Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    I am heading out to Japan tomorrow for my honeymoon.

Skiing in Hirafu from Sunday for a week before sight seeing time.

Praying for 7 POW days but I am not greedy, 6 would do.

Looks good Superior. Way to make the most of it

Avalanche caught a group of 8 with 1 who didn't make it: https://japantoday.com/category/nati...alanche-1-dead

Super sad to see this happen, and worrisome since I plan on being there in a week.

Something I've noticed while watching videos of the "sidecountry" which you enter through gates at the resorts is that a lot of people hike up and ski that terrain, which could easily be and probably is avy terrain, without any avy safety gear.

Quote Originally Posted by aguo5520 View Post
    Something I've noticed while watching videos of the "sidecountry" which you enter through gates at the resorts is that a lot of people hike up and ski that terrain, which could easily be and probably is avy terrain, without any avy safety gear.
    I just got back from Niseko and found the gates to be an absolute gong show—like nothing I have ever seen. Hundreds of people with no gear and no clue skiing on top of each other on steep slopes. Also, last week some of the creeks still had holes and some folks fell in. One more reason to avoid the obvious terrain traps.

Despite the grievances and the much lower than normal snowpack, I had a great time and skied great snow. Often in plain sight.

There is a pretty 'lax attitude to the often benign terrain on Hokkaido, I can see how some guys used to the French Alps could let their guard down.
    I would be interested to know if there was some trauma involved, seemed like a pretty small slide from the report.

No good. We also set off a small slide in Tomamu last year. Puking all day and you could see things starting to get a bit slabby and then one broke on us on relatively mellow terrain so it didn't go to far. We all had full avy gear but still should have ready the signs better (it was dam good snow). Stayed in bounds after that. Everyone things Japan is flat but it does have its areas of caution.

+2
    Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post
    I just got back from Niseko and found the gates to be an absolute gong show—like nothing I have ever seen. Hundreds of people with no gear and no clue skiing on top of each other on steep slopes. Also, last week some of the creeks still had holes and some folks fell in. One more reason to avoid the obvious terrain traps.

Despite the grievances and the much lower than normal snowpack, I had a great time and skied great snow. Often in plain sight.

Looks like it’s dumping next week...

Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post

The muppet show going out the gates has been quite a topic here recently.
    Next season Niseko Avalanche Prevention Committee have announced that they're going to require an avalanche beacon and helmet to be permitted out the gates.
    This has been quite contentious, lots o bitching on facebook/etc. The Japanese are especially not fans of wearing helmets, presumably because it messes with their ski fashion?

Obviously this rule isn't going to effect advanced and experienced riders out there that have the training and deserve to be there.
    I don't particular care about the mediocre riders going out the gates here either. They might not get home until nightfall, but at least they probably will. It would be better if they had at least some clue, a plan, and basic sense of direction, and maybe the new rule will prompt them to consider that, but they represent the smallest of these 3 categories I mentioned here.
    The critical part is that we've got hoards of literally first day/first week beginner skiers & boarders walking past all the signage, heading out there for a selfie because everyone else is doing it, then asking strangers "where is the green run home". These are the people who are most dangerous to themselves and others.

I hope they stand their ground and introduce the rule. selfishly I just want less people going out the gates and more snow for me ;p

We've finally got enough base that most of the tree areas and slack/backcountry are skiable if you don't mind tight trees and a few surprises.
    But snow is coming .... I hope! I've been fooled by forecasts before.

Tonnes of Aussies in the backcountry there who can barely ride the resort heading to places they shouldn't. Same thing here in Whistler. Helmet rule is interesting. If there was anywhere in the world i could convince my girlfriend to let me not wear a helmet it would be the Hokkaido backcountry.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Helmet rule is interesting. If there was anywhere in the world i could convince my girlfriend to let me not wear a helmet it would be the Hokkaido backcountry.
    I suppose we have a lot less rocks to deal with. But so many fallen trees, roots, high altitude shrubs with those vines, and sasa (bamboo) hidden just below the surface. A single loop of sasa can catch your skis, whereas you might just glance over a hidden rock.

I was kind of blown away by the gates at Niseko and the people just filing through them, clearly unaware. It didn't feel like backcountry at all and that's a problem.

At least in kiroro, you had to file a plan in the morning, marked on a map entry and exit gates you planed to use, what kind of backcountry gear you carried (not that they required it). You then got a ticket you had to show patrol before going though the gates which you had to return at the end of the day.

Have the conditions got better with the most recent snowfall? Is it still early season conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    At least in kiroro, you had to file a plan in the morning, marked on a map entry and exit gates you planed to use, what kind of backcountry gear you carried (not that they required it). You then got a ticket you had to show patrol before going though the gates which you had to return at the end of the day.
    Really? We definitely didn't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    Really? We definitely didn't do that.
    Two years ago they did, maybe they stopped. There was one unmanned gate from what I remember, felt kind sorry for the patrol that sat in these little tiny tents in the freaking cold snowy weather that never let up.

Looks like they still have the mountain club that lets you register at 8:00am instead of 9, also includes links to the registration forms for the different zones
    https://www.kiroro.co.jp/mountain_club/

Easy & Speedy Mountain Climbing Plan Registration
    KIRORO MOUNTAIN CLUB MEMBER can submit their Mountain Climbing Plan from 8:00 AM

Mountain Climbing Plan submission is required to use KIRORO EXIT&RE-ENTRY.
    Submission starts at 9:00 AM for non-KIRORO MOUNTAIN CLUB MEMBER.
    Please check-in at Kiroro Mountain Club after finishing skiing/snowboarding.

Quote Originally Posted by pfj View Post
    Have the conditions got better with the most recent snowfall? Is it still early season conditions?
    Seconded. Looks like it’s been consistent on Interwebz. How’s it looking from the ground? Arriving Hokkaido 2/18...

Hokkaido Japan; Central Hokkaido or Niseko

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Seconded. Looks like it’s been consistent on Interwebz. How’s it looking from the ground? Arriving Hokkaido 2/18...
    Yup, still mangly trees, and icy conditions everywhere, with the possible exception of the north-facing backside of Niseko ski resort, which has been getting more consistent snowfall.

I also have been told that Furano is skiing moderately well, and there’s quite a bit of snow on Asahidake. Best bet if you’re coming over is to have wheels and chase the snow.

I skied mount Yotei three days ago, and it was completely bulletproof and wind scoured with rain crusts down low.

However, I also skied yesterday and found about 4 to 6 inches of dust on crust in the zone behind the resort.

We have 4-5 days of precip forecasted this week, and very low temps. Hopefully, this is the reset and winter pattern finally arriving.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2873.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	249.0 KB 
ID:	313637
    Yesterday behind the resort

Name:	IMG_2856.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	416.2 KB 
ID:	313638
    Wind affected slopes everywhere

Name:	IMG_2820.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	411.3 KB 
ID:	313639
    And finally, gapers skinning the middle of a bowl, putting a skin track exactly where you’d want to ski ... lemmings

Tohoku is absolutely firing despite low tide! Today was day 6 today of skiing and we have not been disappointed or had a bad day!

Place 1

Name:	IMG_0224.jpeg 
Views:	92 
Size:	761.0 KB 
ID:	313658

Place 2

Name:	IMG_2294.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	313659

Name:	IMG_0165.JPEG 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	313660

Place 3

Name:	IMG_0189.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	899.3 KB 
ID:	313661

Place 4

Name:	IMG_2614.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	170.9 KB 
ID:	313662

Edited to remove details

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by SkiLyft; 02-03-2020 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Will post a TR after my trip but Tohoku is absolutely firing despite low tide! Today was day 6 today of skiing and we have not been disappointed or had a bad day!

NUKING at Hokkoda today and ropeway was shut down for wind — tomorrow should be STUPID!

If you have the availability/option I’d opt out of Hokkaido— combination of low snow and shit tons of people have lead to a shit show. We have had our choice of any line we wanted with absolutely zero people!
    Nice pics @Skilyft! I am in Tokyo next weekend and brought my (touring) gear with me just in case. Where would you go? I checked Snow-Forecast and seems to be cold and puking all week everywhere. Been to Hokkaido a few years ago but never skied in Honshu. Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by bobinch View Post
    Nice pics @Skilyft! I am in Tokyo next weekend and brought my (touring) gear with me just in case. Where would you go? I checked Snow-Forecast and seems to be cold and puking all week everywhere. Been to Hokkaido a few years ago but never skied in Honshu. Thanks in advance
    pm’d

Last edited by SkiLyft; 02-03-2020 at 05:58 AM.

SkiLyft, tone it down a bit there.

You guys have about one year until all your secrets are gone and Tohoku is just as crowded as Niseko.

Save it for your bros. No need to make it headline news.

Yeah, let the aussies get there first...

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    SkiLyft, tone it down a bit there.
    Ha - roger that. Sent beta via PM.