Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Arrived in Furano two days ago, and honestly it's a little more tracked out than I expected. Talked to a guide who said it's been a while since the last proper snowfall, so I guess it's to be expected. Tried some short tours in the side country yesterday, but we couldn't find anything that wasn't already tracked out to shit, or super dense shrubbery type trees.

I'm guessing this is all due to not knowing where to look. Any pointers on where to go? Any tours in the close vicinity that could be good now? Thinking of leaving for Asahidake, but would like to stay at Furano some more as I've heard so many great things about it.

Secrets out.

Asahidake is worth the drive but still gonna need to work for turns.

Tokachidake will have good touring and many options if weather is good. If vis is poor, stay down low in the trees. Soak at kamihoroso onsen after

Yes, Furano has more Americans than I could ever imagine, and consequently, the highest percentage of DPS skis I've ever witnessed.

Thanks for the tip about Tokachidake, will definitely check that out. We have a hotel booked in close vicinity of Asahidake for the next few days, so anything in a drivable distance to that is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrgha View Post
    Yes, Furano has more Americans than I could ever imagine, and consequently, the highest percentage of DPS skis I've ever witnessed.

Thanks for the tip about Tokachidake, will definitely check that out. We have a hotel booked in close vicinity of Asahidake for the next few days, so anything in a drivable distance to that is good.
    The forecast in central Hokkaido looks dry for a few days too: https://www.snowjapan.com/japan-dail...ather-forecast

Asahidake will probably have some 500ft ish vert shots left with a long access and semi-long exit (assuming you don't get lost). But snow will likely be good, cold and deep from my limited experience going there after about 2 days of dry.

Definitely look into touring if you have the gear with you. On snow days Furano was seeing 2-3 tram waits at times last month, so unsurprising a week later it is tracked out. Kamui is pretty low key and may have some good snow still (pretty mellow) and is up north towards Asahidake.

If you have touring gear go. Hit kurodake. Ropway is still closed probably will not be tracked out.

or you can just come to Kiroro :-) From today...

https://www.instagram.com/stories/hi...9976657333996/

Arrived in Furano two days ago, and honestly it's a little more tracked out than I expected. Talked to a guide who said it's been a while since the last proper snowfall, so I guess it's to be expected. Tried some short tours in the side country yesterday, but we couldn't find anything that wasn't already tracked out to shit, or super dense shrubbery type trees.

I'm guessing this is all due to not knowing where to look. Any pointers on where to go? Any tours in the close vicinity that could be good now? Thinking of leaving for Asahidake, but would like to stay at Furano some more as I've heard so many great things about it.
    We had the same thing happen at Furano last week. We ended up about 2 hours north at Nayoro Piyashiri. No one goes there, so there are lines to be had galore. (as an aside... ski patrol there REALLY doesn't like it when people duck their ropes).

Check out the below ....

Thanks for the great beta, guys! Will likely be going to Kiroro in a few days as we have a hotel booked not far from Toyako. Planning to hit Rusutsu as well, heard good things about the trees there.

Skinning Kurodake sounds great. How is accessing the resort when it's closed?

Just arrived at our hotel in Asahidake. Never seen so much snow in my life - - it's quite frankly absurd. Bringing out the Cease & Desists and hoping for the best tomorrow.

Arrived in Tokyo on Monday to find our skis had made it, but nothing else, (including bindings). Ugh.

Got kitted up in hilariously awful rental clothing and some old but decent gear and skied Moiwa on Wednesday and Rusutsu on Thursday, which were both epic. Our gear arrived Thursday and we hit Rusutsu again on Friday which still had plenty of fresh until things got a little warm and crusty by mid afternoon. Pretty amazing 3 days, and I don't think we've waited in line more than 6 chairs at all.

Taking today off (more due to mental exhaustion than physical) and hoping for more snow, but the forecast isn't looking great from now until we leave on the 25th. Can anyone comment on how accurate the forecast generally is? Back home if there's no snow predicted in the 10 day forecast, it generally isn't going to snow, hoping that's not so much the case here.

One of the deepest days I had at furano was a 0 cm report. The 2 days the forecast specifically said it wouldn't snow at all it didn't, however.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    One of the deepest days I had at furano was a 0 cm report. The 2 days the forecast specifically said it wouldn't snow at all it didn't, however.
    That was my biggest takeaway for future trips. Ignore the forecast and look at the radar.

+1 ignoring the forecast. If the winds are coming from sea, seems like you’ll get snow

Skied Asahidake today. Dryest and deepest snow I've ever seen. It's so light, it's like smoke. It's a Saturday so the easily accessible stuff got tracked fast, but we skinned out skiers left of the top station and found great snow and even some pretty steep terrain. Best day in Japan by far. But damn the weather changes rapidly here!

Anyone skied Kamui ski links? Driving south from Asahidake tomorrow and considering stopping there on the way. Worth it?

I'm headed to Furano tomorrow (Tuesday), going to be there until Friday. I'm planning on doing sidecountry at Furano resort on Wednesday and have a guide booked on Thursday (probably will go to Tokachidake). My buddy got injured so I'm rolling solo, but I have touring/avy gear, a car, and a bit of beta on Furano. If anyone wants to meet up for some turns shoot me a PM.

Anyone skied Kamui ski links? Driving south from Asahidake tomorrow and considering stopping there on the way. Worth it?
    Beta sent
    Last edited by jtran10; 02-21-2019 at 01:27 PM. Reason: edited out info to avoid JONGs

Thank you! Great beta. We ended up going, and I can imagine this being a great little resort when the snow's good. Lots of easily accessible tree runs. Unfortunately, today was rather warm, and it looks like it has been a while since it last snowed as it was all tracked out. The warm wind really didn't help either..

At this ridiculously fancy (last minute booking) hotel near lake Toya now. Hitting Rusutsu tomorrow. I Honestly don't have high hopes as it seems like the entire island has been struck with warm weather.
    That's a bummer. Saw Furano reported 19cm of snow on the 18th, would have assumed Kamui would have gotten in on that storm too. Maybe everyone was so desperate with the lack of snow over the past week or so?

just a tip. PM people. Stop gushing about places online for the masses to see. Let everyone go to Niseko United. Thats where the goods are.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil E View Post
    just a tip. PM people. Stop gushing about places online for the masses to see. Let everyone go to Niseko United. Thats where the goods are.
    That's true. Every place we've been to has had more people than I expected. Hordes of loud Australians everywhere. I guess it's hard to keep secrets in this time of hashtags and social media.

At Rusutsu today, and unfortunately, it is as expected, way too warm. Slushy snow all the way to the top. The resort is very nice though. Lots of super easily available terrain right off the lifts. The whole Disney land theme adds to the charm!

So, on to something completely different: does anyone know of a good luggage storage company at Narita airport? Need some place to put the ski gear while we go to Tokyo for a few days.

We used GPA (1st floor, Terminal 1, arrivals). It was around $40 for 2 bags for 2 days while we were in Tokyo, it didn't seem super secure or organized but everything was there 2 days later.

Absolutely worth it, taking luggage on the Tokyo subway would have suuuuucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Monoteleskier View Post
    We used GPA (1st floor, Terminal 1, arrivals). It was around $40 for 2 bags for 2 days while we were in Tokyo, it didn't seem super secure or organized but everything was there 2 days later.

Absolutely worth it, taking luggage on the Tokyo subway would have suuuuucked.
    Same. It's right across from the S1 door near the currency exchange counter.

https://www.tokyo-airport-bldg.co.jp...minal1_b1f.png

That reminds me. We used Japan Airport Techno for storage at the Haneda domestic terminal (18 on the map linked above) without incident on the way home.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thank you everyone for the beta on this thread! Just returned from a trip with no snow, but we still had fun. Since they are already mentioned, had fun at niseko, Asahidake, and furanodake. got to summit mt yotei and ski a few laps in the cone ala lou dawson style in his blog from a few years ago. Asahidake was too windy/socked in to explore much but still got some good laps in and lots of drinking/onsen time. the lunches there were extremely good. last days spent at furano dake. stayed at the small onsen at the top of the road heading to the saddle between furnaodake and takishidake (spell check). the rental car advise was great- had a van for the trip with plenty of room for gear and even took some coloRADians who hadn't gotten their international driving permit to niseko with us. Everyone bags on niseko, but we had lots of fun there! lots of touring opportunities around there and the town vibe can be fun- good food/drink/socializing. i wouldn't spend my whole time there, but it was fun for what it was.

Wanting to go to Japan as well!