Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Well this takes another roku TV out of th epicture for us https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/roku...channel-store/ We need a second tv solution, the one now has an HDMI port so I think the move is to get a Chromecast until this whole thing shakes out a bit more. Can my wife use her iphone to cast to the tv, because that's the one we need to deal with? A cheap Android tablet should solve that if not, right? There are so many cheap android tv's right now it might just make sense to get one and not dick around.

Sorry, train of thought post

Yeah, you can cast from apps that support it. You lose a bit of functionality with iphone vs android, but for most viewing it should be fine.

FYI for those Verizon wireless customers on the Unlimited or 5G plans get a free year of Disney + then $6.99 after that and it looks like they just bill right to your VZ monthly.

Here is my box of shame. Returning to cable company this evening. I expect my energy bill to drop. Every single one of these things was warm to the touch sucking electricity.

Took a while to get my new 3.1 modem hooked up. Asus router decided to reset itself entirely at first. Had to plug the modem into my computer, then log into mediacom to register it, then plug it into router with my computer also hard wired to router (normally I just use wifi) which then allowed the Asus to go find a firmware update which allowed it to see the new modem and off to the races. Sounds easy now but a frustrating couple of hours...them BOOM!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Yeah, you can cast from apps that support it. You lose a bit of functionality with iphone vs android, but for most viewing it should be fine.
    And now that Amazon and Google have sorted out the Prime Video/Chromecast issue, things are much better. That was a seed in my dentures for an INORDINATELY long time.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    And now that Amazon and Google have sorted out the Prime Video/Chromecast issue, things are much better. That was a seed in my dentures for an INORDINATELY long time.
    Ok Boomer.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Ok Boomer.
    I'm Gen-X, but identify as the Silent Generation, thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I'm Gen-X, but identify as the Silent Generation, thank you very much.
    Ok Boomer.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Ok Boomer.

anybody have experience with Cell service through Comcast?

We are cutting cable end of month. we were ditching Comcast for ATT, 5 phone / 10 gig shared and 300MBS / unlimited WiFi for about $250 I believe. We've always been happy with Comcast service but hate the price. We had been in good standing with Comcast since 1998 and they've come back with cell 10 gig across 5 phones which we own; + 300MBS or faster internet, unlimited, with modem rental, for about $170 a month all in, taxes, etc. So now leaning heavily their way...any intel appreciated!
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post

We are cutting cable end of month. we were ditching Comcast for ATT, 5 phone / 10 gig shared and 300MBS / unlimited WiFi for about $250 I believe. We've always been happy with Comcast service but hate the price. We had been in good standing with Comcast since 1998 and they've come back with cell 10 gig across 5 phones which we own; + 300MBS or faster internet, unlimited, with modem rental, for about $170 a month all in, taxes, etc. So now leaning heavily their way...any intel appreciated!
    I don't have any first-hand experience, but know that Comcast uses Verizon's network to provide mobile service (it's called an MVNO if you want to research). Part of the deal with the MVNOs is that when you're in range of a wifi hot-spot the service will switch over from the cellular network to the hotspot. Customers on the "host" network (aka "real" Verizon customers) get prioritized so your speed won't be as fast as if you had the service directly.

^ saw that they were verison but did not know the hotspot item - helpful thx!
    "Can't you see..."

Wow!Quite a jump:
    We’re reaching out to remind you that as of today, the price of your Hulu (No Ads) + Live TV plan has increased from $50.99/month to $60.99/month.
    Anyone else?
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Wow!Quite a jump:

Anyone else?
    Yup. Currently reading up on YouTube TV.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I switched to Xfinity Mobile about a month ago. All good so far. Total bill last month for two lines and payments on two new Galaxy A50s was $31.

Well the deed is done. It's hard to discern the difference in internet speeds even though this is 18 times faster than what we had (50/50 vs 940/880). I guess the bottom line is it's up to the device if it can handle more info more quickly but it doesn't seem to be affected by running 2 tv's, 4 laptops and 4 phones at the same time. It's challenging with just streaming for tv because you can't flip through channels while there are commercials running because you have to leave what you're watching and open different channels rather than just flipping back and forth and then when you go back you still have to watch the ads but that's not so terrible I guess. The ads are annoying but not any different than regular tv, about 2:30 each commercial break. I was hoping that streaming through YouTubeTV would eliminate ads but I guess not All in all it is a pretty nice service but it won't save much over what we were paying, between internet service, router rental and $50/mo for YTTV it's only $40/mo cheaper and doesn't offer as many channels. We'll get our own router and work that in, at $15/mo it's not the worst thing but it could be paid for in a year or less depending on what we buy and that would bring it into focus a bit better.

The Android TV is pretty cool and works well, not sure which is better yet that or the Roku TV we've had for the last few months. It is easier to cast to it from my Android phone because Chromecast is built in.

Oh, does anyone want my old router? It's pretty well obsolete but works fine. I think the tech said it's 3rd generation wi-fi tech and limited to 50/50 but if you only have weak service and need one it'll do for you. It has a WAN port, 4 LAN 10/100 ports and the coax plug as well as a USB to run an hdmi cable to your tv. PM me with details and I'll get it out to you for some beers or edibles to cover shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Wow!Quite a jump:

Anyone else?
    Yup, mine when from 44.99 to 54.99 with adds.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I bought a Roku Streaming Stick+ on Amazon last night after doing a little research, I'l report back. It was only $29.00, I can't go too far wrong. If it works out I'll get them for the other TV's. Still haven't figured out which service to go with but I haven't spent much time on it yet.
    Ice how has this product worked out for you / update? Almost bought the $60 +4k version of it recently but didn't. trying to get to apple TV on a 2016 Samsung where my wife has a free year from a recent cell phone purchase. Also want to compare Sling to netflix TV but Sling not compatible with samsungs that I can tell / no app.

to the thread, as an extremely mechanically challenged accountant, I started out realizing between 4 cell phones at ATT and TV/internet/landline bundle with comcast, I was around $435 a month. Was going to cancel Comcast altogether and go to 300mbs internet with ATT + phones for $240. Had been with comcast since 1998 and thier "recovery team" came up with 10 Gigs accross 4 phones on basically verision towers, 1 terabyte 300mbs interet + modem rental for about $150 a month before tax. Made the switch 1/1 and haven't seen an updated comcast bill but suspect it will weigh in about $175. so +- 250 a month savings. it was a bitch getting ATT to unlock the phones and had to appeal one. The Sims card & activiation at Comcast wasn't a cakewalk either but got it done. Then wired up the roof atenna (the big Omm, think i'm about $75 into this with the mounting pole/hardware) getting about 75 local channels, which amounts to 5-6 networks and 65 gilligan's island reruns, but hard to argue the price. hooked it into the comcast inlet which had a nice splitter and wiring in place, and the TVs worked fine. The internet not-so-much as I'd basically unplugged it. so had to relocate the antenna, buy a seperate 1:4 powered splitter ($50 from best buy) and re-route the comcast coax, and vo-wah-la. Over the air working perfect accross 4 TVs. No noticable difference in the cell phones so far.

then sunday focused on the streaming service. Got the main samsung to speak to the innernet, and got a seperate amazon prime account/app to work, which worked perfecty the first night monday, last night tuesday there was a shit-ton of buffering, I mean like every few minutes. scratching my head on that. Wife got a new cell in the process ($iphone 8 32 storage 6.95 a month 18m through comcast, didn't think i could do better buying) which came with a year to Apple TV but apple not compatibel with samsung app regime.

Not sure on the main streaming service yet, but need to decide soon for the college game. YMMV. Cheers MT
    "Can't you see..."

We have a two Roku devices and like them. Nice having a remote and the interface is well done.

We also have a Chromecast that I bought but my wife didn't like it, hence the 2nd Roku. The Chromecast is great for getting sports feeds (reddit streams or whatever site they are now using) to the TV via a chrome browser. Can't do that with the Roku devices.

I'll add my $0.02

Dropped Xfinity cable, but kept their internet (upgraded much faster and unlimited data). 300+ Mbps download speed ≈ $110
    Family of 5 with almost 3 teenagers.
    6 TVs
    Gaming PC & Sony PS4 connected to internet with ethernet cable.
    6 Roku sticks and remotes with volume control.
    Hulu with adds
    Stealing Netflix with mom's account
    Stealing Amazon Prime with sister's account
    Still getting HBO for free....even though we cancelled our subscription in Nov.
    Disney+ is free for year due to unlimited Verizon data plan.

All for around $65 per month.
    I wouldn't pay for Prime or Disney+.
    I would pay for Netflix.
    Wife and I stream a lot.....kids mostly stream on their devices (youtube for free).
    I'd pay the $15 / month for HBO if/when wanted.

then sunday focused on the streaming service. Got the main samsung to speak to the innernet, and got a seperate amazon prime account/app to work, which worked perfecty the first night monday, last night tuesday there was a shit-ton of buffering, I mean like every few minutes. scratching my head on that. Wife got a new cell in the process ($iphone 8 32 storage 6.95 a month 18m through comcast, didn't think i could do better buying) which came with a year to Apple TV but apple not compatibel with samsung app regime.
    If you’re in the Apple ecosystem already get an Apple TV. Works seamlessly with phones, macs and iPads. Gets you access to the streaming stuff too. More money but I like how they work with my stuff better than a Roku which doesn’t interact well/at all with my phones.

Chrome casts are only good for sending stuff from a device to a TV in my experience.

Running hulu live now(along with prime and Netflix) and so far I'm liking it enough, but our TV is bedroom is an older smart TV, vizio I think, and it's too old to play with hulu live app. Can I just do chromecast on that TV to make it work and is it just buying the chromecast or is there associated fees as well? I'm an idiot with most of this shit and haven't looked into it yet but figured you guys would know.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Running hulu live now(along with prime and Netflix) and so far I'm liking it enough, but our TV is bedroom is an older smart TV, vizio I think, and it's too old to play with hulu live app. Can I just do chromecast on that TV to make it work and is it just buying the chromecast or is there associated fees as well? I'm an idiot with most of this shit and haven't looked into it yet but figured you guys would know.
    No extra fees with the Chromecast. Basically anything you can stream to your phone/tablet/computer you can then stream to your TV via the attached Chromecast. I've got an OLD Chromecast and it still works fine.

Heads up to those who use TV antennas... I noticed I lost a few channels, I reran “find channels” thru my TV menu, and boom all my channels back.

Pretty amazing I can get 40+ HD channels including each of the major networks; all on a $15 indoor antenna just sitting inside a drawer in my media center...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA