Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    yup. thanks. when I was searching for an amazon prime add-on it looked like there were some for android and other OS's but not OSX, hence the question.
    You shouldn't need a specific prime add on, any one that provides TV/Movies should give you access to any of that programming. Not live of course but you should be able to view anything they show within 24 hours.
    The Sheriff is near!

Maybe I'm confused here...are you wanting to run Prime on your device, or do you want to view Prime programming using a Kodi add-on/build?
    The Sheriff is near!

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    You shouldn't need a specific prime add on, any one that provides TV/Movies should give you access to any of that programming. Not live of course but you should be able to view anything they show within 24 hours.
    This one answers my question. Going to try one of the Smith builds and see what happens. This kodi thing is quite the rabbit hole!

Is it completely stupid to run kodi without a VPN? That's another rabbit hole of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Preferable to run w a vpn, but so far the Stasi haven't come for my unprotected kodi. A buddy is suspicious comcast is blocking kodi usage in his area though.

I get occasional violation letters from comcast, but sometimes even when I've used the opera VPN. For kodi is there any way to run the opera VPN?

So I got the mrmrssmith build loaded and apparently working. this one even has an 'adult' section. w00t!

Is there a way to determine prior to loading a movie what its quality is? I know kids these days (get off my lawn) don't seem to mind crappy but I really don't want anything less then 720, and prefer 1080. No way I want to watch cams.

Is there a way to search for a move or show across the entire build instead of having to go to one of the scrapers (probably not the official name for them but maybe you know what I mean) and scroll?

I get occasional violation letters from comcast, but sometimes even when I've used the opera VPN. For kodi is there any way to run the opera VPN?

So I got the mrmrssmith build loaded and apparently working. this one even has an 'adult' section. w00t!

Is there a way to determine prior to loading a movie what its quality is? I know kids these days (get off my lawn) don't seem to mind crappy but I really don't want anything less then 720, and prefer 1080. No way I want to watch cams.

Is there a way to search for a move or show across the entire build instead of having to go to one of the scrapers (probably not the official name for them but maybe you know what I mean) and scroll?
    When you do a search for a title there should be something at the top of the screen that shows how many are available and what resolution they are. The higher res versions should populate at the top of the search results, if I recall correctly.

I don't think there's a way to look for a title build-wide but I could be wrong.

As far as the VPN is concerned, it's my understanding (and again I could be wrong) that it is not currently illegal in the US to view copyrighted content. It is only illegal to stream it. Your ISP may take a dim view of it though. I've never had an issue.
    The Sheriff is near!

Thanks.

I watched my first show on the Kodi/Smith build last night. I have not cut the cord, and I can see how it would be able to damn near replace having cable TV. That said, it's different. You have to wade through a number of menus, wait for the episode to download, and it stopped a few times in the hourlong show.

My mac mini serving the big TV is connected to the home network via 5G wi-fi so that's probably to blame for slower speeds and unpredictable streaming. With a little effort I could hard-wire it to the network which would probably work better. That might make enough difference to cancel comcast TV, but it'll be a while before I'd consider that is the convenience thereof is, for the moment, worth the $ (too much).

The Smith build skin is silly, but I guess that's part of the build "thing". I'm also mystified about how to get back to actual Kodi to be able to watch movies already on my mini (I could certainly do this manually or via Plex), and make adjustments to the application. Only some of the scrapers offer the ability to search, so it takes some browsing to find what you want. Some of them don't actually show you what the quality is and that's a little frustrating.

There is a LOT of content for sure. New movies, TV, live TV and live sports. I didn't get too far into it, but will do more exploring.

Next up I am intrigued by the ultra-short-throw projector idea to replace the behemoth in the living room. For around $600 it looks like you can get a pretty good one with full HD and decent lumens. I'd like to go to 4K, but a 1080p projector might get me by until the price comes down on the 4K projectors as opposed to buying another, bigger behemoth with 4K for the living room. Anyone know anything about those?

Thanks.

I watched my first show on the Kodi/Smith build last night. I have not cut the cord, and I can see how it would be able to damn near replace having cable TV. That said, it's different. You have to wade through a number of menus, wait for the episode to download, and it stopped a few times in the hourlong show.

My mac mini serving the big TV is connected to the home network via 5G wi-fi so that's probably to blame for slower speeds and unpredictable streaming. With a little effort I could hard-wire it to the network which would probably work better. That might make enough difference to cancel comcast TV, but it'll be a while before I'd consider that is the convenience thereof is, for the moment, worth the $ (too much).

The Smith build skin is silly, but I guess that's part of the build "thing". I'm also mystified about how to get back to actual Kodi to be able to watch movies already on my mini (I could certainly do this manually or via Plex), and make adjustments to the application. Only some of the scrapers offer the ability to search, so it takes some browsing to find what you want. Some of them don't actually show you what the quality is and that's a little frustrating.

There is a LOT of content for sure. New movies, TV, live TV and live sports. I didn't get too far into it, but will do more exploring.

Next up I am intrigued by the ultra-short-throw projector idea to replace the behemoth in the living room. For around $600 it looks like you can get a pretty good one with full HD and decent lumens. I'd like to go to 4K, but a 1080p projector might get me by until the price comes down on the 4K projectors as opposed to buying another, bigger behemoth with 4K for the living room. Anyone know anything about those?
    Congrats...you've taken your first steps into a larger world.

The build should have a wizard that allows you to access the kodi software. It should also allow you to change the skin back to the basic kodi version. You may want to consider a separate media server for your home library. I strongly recommend Plex.

Don't get too excited about live tv on kodi. You may have better luck but in my experience it's hit and miss, mostly miss. It's such a touchy subject If you post about it on the kodi FB page, you'll get banned.

Buffering is an issue with kodi, probably why I always watched the 720P versions of stuff but I only have 12 Mbps internet. Optimizing the connection is definitely a good idea.

Sounds like you've already got the idea though, it's a lot of trial and error but you'll figure it out.
    The Sheriff is near!

Yeah, it'a fun and interesting fo sho.

Can you please explain "wizard"?

I wasn't trying live tv, but an older episode of a show from amazon. I still have the cord so live TV isn't too much of a concern but my tv is too old to be smart enough to have an Amazon app. I can do it on the computer. Netflix of course is now delivered by the dark lord, Comcast.

It's almost simpler to just open the movies I've DL'd from the finder the use a server at all.

Not sure why I enjoy this process but for some reason it's intriguing for an old guy.

Congrats...you've taken your first steps into a larger world.

The build should have a wizard that allows you to access the kodi software. It should also allow you to change the skin back to the basic kodi version. You may want to consider a separate media server for your home library. I strongly recommend Plex.

Don't get too excited about live tv on kodi. You may have better luck but in my experience it's hit and miss, mostly miss. It's such a touchy subject If you post about it on the kodi FB page, you'll get banned.

Buffering is an issue with kodi, probably why I always watched the 720P versions of stuff but I only have 12 Mbps internet. Optimizing the connection is definitely a good idea.

Sounds like you've already got the idea though, it's a lot of trial and error but you'll figure it out.

Yeah, it'a fun and interesting fo sho.

Can you please explain "wizard"?

I wasn't trying live tv, but an older episode of a show from amazon. I still have the cord so live TV isn't too much of a concern but my tv is too old to be smart enough to have an Amazon app. I can do it on the computer. Netflix of course is now delivered by the dark lord, Comcast.

It's almost simpler to just open the movies I've DL'd from the finder the use a server at all.

Not sure why I enjoy this process but for some reason it's intriguing for an old guy.
    After looking at some of the youtube vids for this build it doesn't appear that it runs in front of kodi like most of the builds I'm familiar with. Here's a vid for the build I was using that's no longer active: https://youtu.be/O0kyij2Sy1Y If you go to 2:23 the screen you see is what would display when you opened kodi. All the menu options are at the bottom of the screen and the wizard was under the "system" option but it doesn't appear that your build looks like that. I'm sure there's still a wizard there somewhere though, if you go into the add-ons menu and click the Mr and Mrs Smith icon it may be there. I might try installing this one myself and see how it is. If I find the wizard I'll let you know.

The wizard is where you go to make adjustments to the build, like changing the skin. Like I said, with most of the builds I've used the they run out front...you wouldn't even know kodi was there because once you click on the app icon to run in it the build's graphics come up and it doesn't look anything like kodi.

It can be fun but frustrating too. I've spent a few late nights trying to find a working option for specific live programming...the problem is even after you find one one day it may not work the next. The providers are constantly changing, shutting down, etc. If you do find a specific source you like make sure you mark it as a favorite. It may not be in the same place the next day, if it's there at all.
    The Sheriff is near!

...you wouldn't even know kodi was there because once you click on the app icon to run in it the build's graphics come up and it doesn't look anything like kodi.
    This is exactly the case with the mrmrssmithbuild. I don't see anything that looks like a wizard though. There is a settings menu, but it appears to be settings related to the build and not kodi itself.

There doesn't seem to be a way to access the add-ons menu 'cuz I can't see kodi. No big deal as this is all an experiment, but I wonder what I would do if I wanted to dump this build and use a different one. Probably a you tube vid out there about it!

Easiest way to determine the quality is to load DVD or BluRay then you are sure it is not a crappy quality.

This is exactly the case with the mrmrssmithbuild. I don't see anything that looks like a wizard though. There is a settings menu, but it appears to be settings related to the build and not kodi itself.

There doesn't seem to be a way to access the add-ons menu 'cuz I can't see kodi. No big deal as this is all an experiment, but I wonder what I would do if I wanted to dump this build and use a different one. Probably a you tube vid out there about it!
    Is there not a way to change the skin back to the original kodi version (Estouchy) in the settings menu?
    The Sheriff is near!

changed back to Estouchy from some random menu. pretty much disables the functionality of the skin where I thought skin just meant the look. I didn't realize that would happen. it's cool. still fuckin' around. before I fuck around further I need to hardwire the mini to the network though.

changed back to Estouchy from some random menu. pretty much disables the functionality of the skin where I thought skin just meant the look. I didn't realize that would happen. it's cool. still fuckin' around. before I fuck around further I need to hardwire the mini to the network though.
    You should still be able to access all the add-ons from the build, just not as easily. Is it easier to access your digital stuff?
    The Sheriff is near!

Yes. All the scrapers appear as individual add-ons. Not sure easier is the word. Still feeling my way and haven't spent a ton of time on it. Tried to watch a movie, said it was coming in 1080p but it wasn't. Then there was the buffering, hence the need to hardwire.

Excited to cut the cord. Just cancelled Comcast phone/TV. But not excited to pay $70/month for just internet. For 60mpb download.

Dog poop in the TV boxes when I return them?

Meta-question for any network experts

Chromecast and similar content streaming devices, and even smart home devices like smart plugs, need to initially configure themselves. You turn it on and it acts like it's own self-contained network long enough for you to connect to this self-contained network, tell it which wifi network to use, password, etc.

Why don't they offer an option to just always use it's own self-contained network, for limited functionality? Example...

chromecast: you have a video file on your phone, cast it to your TV

smart plug: you want your phone to be able to toggle it on/off only when you're home

Seems to me those simple functions should work without there being any wifi at all. Educate me, please.

Quote Originally Posted by EZB View Post
    [

Seems to me those simple functions should work without there being any wifi at all. Educate me, please.
    Do you mean with wifi but no internet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Yes, assume your only infastructure is electricity. No internet, no cellular, no access point.

Maybe this...
    https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials...rnet-of-things
    ...covers some of the terminology I could use to write my question more clearly. I think I want peer-to-peer maybe also called ad hoc.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Excited to cut the cord. Just cancelled Comcast phone/TV. But not excited to pay $70/month for just internet. For 60mpb download.

Dog poop in the TV boxes when I return them?
    Just had 400mbps installed at my rental. No TV, no phone. $69.99/month. No rental fees for equipment. Idea is to use Netflix, Amazon prime, and DirecTV now.

Will update once I'm all set up and have some real world input.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

DirecTV Now just added DVR capability, which is a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by EZB View Post
    Yes, assume your only infastructure is electricity. No internet, no cellular, no access point.
    Yes you can create a wifi network that does not connect to the internet.

Helpful, but it sounds like you're referring to still using a router to create the wifi network. What about without a router?

Remember, you plug in the smart plug, then go to wifi settings on your phone and do a one-time wifi connection to the smart plug anyway, even if just to tell it the name of your router SSID and password. I'm saying skip that and just tell it to toggle itself.

Why?

You're going to have trouble getting most/many smart devices to run on an Ad Hoc network. If you can it's going to be unstable, insecure, slow and generally a pain in the ass.

Just get a cheap wifi router.....