Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post
    Bummer that the bamboo is still visible.
    Wanna go back in a deeper year...

Photo dump of some film snaps from my season in Niseko. Great time despite the lack of snow

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00000014.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	424.5 KB 
ID:	326942

Name:	00000015.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	495.0 KB 
ID:	326943

Name:	00000053.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	776.5 KB 
ID:	326944

Name:	00000047.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	815.5 KB 
ID:	326945

Name:	00000044.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	659.3 KB 
ID:	326947

Name:	00000026.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	355.8 KB 
ID:	326948

Name:	00000022.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	430.3 KB 
ID:	326949

Name:	00000016.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	748.4 KB 
ID:	326950

Name:	00000008.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	519.7 KB 
ID:	326951

This thread really makes me want to book a trip to Hokkaido. I went to Nozawa a couple years back as we figured it was easier to do while also seeing Tokyo. We had a great time in Nozawa, caught a nice snow which made for some good turns but nothing like what is being shown here. I’ve been itching to get back and this may push me buy a flight!

Well fuck.

https://snowbrains.com/japan-may-res...ason-finishes/

I had been holding out hope.
    Everybody's gotta have parkas. I'm talking custom parkas. Two words: "client development." They see all of you out there cutting the powder in your matching Schweikart & Cokely parkas, you'll make an impression. You will thank me later.

Quote Originally Posted by HellgateBasement View Post
    Well fuck.

https://snowbrains.com/japan-may-res...ason-finishes/

I had been holding out hope.
    unfortunately I don't see it changing either.
    open up for a winter season and put the Olympics at risk a second time? not going to happen.

Anybody over there? Big snow falling, no crowds. Dream year for the expats

Only those with working visas, as I’ve been told. Missed my chance to jump on it, but couldn’t pull the trigger. News reports say a record, 8 day storm is in effect.

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    Anybody over there? Big snow falling, no crowds. Dream year for the expats
    They’ve been getting dumped on. Would love to be over there right now with little to no crowds.

Name:	CAA75534-D5E1-4AA3-87F7-31973599E050.jpeg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	353844

Ya - about 180 cm (just shy of 6’ for us American speaking dentists) in 7 days. Not bad, but it’s no Ludlow, VT...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Been a great week on Hokkaido and a super start to the season.

People are shitting saying it's best ever, but in reality this is business as usual.

Vids from 2012 and 2017

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI_ypJEDdXs/

Rad dude, I was supposed to fly Jan 7 for 21 days. Next year I guess. I was supposed to is this years Most used phrase. Have fun, enjoy the empty hills.... I will console my self by ski touring on ice and hoping for snow to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    Been a great week on Hokkaido and a super start to the season.

People are shitting saying it's best ever, but in reality this is business as usual.

Vids from 2012 and 2017

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI_ypJEDdXs/

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    Rad dude, I was supposed to fly Jan 7 for 21 days. Next year I guess. I was supposed to is this years Most used phrase. Have fun, enjoy the empty hills.... I will console my self by ski touring on ice and hoping for snow to come.
    2021 will be better

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    2021 will be better
    I’ve probably never looked forward to a season more 😉

Bump.

Currently no tourist travel allowed from the US to Japan. Here's to hoping it gets better over there in the next 6 months.

What does the hive think for this year? Busier due to pent up demand? Less busy because of COVID travel woes?

Japan has a very low vax rate
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

In the process of booking now with a group of four friends for two weeks on Hokkaido mid January ‘22. Hoping to get ahead of the demand. Everything is able to be rolled over to ‘23 if need be and travel insurance also being purchased. Time will tell…

I’m planned in for three weeks in January

Quote Originally Posted by adrian.bee View Post
    Bump.

Currently no tourist travel allowed from the US to Japan. Here's to hoping it gets better over there in the next 6 months.

What does the hive think for this year? Busier due to pent up demand? Less busy because of COVID travel woes?
    i reckon less busy.

since it started, a bunch of operators have been offering 30-50% discounts instead of refunds if you move your booking to next season.
    thus i would predict it to be busy af with those people.

but the jp gov is sooo slow at adapting to new situations that they've barely got a handle on the first wave, let alone wave four that they're currently experiencing. and i think many people won't be confident that itll open up or be safe once it has done so,
    therefore reducing the number of bookings.

so in the end i reckon itll over balance, and be less than the normal number.

i also predict the chinese tourist category to not care and book anyway. so if the places you want to go see chinese tourists, then itll be same same.
    thankfully they cant ski pow for shit and stick to green runs.

i for one am planning to go back again.

Age 40-50 can get vaccines from July 1st in my region. Don’t know the details nationally.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I’ve been keeping my eye on the Travel Caffeine Blog, as it seems to have the most detailed observations on Japan’s reopening:

https://www.travelcaffeine.com/when-...eign-tourists/

Last year was fucking epic, but it was just a normal year again - however, we were getting freshies at 4pm at Rusutsu and Niseko and I don't even really ski there anymore, and skied all day like I was 22 years old again. Fuck that was such an epic season. I kept calling it the year of the local and I think this year will be the same.

Three more prefectures put on SOE today through like 9/15 or so, and I would not be surprised if Gov. Suzuki put us in another SOE as well looking at our numbers.

Looks like another La Nina year in the cards, SE Asians, Chinese, Aussies are going to be out - no idea about Yurps or Yanks - but it will be epic for locals again. Could definitely enjoy that as I am not in the industry, unfortunately. Those who are I know some are really hurting so that part does suck for mates.

If anyone is coming to Hokkaido let us know.
    パウダーバカ!!

I’m booked in for Jan 12-23 if Hokkaido is open for travelers. I have availability to extend a week if conditions are prime through Jan 30 or so. I’d be looking for a place to sleep and Mags to hook up with Jan 23-30 if I stay on.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    I’m booked in for Jan 12-23 if Hokkaido is open for travelers. I have availability to extend a week if conditions are prime through Jan 30 or so. I’d be looking for a place to sleep and Mags to hook up with Jan 23-30 if I stay on.
    With Corona missus has been pretty adamant about people not staying, but I'm down with meeting other mags to ski with. Let us know if you're coming once the season kicks up.

I really wonder if Japan will even open up. I have a cousin trying to come out but dunno if he will be able to (like everyone else). Waiting game continues.

Gotta get MikePow back in country
    パウダーバカ!!

I would hazard a guess that Chinese New Year might be a goal or benchmark for reopening; however, with the continued slow rollout of vaccines and impending Delta variant threat, there’s real uncertainty.

Also, it’s likely some sort of vaccine passport may be required that could be bureaucratic and confusing with self reporting requirements via a Japanese website or app.

Quote Originally Posted by satori View Post
    With Corona missus has been pretty adamant about people not staying, but I'm down with meeting other mags to ski with. Let us know if you're coming once the season kicks up.

I really wonder if Japan will even open up. I have a cousin trying to come out but dunno if he will be able to (like everyone else). Waiting game continues.

Gotta get MikePow back in country
    Desperately Seeking Shiribeshi

Fingers crossed