Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    So the guy who rags on Bitcoin for being a scam is a thief. Got it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Wrong. I ragged on you for being dumb enough to help perpetuate a scam. Right now, being a proselytizer for bitcoin or paying for bundled media services both fit that category. Sucker. Seriously, even a "premium" service like HBO has two shows I'd watch. The rest is boring crap. Who'd actually pay for this? That's what I think when I open up HBO and look for something to watch. Other than, The Duece and Game of Thrones, I haven't watched anything on HBO since Westworld's first season ended, a full year ago. What should I pay for a service that only produces 18 hours of watchable programming per year?

The Last Jedi? Meh. I fell asleep twice. If I paid for it, I'd ask for a refund. The day Hollywood starts offering full refunds for their crappy products is the day I start paying for media sight unseen. The other night I watched Yojimbo for probably the fifth time. Why? Because 99% of the new movies suck. I can't sit through them, even for free.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 04-05-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Other than, The Deuce and Game of Thrones, I haven't watched anything on HBO since Westworld's first season ended, a full year ago. What should I pay for a service that only produces 18 hours of watchable programming per year?
    Which is why Roku is so great you just buy the stuff you want to watch versus a full blown subscription to Netflix or HBO. Since I have always been to cheap to purchase premium channels when I had cable there are plenty of really excellent series to watch for a few dollars. If some reason I can't find a sporting event being streamed that must be watched, I just go to the brew pub and watch there while sipping good beer.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Renting comcast equipment is just bad economics.

Current price to rent a modem from Comcast Is $11/mo.

You can get a gigabit speed Netgear modem on Prime for $98 delivered today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Recommendation in which modem to buy?

I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Seriously, even a "premium" service like HBO has two shows I'd watch. The rest is boring crap. Who'd actually pay for this? That's what I think when I open up HBO and look for something to watch. Other than, The Duece and Game of Thrones, I haven't watched anything on HBO since Westworld's first season ended, a full year ago. What should I pay for a service that only produces 18 hours of watchable programming per year?
    Are you doing it wrong? I think most of us jump on the "Free Trial" every so often and binge the few shows we're interested in for like a month. Once that's done, just cancel.

Or just pay for a month

We have been using SET TV for $20 /month to watch live sports (Go Bruins/Cs). 500 + Channels works great. All the HBOS.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Or just pay for a month
    That too. I have no problem paying for a few months here and there if I'm still in the middle of some good shows. I kind of bounce around between Hulu+, HBO Now, and a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by ski-wpk View Post
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ighlight=modem
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by ICantLogIn View Post
    We have been using SET TV for $20 /month to watch live sports (Go Bruins/Cs). 500 + Channels works great. All the HBOS.
    THAT looks pretty cool
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    THAT looks pretty cool
    No way that they have the rights to that content, so get it while the gettin's good.

Quote Originally Posted by HellgateBasement View Post
    No way that they have the rights to that content, so get it while the gettin's good.
    Right?

Works fine for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    gahy

I just cancelled our cable. Comcast was extracting $220 a month. The internet only is $112 a month without a contract so they will still bleed us

That SET TV sounds too good to be true

https://www.cnet.com/news/set-tv-sue...-columbia-fox/

Yes, I would question the content as just too good to be true for the most part. Getting into bed with piracy - would not trust them with any credit card info so then you have to do the prepaid cards to be safe. https://flixed.io/set-tv-not-legitimate/
    And a site that discusses the service and reviews from subscribers: https://www.highya.com/set-tv-reviews

not so fast

https://boingboing.net/2018/05/02/mi...ing-cable.html

Comcast: if you don't subscribe to cable TV, we won't sell you high-speed internet

I SAIL THE MIGHTY DIGITAL SEA, PLUNDERING AS I GO AND WHEN I FEEL
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

I'm sure there are better options and more informed recommendations.. but I got an arris surfboard (can't remember which one) and google wifi. Canceled cable and now just internet. Was never a big TV guy so I can find something to watch on Netflix or Amazon and stream Bruins games off reddit. No looking back...

^^^ I have been on a You-Tube binge of late. All kinds of shit to watch for free that isn't frat boys shooting bottlerockets from their asses. NTTAWWT.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I am no IT guy, not even close... But I don't think there is much to a modem, it either works or doesn't. Amazon has a bunch of modems with 1000+ positive reviews. Start there. Look for one that has higher download and upload speeds than the service you receive. You can call your service provider to confirm the modem model works with their service.

I have a separate modem and router. I don't know if the combo units are better than two individual pieces....

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    not so fast

https://boingboing.net/2018/05/02/mi...ing-cable.html

Comcast: if you don't subscribe to cable TV, we won't sell you high-speed internet

I SAIL THE MIGHTY DIGITAL SEA, PLUNDERING AS I GO AND WHEN I FEEL
    5G is coming. Comcast is fucked.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    5G is coming. Comcast is fucked.

4G is not even everywhere yet. 5G will be a roll out that takes years and most have 2 years before their first major metro areas get turned up. Many cellular companies have to either turn off and shut down older 2G or cdma talk and make a bunch of customers get new phones, that is planned for 2019 if they are ready with other infrastructure and back haul connections first.

I'm sitting out 5G. And 6. I'm waiting on lucky number 7, baby!