Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    We just cancelled our trip. BC it shall be this year. We won't make the mistake of buying tickets before Jan again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T707A using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Hokkaido Japan; Central Hokkaido or Niseko

It’s lean times here in Kiroro, and skiing the dense bush in the backcountry is what its come to for me. A little 5-10cm topper of snow helped today, but it’s a tease.

Eagerly awaiting any insight from Central Hokkaido, Asahidake, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2473.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	310268Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2468.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	221.8 KB 
ID:	310269Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2466.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	238.1 KB 
ID:	310270

So it's looking that we are turning this trip into a sightseeing, onsen, food tour with a little bit of skiing thrown in for good measure. It's great that they offer 4 hour lift ticket prices. No complaints.

Rusutsu today was ok. 3-5 cm dusting. At least it's soft underneath. The few lines through the trees devoid of bamboo were entertaining.

Sleeping in the van tonight in Niseko. As we are already here, figure we should put in a few hours tomorrow. What's the consensus as to where to head? Will put on skins if it's worth it but would prefer lift served.

Open to suggestions for this week as well. I guess that we will head Northeast at some point. It looks like there might be a bit (a couple cm's!) of fresh coming on Thursday and Friday.

We’re in Tokachi area. I’d guess there is 40% less snowpack at 1500m than when we were here in 2014, much less so at 700m. Backcountry ski conditions have been decent - but not amazing. Some boot top pow, some wind crust. The competition for fresh tracks here is insane. There were 10x as many people at the trailheads compared to 6 years ago. This was after it snowed 3”.

If you have a trip planned here in the next two weeks with the main interest of riding deep pow inbounds I would recommend cancelling. If you have never visited Japan and are really interested in the travel experience that is of course still great. The skiing has been pretty good - but not that good by Hokkaido standards.

Any insight on northern Honshu snow conditions? We have a trip planned from Jan 21 - Feb 9 and are pretty flexible in terms of locations(we're planning to rent a van). Trying to decide if it is still worth going and if there is anywhere with decent snow conditions, or if we should cancel. I know Japan is great in terms of cultural and food experiences, but honestly we are mostly looking to ski, so...

Snow analysis tool from JMA showing what’s on the ground: https://www.data.jma.go.jp/fcd/yoho/...elements:snowd

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

wow, that's just sad....

Quote Originally Posted by alect47 View Post
    Any insight on northern Honshu snow conditions? We have a trip planned from Jan 21 - Feb 9 and are pretty flexible in terms of locations(we're planning to rent a van). Trying to decide if it is still worth going and if there is anywhere with decent snow conditions, or if we should cancel. I know Japan is great in terms of cultural and food experiences, but honestly we are mostly looking to ski, so...
    Head West, but not that far West?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Head West, but not that far West?
    Hahah, so Utah

[QUOTE=telepariah;5860528]OG locals in Niseko are saying they've never seen this little snow in 50 years.[/QUOTES]
    Of course it is, this is the year I'm finally locked in to go. Sorry guys, it's my fault, next time I'll let everyone know long in advance so that you can plan accordingly and go to the opposite end of the appropriate hemisphere.
    Rethinking size of skis to take and shifting more to a cultural trip.

Quote Originally Posted by McDee View Post
    Of course it is, this is the year I'm finally locked in to go. Sorry guys, it's my fault, next time I'll let everyone know long in advance so that you can plan accordingly and go to the opposite end of the appropriate hemisphere.
    Rethinking size of skis to take and shifting more to a cultural trip.
    Nope, I take full responsibility as I just finished my first Japan skiing trip and only brought super-fat skis. Snow wasn't great but had one deep day on the 5th plus a few 5k vert touring days. Cool experience and I definitely was able to see the potential of many of the areas I skied with a normal snowpack covering the much of the bamboo and brush.

It was still a trip of a lifetime but next time I will shorten the trip and focus solely on BC and not plan on resort riding.

Name:	c8f54f93-972e-401a-b15c-81a3a372a958.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	698.4 KB 
ID:	310629

Name:	IMG_2508.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	307.0 KB 
ID:	310630Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2513.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	310631

Niseko backcountry from the last few days - more snow is needed, but it’s still fun to make powder turns.

Leave Saturday for Niseko, hopefully conditions continue to improve.

wow I never seen that much willow (er I mean bamboo ) 4 yars ago and that was suposed to be a low snow year

thots n prayers eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Tons of alder making life tough, actually.

We typically can ski through the bamboo, and I’m doing so like a goddam velociraptor in Jurassic Park 3.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Had some fun poking around the goshiki area and then kiroro sidecountry earlier this week. Snow was ok especially the 15 cm fresh in kiroro on Tuesday.
    Roadtripped to Abashiri for some sightseeing and whale sashimi. As soon as you get on the eastern side of the mountains, snow depth drops considerably. Mini ski areas abound in every little nook and cranny out here though. Kind of surprised there aren't more Japanese WC racers given easy the access to slopes.
    Tomorrow Furano.

And what's the deal with the speed limits here? 50 seems to be the norm, 80 occasionally on the "express"ways but nobody seems to follow those limits. Either too fast when the conditions are sketchy or too slow on the rare occasion that the roads are in good condition. Haven't seen any sign of police though in several hundred kms of driving.

If it is like europe there are speed cameras doing all the work. The american way of cops in cars is a complete waste of time and money.

Name:	DSC04069.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	296.0 KB 
ID:	311726

Name:	DSC04255.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	603.4 KB 
ID:	311727

Somebody asked for conditions from Central Hokkaido? The deepest snow I've skied in 3 visits to Japan. Rusutsu was fun today too.
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrr
    There are good men out there. Good men who are good looking, who ski hard, have their shit in order, know their priorities in life and will make you happy. I'm not one of them, but they are out there.

Skied hakuba area today at Tsugaike - took Gondi up then backcountry. Fresh snow in alpine ~50cm.

Ski pen 30-40cm. Foot pen.. crotch minimum. Snowing hard all morning ~S4? Every ski turn was a faceshot in the morning. Sun came out in afternoon and consolidated things a bit but damn. Day 1 of japan snow and I’m hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiilbert View Post

Somebody asked for conditions from Central Hokkaido? The deepest snow I've skied in 3 visits to Japan. Rusutsu was fun today too.

Currently snowing hard in Niseko. Yesterday was deep.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Tell us more about Rusutsu - heading there as well as Niseko in less than a month.

Cool shots! Tell us more about Rusutsu - heading there as well as Niseko in less than a month.

Hokkaido Japan; Central Hokkaido or Niseko

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Cool shots! Tell us more about Rusutsu - heading there as well as Niseko in less than a month.
    Rusutsu is the Grand Targhee of the Niseko area. It’s very easy to ski. Just find trees and hop inside. The whole mountain is open for business.

I’d avoid Niseko / Hirafu like the Black Death unless it’s going crazy snowing and the gates/side country is firing. It’s no longer a unique Japanese ski town, more like a tourist trap.

Just my .02

The conditions continue to be disappointing.
    Last edited by SUPERIOR; 01-23-2020 at 03:08 PM.

Update: it was snowing lightly for three days, and now it’s going to get really warm.

Today, I take back what I said about Niseko. It was pretty dang good. Perhaps one of the best days I’ve had in a month.

Name:	IMG_2721.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	278.2 KB 
ID:	312358

Name:	IMG_2713.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	178.3 KB 
ID:	312359

Name:	IMG_2715.JPG