an antenna that gets us local TV. Depending on your area, you might not get live local channels on the streaming services (we don’t in Boise), but you do get all of the content on demand.

I mostly end up using Vue just for the credentials to sign into the ESPN app or HBO or whatever other channels have shows I want to watch. Rarely am I ever on there just surfing channels.

It was really nice during March Madness to have a TV with one game on, my iPad ei n another and my computer with a third. Could have pulled up a fourth on my phone, but it was a work day.....

One thing we ran into was having to pay for more bandwidth with our internet provider. We pay for a set number of gigs per month and streaming all of your TV adds a lot to that number. Still I think we are about even cost wise to cable and don’t have to support their company any more.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    This. Sometimes it's a bit fiddly but generally it's no issue and the quality is great. You need a laptop/HTPC to get it onto the screen though.
    Can you run the reddit feed through a tablet or phone? I'll have to look into this.

Our setup: Roku standalone box sitting a foot away from the wifi router, then hard wired to the TV. Works better than the built-in smart TV apps - faster, more channel apps on the Roku. This, plus a HDTV antenna on a tree.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Our setup: Roku standalone box sitting a foot away from the wifi router, then hard wired to the TV. Works better than the built-in smart TV apps - faster, more channel apps on the Roku. This, plus a HDTV antenna on a tree.
    Yup, Roku>built in TV APPs. We have apps built into the TV, WII, and DVD player, but still use a Roku2 stick. The remote is Bluetooth too, which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Can you run the reddit feed through a tablet or phone? I'll have to look into this.

I am pretty sure you can get the feeds onto a tablet or phone. Though I haven't tried it myself.

I need cable so I can stop watching the walking dead on AMC.
    Seriously I do more YouTube than TV but the wife needs her cable programs. Like Oprah's Own - FX - Cooking - AMC and so on. Can't blame her.

Unlimited Internet - unlimited long distance calling us + canada - 75 stations - PVR cost me $205 a month.
    If I cut TV it will only save me $90 a month and that's not much.

Cutting the cable cord

Leaf antenna plus Roku or firestick depending on tv. If there's a sport that I really need to watch i will do a sling tv trial, but their buffering seems lacking sometimes. I'll try the other options here.

I wasn't into watching this year so it didn't really matter, but was shocked last night's NCAA championship wasn't on cbs. So there will be more incentive for me to check out the reddit subs for next time

I live in sf and we can't get NBC on antenna cause it's in SJ, so I might upgrade to a roof antenna. Anyone have a rec?
    Last edited by mcski; 04-03-2018 at 09:06 AM.

in that cordcutter link above there is another link that recommends antenea for your zip code.

looks like i need to keep my xfinity wifi (which is ok)...in order to keep my xfinity mobile phone. dropping the tv ill look into the outside ant. setup with a roku or similar.

Couldn't get cable, Direct TV was $$ with terrible service and life got better with a Roku and Amazon Prime two years ago. Direct TV would have no signal for weeks at a time and then expect me to pay the full bill. Should have made the switch sooner.

So serious question. let me say up front I am totally adicted to the speed and reliablity of xfinity WiFi, but I live in a major metro area where they have the franchise. if you go just internet with them, how much do you "really" save? right now I got the full hookup, virtually unlimited harddrive, HBO/Cmax/Showtime hell everything but dumb ass movie channel, netflix, but no amazon or hulu. I got two more TVs with basic cable; and lan line bundled in for about $250 a month. I gather for the WiFi by itself i'm in for $100/month.
    "Can't you see..."

Last time I was with them (in PDX ~6 months ago), I paid about $80/month for internet only. I think it was Blast level whatever that means. Never had bandwidth issues.

No cable since early 90's in college.

Digital antenna gets a few local stations, but basically just occasionally watch shit on Amazon Prime.

Order whatever streaming service fits your needs...