Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    So after sending in the Comcast Modem/Router that i rented, the wifi router a friend gave me was too weak, but the modem was solid. I wanted to have even better wifi reach than the comcast wifi. Ended up getting the google wifi pods (pack of three). Expensive, but these appear to work really well for getting solid wifi all over the house. Are there better/cheaper alternatives to get 400+ mbps all over the house/property?

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    So after sending in the Comcast Modem/Router that i rented, the wifi router a friend gave me was too weak, but the modem was solid. I wanted to have even better wifi reach than the comcast wifi. Ended up getting the google wifi pods (pack of three). Expensive, but these appear to work really well for getting solid wifi all over the house. Are there better/cheaper alternatives to get 400+ mbps all over the house/property?
    The Google units of course figure out to be about $100 each (3 of them at $299 retail- but a few companies are discounting them). Do you need 3 of the units for full coverage is the first question? There are some others out there with mesh wifi solutions. Ubiquiti has single units for about $100 retail and multi-packs (5 it think) but they are PoE (power over Ethernet) so you either need a switch that provides the power or you have to have an injector and they also need a controller- so either install the controller software on a PC or server or get a cloud license to control them. There are some other network equipment manufacturers like TP-Link, EnGenius, Eero that also sell similar and competing Access Point products. Also depends on if you have any other place with a hard wire cable. There are a few routers that are easily converted into an access point. If you get a good deal on a newer AC router then that could be another alternative, but maybe not as smooth as the mesh solutions that truly do a great job of passing the device off to the next AP pretty seamlessly.

Cutting the cable cord

Cut spectrum cable tv out. Still have internet, got eero mesh router, YouTube tv....haven’t looked back. Although, ironically yttv is out right now. First time I’ve had that happen.

The family uses Kodi and Mobdro. I pretty much use mobdro exclusively. I don't like I missing a thing.

What's the diff between modbro and kodi? I've never heard of it and I'm currently trying to upgrade my kodi as all my repos have shit the bed

Mobdro is livestreaming.

Cutting the cable cord

Thx. So does it include sports? Or mainly just another way to get peak tv? What's it core ?

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    Cut spectrum cable tv out. Still have internet, got eero mesh router, YouTube tv....haven’t looked back. Although, ironically yttv is out right now. First time I’ve had that happen.
    That was big news in the IT world today - lasted about 3 hours, besides internet TV, it jammed up corporate IT that connects to AWS

Comcast outage brings down internet, TV service across US
    Last edited by MTT; 06-29-2018 at 06:27 PM.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    That was big news in the IT world today - lasted about 3 hours, besides internet TV, it jammed up corporate IT that connects to AWS
    Wait, was AWS down today for three hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Wait, was AWS down today for three hours?

Losts of chatter in the IT forums I follow, it was XFinity, and the VPN access to AWS was offline.

Here in the west not an issue. Verizon OK AT&T - OK

might see it here
    https://plus.google.com/communities/...56096374290306
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Thx. So does it include sports? Or mainly just another way to get peak tv? What's it core ?
    Works better for us as an android app rather than an add on to kodi.

I am not a big network TV watcher but if I want to I just click on "Channels" or "News" and most of the usual suspects are there plus a ton from across the country and the world. Same for the other catagories, "Sports" (I've seen "sports" from around the world that I'm still scratching my head as to wtf was going on), "Movies (lots of sub categories: popular, comedy, horror, documentaries, action, etc. etc.) , "Shows" (which I like. I can watch Seinfeld 24/7, no commercials) as well as a shit ton of other shows. "music".

Again, I'm not a big TV watcher in general but I can always find something on mobdro.

eta... there is the annoying forced "commercials" that they insert in between every few channel changes. They are almost always a 10-20 second add to download some cheesy candycrush type game for free. Still much better than network TV commercials. I guess the biggest downside was I had no idea wtf people were talking about when they were saying "dilly dilly"

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post

Losts of chatter in the IT forums I follow, it was XFinity, and the VPN access to AWS was offline.

Here in the west not an issue. Verizon OK AT&T - OK

might see it here
    https://plus.google.com/communities/...56096374290306
    Ah. Ok. Fuckin Comcast strikes again!

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Ah. Ok. Fuckin Comcast strikes again!
    Is not Comcast the ISP ++ that AT&T just bought = took over ?

Just sayin ??
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Time Warner, but yeah, anti trust. Who needs it?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Wierd. I didn't notice any Comcast outage here in VT.

Thinking of going way overkill, way over budget and getting an Orbi RBK50. My cable comes into my basement and the best place to put my router is the worst place for reception. The signal is week in the upstairs bathroom.

DL'd Kodi yesterday and have been playing around with it. I'm kinda stoopid but might figure it out eventually. Really wanted abode Amazon prime app/add-on but no luck on OSX that I can find.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Bot sez lol.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    DL'd Kodi yesterday and have been playing around with it. I'm kinda stoopid but might figure it out eventually. Really wanted abode Amazon prime app/add-on but no luck on OSX that I can find.
    Kodi's great but a lot of the best builds shut down after receiving cease and desist orders from the FCC last month. If you find a good one let me know.
    The Sheriff is near!

Try this one https://youtu.be/J9YrizWVqm4

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    Kodi's great but a lot of the best builds shut down after receiving cease and desist orders from the FCC last month. If you find a good one let me know.
    Not sure what I'm looking for being a neub. By a 'good build' are you referring to one of the add-ons that levers content?

Not sure what I'm looking for being a neub. By a 'good build' are you referring to one of the add-ons that levers content?
    Check this out https://youtu.be/J9YrizWVqm4

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

You can install individual add-ons or complete "builds" which have most of the add-ons you would want already in the build. I was using Zero Tolerance and it was pretty good for movies and TV but it's shut down now. I haven't tried it yet but on Kodi's FB people are talking about a build called Mr. and Mrs. Smith. If you do a you tube search for Mr and Mrs Smith Kodi you'll find instructions on how to DL and install it.
    The Sheriff is near!

found 'em. are the builds platform specific? seems like she of the individual add-ons are....

found 'em. are the builds platform specific? seems like she of the individual add-ons are....
    Once you've got Kodi installed the build runs on that. Doesn't matter what OS you're using.

edit: If that's what you meant by "platform"?
    The Sheriff is near!

yup. thanks. when I was searching for an amazon prime add-on it looked like there were some for android and other OS's but not OSX, hence the question.