Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ripvanwinter View Post
    Hi all. This thread has been super helpful in planning my upcoming trip. Fast approaching my Jan 25 arrival and my palms are getting sweaty with excitement!

Right now, we are booked for 3 nights at the base of the Furano kitanomine gondola, and thinking we’ll hit Asahidake, and Tokachidake as weather permits.

Question is: is it worth it/necessary to hire a guide for Furano sidecountry or the the other areas? Guiding looks real expensive with only two people and the areas all look pretty small and uncomplicated terrain-wise from the maps.

I’ve seen online that the backcountry rental shop in Furano does day trips. Any thoughts on them? Can we show up there and expect to get into a group?
    re guiding; fly 5000 miles, burn shitloads of $ in airfares, accommodation & miscellaneous expenses, eat out every night at expensive restaurants whilst buying fancy cocktails, but waste your extremely limited time falling for the same tourist traps that all the other tourists fall for?
    i am not a guide nor am i associated with any guiding company. imo there's just a lot to be said for local knowledge.

Not saying there’s not a lot to be said for local knowledge, but most Places advertise at a minimum of $500/day and for two guys on a budget there’s a limit.

Perhaps I should rephrase the question...

I’ve had pretty good experiences in the past with joining guided groups as opposed to hiring a private guide, and the math works out much better with one or two people. The only place I’ve been able to find in the Furano area that advertises this kind of thing is the backcountry rental shop.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Is there another company that does similar group tours that I can’t find from 5000 miles away?

Of course local knowledge is hudge, but we’re a two non-dentists emptying our frequent flyer miles accounts for this trip and want to use our resources wisely.

Looking for some local knowledge. Going to be in Hokkaido (hopefully Niseko) from 1/18-1/27 and looking for lodging. Is Toyako too far from Niseko? We'll have a car. Obviously I've looked at the map but would like to know if it's worth paying a lot more to stay closer? Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by ropeducker View Post
    Looking for some local knowledge. Going to be in Hokkaido (hopefully Niseko) from 1/18-1/27 and looking for lodging. Is Toyako too far from Niseko? We'll have a car. Obviously I've looked at the map but would like to know if it's worth paying a lot more to stay closer? Thanks for the help!
    mr google suggests its about 1h away, but on winter roads i think you could add another 30-45mins to that. huge blizzard witeouts on those roads too, sometimes i have to drive white knuckled and with my ski goggles on you'd be almost driving past rusutsu on the way btw.
    sounds a bit overkill to save $ :P

try kutchan or niseko (the actual town, not niseko village) as the first step out but still a little elevated prices. or maybe go a little further to kombu or rankoshi, thats where a bunch of staff seem to be these days.

Quote Originally Posted by ripvanwinter View Post
    Not saying there’s not a lot to be said for local knowledge, but most Places advertise at a minimum of $500/day and for two guys on a budget there’s a limit.

Perhaps I should rephrase the question...

I’ve had pretty good experiences in the past with joining guided groups as opposed to hiring a private guide, and the math works out much better with one or two people. The only place I’ve been able to find in the Furano area that advertises this kind of thing is the backcountry rental shop.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Is there another company that does similar group tours that I can’t find from 5000 miles away?

Of course local knowledge is hudge, but we’re a two non-dentists emptying our frequent flyer miles accounts for this trip and want to use our resources wisely.
    Pretty sure whiteroom has a base near Furano. Could always do a day or two private to get a feel for the area and then head off on your own?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Hey All, so heading to Hokkaido Feb 5th for a few weeks then off to Hakuba for week. Just reaching out to some of you that would/could share some intel on getting some lines up/down Mt.Yotei? That is definitely a mountain I would love to have "conquered" in my life time. And of course if anyone else on here will be in the neighborhood at that time, if they would like to organize a group tour or try to set up a 5-6 person guided group to save some $$$? Also down for setting up some group tours elsewhere on Hokkaido. Will be situated around Rusutsu from the 6th - 9th, Furano from the 9th - 16th and finally Asahidake from the 16th - 19th. Wife and I have a Subaru with ski racks booked for the duration and our both down to explore!

I'm planning our trip for Feb 17-27th. We too are hoping for a Mt. Yotei summit, however it will be a few days after you.

Curious on your car rental situation- Where did you find said Subaru? My interweb searches are yielding a lot of tourist 2 wheel drive options.... However, there is a mini van i'm hoping would have all wheel drive. Any beta would be helpful! Hoping to rent at Saporro airport or near it as we land at like 7:00 PM and are hoping to just get right into a car and head to the hotel and bar...

Quote Originally Posted by SLCMunchie View Post
    I'm planning our trip for Feb 17-27th. We too are hoping for a Mt. Yotei summit, however it will be a few days after you.

Curious on your car rental situation- Where did you find said Subaru? My interweb searches are yielding a lot of tourist 2 wheel drive options.... However, there is a mini van i'm hoping would have all wheel drive. Any beta would be helpful! Hoping to rent at Saporro airport or near it as we land at like 7:00 PM and are hoping to just get right into a car and head to the hotel and bar...
    We have a Subaru something or other reserved from Nippon Rent A Car. All their Hokkaido rentals are AWD + winter tires.
    https://www.nrgroup-global.com/hk/campaign/wtc2018en/

We're picking up at Chitose airport.

FWIW, although that rental agency requires you buy rental car insurance, if you have a Costco Visa card then that card also provides primary rental car insurance when renting internationally. I'll be using that card for our rental.

Citi Costco T&C:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...AMhM9iQAVtNRpe
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Awesome Chups! Booking now. thanks for the heads up on the insurance. i'm checking to see if the business american express cards i have will cover. i assume they will. they've always covered american car rentals...

The AmEx platinum cards usually provide that benefit, but I don't have one open currently. I was kind of surprised to learn that the Costco Citi card provided it -- and weirdly, only primary coverage for overseas rentals, and secondary for domestic US rentals.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Hey SLC, yes we did the same as EL CHUP....Nippon rent a car for the win there. Someone else gave the advice on here to use them and if you sign up you get a 30% discount. Pick up is at New Chitose.

I have sent out requests to a lot of tour services and most are booked or want $800-$900 per group of 5. Currently just going to watch the weather and hit Yotei ourselves. From what I have gathered (obviously correct me if I'm wrong people) the up track gets heavy use. There's lots of info out there on Yotei and Asahidake, which we really want to get to the top and check out the fumeroles!! Also Just recently found a pretty sweet website with all the beta one needs for a handful of tours around the Hokkaido area.

https://hokkaidowilds.org/skitour

Can someone remind me what the best website is for current conditions/weather forecasts etc? Now that I'm leaving Saturday (no skiing until 1/17 though) starting to actually think about snowfall. I'll be based in Furano.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Can someone remind me what the best website is for current conditions/weather forecasts etc? Now that I'm leaving Saturday (no skiing until 1/17 though) starting to actually think about snowfall. I'll be based in Furano.
    According to the "guides" from that site I posted (Hokkaido Wilds) this one is his favorite:

https://www.windy.com/42.800/140.687?42.245,140.685,8

I have no idea on it's accuracy...but it was recommended by them. If you go to their page it is really quite informative, check out the resources section.

https://hokkaidowilds.org/skitour

Sent from my SM-G960W using TGR Forums mobile app

I just got back from trip with Hokkaido backcountry club/black diamond tours. We had a great time, amazing guides (Sam and Erin) and even better food. their prices are reasonable.

Windy is just model data...

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    TUESDAY 08 JANUARY 2019

The Day of The Season

Ian

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsmLcfXFYMZ/

Yours Truly

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsnJjabligO/

Hokkaido Japan; Central Hokkaido or Niseko

Heading to Niseko tomorrow through the 26th. Figures I’m leaving CB when a nice storm is rolling through. Hoping for some pow in JP. If not bringing my AT gear to do a little touring. Haven’t had a chance to get in the BC on prior trips.

Looking SICK Mike Pow!!! 3 weeks and counting...we are stoked. Notice you are using the Sony Action Cam, footage looks great. I have one as well but haven't really used it, definitely bringing it...did you just mount the camera to your pole using the "handle bar" mount?

Checking in from Sapporo Teine...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9353.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	264993
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TarTar View Post
    Looking SICK Mike Pow!!! 3 weeks and counting...we are stoked. Notice you are using the Sony Action Cam, footage looks great. I have one as well but haven't really used it, definitely bringing it...did you just mount the camera to your pole using the "handle bar" mount?
    Cheers. Yeah it's really ramping up now.

Yes handle bar mount on end of pole. Steady and sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Checking in from Sapporo Teine...

Name:	IMG_9353.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	264993
    Yeah buddy! Where else have you hit so far?

So stoked to see the pow pics!! And mikepow is back too. Dude, you are an inspiration.

Got my new skis mounted and I’m leaving in a week for Hokkaido, I can’t wait.

Name:	IMG_0654.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	265064

I can’t decide if I want to put inserts in the bros so I can swap the Dynafits out with Barons for a hard snow in bounds option.

You'll be good.

Hard Japanese snow is still soft.

Having difficulty uploading photos from phone but last 2 days at furano have been great. Wind wreaking some havoc on the lifts this AM but everything open later in the day. A bit more crowded than I anticipated but with the help of our guide no issue skiing untracked all day. And by crowded I mean the stuff that is obvious is getting tracked out early, but we haven't been skiing it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190118_121205.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	265109  

Oh looks like I included a B roll shot that I didnt mean to. Oh well