Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24
    You guys might be getting some good news. I heard in the news that for business travelers to Japan that the length of time that you have to self isolate is going to go from 14 to 3 days. Lots of pressure on various ministries here so hoping that the border will open up.

(actually that's a lie but still it'd be good to see some old faces here again )
    パウダーバカ!!

Quote Originally Posted by satori View Post
    You guys might be getting some good news. I heard in the news that for business travelers to Japan that the length of time that you have to self isolate is going to go from 14 to 3 days. Lots of pressure on various ministries here so hoping that the border will open up.

(actually that's a lie but still it'd be good to see some old faces here again )
    rather pointless tho. everyone we've talked to is still waiting on their visas to be issued.
    one couple "only" took 8 weeks, but everyone else are 14 weeks deep in the queue with still no sign of them being issued.
    we've got applications in, but there was so much back and forward that we only put them in recently.
    it seems we'll be spending our travel budget in usa or canada instead.
    lucky we've been paying rent the last 2 years :/

Hokkaido Japan; Central Hokkaido or Niseko

Interesting story in the new ski journal issue regarding last winter in Hokkaido. Penned from the perspective of a Kiwi guide who married into the family of Hokkaido gal from the Furano area.

Itís hard to describe powder skiing in words imho, so I found it to be more interesting from the perspective of change in the demographics of Japan.

Would be cool if any of our friends who made it to Hokkaido (or stayed there) would post up pics of the empty ski resorts.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    Would be cool if any of our friends who made it to Hokkaido (or stayed there) would post up pics of the empty ski resorts.
    I didn't make it up to Hokkaido but at least on Honshu the big resorts were far from empty. It was less crowded in places like Hakuba but there were plenty of expats and locals who were still getting after it. It was much better than the year before but 20-30 minute lift lines weren't uncommon on weekends and powder days.

That being said, one of the unexpected perks of shutting down travel was that many of the resorts didn't utilize all of their lifts, turning some great terrain from in-bounds to side-country. There was an entire ridge inbounds at Cortina that didn't open all season and was a 10 minute hike from lift accessed terrain. Hopefully they save some more money this season and keep it closed.

The latest from Japan is that students and workers are now allowed to enter the country.
    "We will assess the effectiveness of these measures and decide whether to reopen the country for tourism by the end of the year, taking into account the infection situation," deputy government spokesperson Isozaki Yoshihiko said at a news conference on Monday.
    God created skis and surfboards to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    My 2 bits:
    Like the legendary wild Pacific salmon, against all odds they overcome the seemingly impossible challenges and return to their spawning grounds. Mike too will return to his winter spawning fields, spraying everything in his path with his champagne pow wake.
    Go Mike!
    Buy lottery tickets tonight

New Government in Japan beginning to allow entry.

At this stage only selected countries and those studying or working.

My Certificate of Eligibility issued in December 2020 is still valid, so just waiting on new paperwork from sponsor and then it's up to the Japanese Embassy in London.

The feeling is tourists will be allowed in once the first wave of students & workers has come in and there's no spike in infection rates.

I have heard that the Japanese won't be accepting the Johnson & Johnson vaccine but that may change.

2021/22 Japan Season could well be on.

I'm gagging.

Bump. Winter has arrived in Japan, the resorts are opening in Nagano and NIseko is advertising that they'll open next week. Furano opens today.

On the negative side it doesn't seem like travel is coming back any time soon. With this talk of the new Omicron variant it's hard to imagine that any restrictions will be rolled back in the near future.

Some kamoshika on a deep day for stoke.
    Name:  kamoshika.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  163.6 KB
    God created skis and surfboards to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.

Hokkaido Japan; Central Hokkaido or Niseko

According to IG, it was opening day for what looks like Sapporo Kokusai Resort. All the buddies are reporting about 100 cms of new snow in the last 2-3 daysÖ and thatís on the valley floor.

I always wished I could go for an early season Japan banger tripÖ Before everybody got there in January.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...-restrictions/

Unfortunate news for anyone with fingers crossed for 2022.

Yep, we cancelled our Mid-January trip and got full refunds as we were over a month out.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    I was at the Japanese Embassy in London yesterday (29th) hours before they shut the door to foreign visitors

I could have submitted my visa application but it won’t be seen until they lift the border closure.

First review is in a month by which time the Embassy will be closed for Christmas.

First sign of opening the borders is early January

If I put my application in today they would have my passport until then

And even then there’s no guarantee it will open

Window was too small from 08 - 29 November to get all the paperwork to me and get it processed before shutdown

Silver lining is none of my customers can get in either

They’re rescheduling their trips to Feb

So if we can all get in at least I’ll have work then

Beacons here I come

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWyhTgKD-Y6/