Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Cutting the cable cord

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Here's a good side by side comparison of the various players: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/youtube...ews-24578.html
    Thx for that link

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    and, very importantly, accnetwork.
    I hadn’t seen that detail, thx!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    has been glitching out a bunch lately.
    I think this is just one of the downsides of internet tv. We’ve seen the same thing, esp when the teenager is playing online games and chatting on discord with multiple friends

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I set up “my channels” and slide through those.
    We do the same

Related to the Apple remote: I mean it’s nice that it links to your phone so you can type stuff in, but I just hit the microphone button and speak out searches and passwords.
    Also Sling, (I believe), is the only one of these internet tv things that carries NFL red zone and I’m sorry, but I’m getting whoever has a red zone.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Tim Goodman of Hollywood Report did a couple pieces on cutting the cord recently

Tim knows TV

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/am...ourney-1234371

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/am...stream-1204313

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    DirecTV Now just added DVR capability, which is a plus.
    DirecTV sucks. Their SWM adapter almost caused a fire in my cabin. It was a herculian effort just to get them out to take a look, but when the technician finally showed up, he said he'd never seen anything so bad in his 13 years. Claimed he was going to send out his supervisor, but of course, they never contacted me again. I punted the service and will never use their garbage again. Not to mention, the offerings were total crap. More infomercials and shit channels than I ever knew existed. Fiber optic internet solved our TV needs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_48f8.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	648.4 KB 
ID:	301746
    Last edited by BigDaddy; 11-10-2019 at 11:31 AM.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

sharks with lazer beams on their heads
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Thx for that link

I hadn’t seen that detail, thx!

I think this is just one of the downsides of internet tv. We’ve seen the same thing, esp when the teenager is playing online games and chatting on discord with multiple friends

We do the same
    Some of glitching can be related to bandwidth, but how do you figure out other factors?

Ie: Nothing else is on but AppeTV watching MC vs Liverpool and multiple times the image gets fuzzy. Bandwidth or ghost in the machine?

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Some of glitching can be related to bandwidth, but how do you figure out other factors?

Ie: Nothing else is on but AppeTV watching MC vs Liverpool and multiple times the image gets fuzzy. Bandwidth or ghost in the machine?

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Community bandwidth is my guess
    We’ve suffered same

That’s the last element that makes cable at all desirable...no buffering or bandwidth issues

Other than trying out a 15Mpbs option, where else could we troubleshoot?
    What do you mean by other than trying out a 15 Mbps option? You saying your internet is under 15 Mbps now and streaming TV? If so what resolution are you streaming 1080p or lower? Most all sites recommend 25 Mbps for 4K streaming (which would be fewer channels that support that) and 1080p or even content at 720p would be better for slower download speeds than 15 Mbps...

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    An interesting looking but super annoying handle to reference. Cross post to things that annoy me. What was the previous?
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Can we just refer to you as "multi colons"?
    "who's that guy with the hudge colon?"

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Go to Suppose TV web site and look up the channels you listed and see which they recommend.
    missed this one first time thru, thx

Haven't read anything in this thread, but I've been really enjoying YouTube TV. Had it about 3 weeks and the DVR recording is legit, menu is simple and it's super easy to use mobile, TV app and computer whenever and wherever you want. It's been really nice for football as it includes the Big Ten network and SEC network.

What do you mean by other than trying out a 15 Mbps option? You saying your internet is under 15 Mbps now and streaming TV? If so what resolution are you streaming 1080p or lower? Most all sites recommend 25 Mbps for 4K streaming (which would be fewer channels that support that) and 1080p or even content at 720p would be better for slower download speeds than 15 Mbps...
    1080 HDR which has me wondering if we have simply hit the ceiling of our service. For the most part it's been fine, but it does seem like we need to bump it up a notch.

EDIT I received the following from my service provider that may be of use:

It does not appear that we have any issue on the service connection, and your network has been able to pull 7 Mbps download easily (see the attached screenshots).
    The following is what I found when searching Hulu's bandwidth requirements:See Link: https://www.digitaltrends.com/movies...oes-hulu-work/"The need for speed?"Hulu and Hulu + Live TV can be streamed at a variety of different quality levels, which will adjust automatically depending on your internet speed. For smooth, interruption-free playback, Hulu recommends a minimum download speed of 6 Mbps for Hulu in HD and 8 Mbps for Hulu + Live TV. If you are planning on streaming to multiple devices, more bandwidth will be required for a quality experience. Hulu also recently added limited 4K content back to its lineup, and you’ll need a well-oiled network to handle that.The internet connection speed requirements for Hulu are as follows:Standard Definition: 1.5Mbps
    720p HD: 3Mbps
    1080p HD: 6Mbps
    Hulu + Live TV: 8Mbps
    Ultra HD 4K: 16Mbps
    The way I understand their requirements is on a per/stream basis. Considering their statement, your current service plan is good for the lower end to middle of their programming, but not sufficient for higher end, or multiple middle level streams running simultaneously.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 11-11-2019 at 01:58 PM.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Bump to make this easier to find - just getting started on this and have some reading to do

Hi Ice where ya been??

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

researching streaming tv? I dunno, I feel like I've been around, not hiding at least. Down in Maryland right now but heading back there before too long.

I cut the cord about 6 years ago now and have been using a usenet provider to get all of my tv/movies then streaming them on Plex... fairly cheap to start up only hardware needed is a Raspberry pi (3 or better but any will work) an external HDD and a few hours to set it up and setting up the apps. Then just stream it from your phone/firetv/smarttv/xbox/ps4/ect.. Just about every device that hooks to your tv has the Plex app.

1080 HDR which has me wondering if we have simply hit the ceiling of our service. For the most part it's been fine, but it does seem like we need to bump it up a notch.

EDIT I received the following from my service provider that may be of use:
    Yes, you basically are right at the point of using most all of your bandwidth for a single device at the 1080p resolution. If you have 2 TV's then probably want to drop down the resolution quality on both the streams, likewise while streaming 1 devie at 1080p, probably do not want to be using any other device unless it is for very minor bandwidth like a check of email (and hope that there is not any large attachments or anything like that or you will be getting buffering or issues with the streaming...)

Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney + (Hulu and ESPN+). Everything I need and more.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney + (Hulu and ESPN+). Everything I need and more.
    Hannah Montana reruns? NTTAWWT

Yes, you basically are right at the point of using most all of your bandwidth for a single device at the 1080p resolution. If you have 2 TV's then probably want to drop down the resolution quality on both the streams, likewise while streaming 1 devie at 1080p, probably do not want to be using any other device unless it is for very minor bandwidth like a check of email (and hope that there is not any large attachments or anything like that or you will be getting buffering or issues with the streaming...)
    I bumped the service from 7Mps to 15Mps without noticing any noticeable improvement. There are still glitches here and there but for the most part fine. Hulu kicked us out recently requiring a login again. The CBS app has been weird for on demand when it gets to a commercial, it goes back to the menu. We cannot resume a program and can only run it from the beginning until the 1st commercial break.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

I would like to cut back our cable package and replace it with more streaming, however I am not sure about the bandwidth. I work from home with a lot of WebEx conferences. When my father in law is staying with us, he watches TV all day. So that means I would have to compete for bandwidth. There's anywhere from 4-6 people here in the evening, all wanting to watch TV or stream a variety of different things. Plus there's a limit of two concurrent users for services like Sling. We have 3 TVs. For my father in law, finding his stuff needs to be dead simple. And my wife is often streaming one thing on her phone with one ear bud in and watching another on TV. She likes to compare what is on Fox with CNN and MSNBC. To each their own. We have the 200 Mbps service. In theory. Is the an alternative to Sling that carries MSNBC, CNN, and has a higher number of concurrent users?

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy433 View Post
    I cut the cord about 6 years ago now and have been using a usenet provider to get all of my tv/movies then streaming them on Plex... fairly cheap to start up only hardware needed is a Raspberry pi (3 or better but any will work) an external HDD and a few hours to set it up and setting up the apps. Then just stream it from your phone/firetv/smarttv/xbox/ps4/ect.. Just about every device that hooks to your tv has the Plex app.
    Is there a streaming app that will run on a Pi build to create a DIY Roku type device? I have a Pi 3 collecting dust and have a need for a Roku. I thought there was but can't seem to find it. I don't really have the desire to collect movies and such using Plex.

We cut the cord earlier this year. We have 1gig fiber so bandwidth hasn't been an issue. I did notice that to run full resolution it was better that run the roku off of a wired connection, wifi buffered now and then. Went with sling and an antenna. Got a Tablo tuner/dvr that works nicely for over the air. We rarely dvr but we use the pause and rewind features.

Riser - there are other options within sling to have more TVs as I recall. We started with blue and orange and I thought that had up to 5. Dropped down to just blue as we weren't watching any of the orange channels. 2 concurrent users I believe.

IPTV for those of us who have no morals left.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    IPTV for those of us who have no morals left.
    IP Freely. Wait, what?