Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    Thanks @SkiLyft! Is there a reliable JP weather site? Looking pretty windy up in Tohoku according to Snow-Forecast. Also had recommendations for Hakuba and Yazawa (Kagura) which look a bit more settled, at least on Sunday. Have my touring setup but no idea how accessible the terrain is and whether a guide is recommended or any of these places are safe to DIY?

HOKKAIDO NiSEKO

I use windy, seems accurate enough. I feel like the snow totals here are always a best guess. a few 5cm forecasts have yielded 15cm or more. the wind seems to be most important here. Does anyone have another source??

niseko gets hammered even the slack country. the gates are kook factor 110%. Lemmeing factor seems high. Hot springs are nice. Iv been surprised at the inbound stashes here. most A: go for the top lifts or B: go for the gates. hasn't let up since the lunar new year.

Im headed back to the states for a bit so I hope that helps.

FWIW the skiing has been really fun but i think thats the terrain here, fun. Also the low snow has left lots of natural feature that make the lower angle slopes engaging and fun. Hirafu is an awesome ski village to meet people from all over.

the Niseko Avalanche people are awesome. their forecast is the best. A few patroller have told me that this year is a year to on guard as seasons similar in the past have had large deep avalanches. maybe due to the warmer wetter snow. the tree skiing is amazing an the snow on the northern slopes always holds if it hasn't blown away. 600m-900m is a magical elevation band.
    Last edited by ryanneverclimbs; 02-05-2020 at 02:37 AM.

Hokkaido Japan; Central Hokkaido or Niseko

^^^ I would not agree the Niseko avalanche forecast is even close to the best, but do agree with your positive outlook! Hope you had a great time.

For all visitors... do your own pit work and don’t rely on the lemming factor or ancient Niseko avalanche forecast to guide you.

FYI - the forecaster, Shinya, took two days off during the biggest storm cycle of the year this week. What a terrible idea. The forecast won’t be published in perhaps the time of greatest need.

HOKKAIDO NiSEKO

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    ^^^ I would not agree the Niseko avalanche forecast is even close to the best, but do agree with your positive outlook! Hope you had a great time.

For all visitors... do your own pit work and don’t rely on the lemming factor or ancient Niseko avalanche forecast to guide you.

FYI - the forecaster, Shinya, took two days off during the biggest storm cycle of the year this week. What a terrible idea. The forecast won’t be published in perhaps the time of greatest need.
    do you live in the area!? Im in Niseko Town and always looking for people to ski with! I thought that was funny him saying there would be no advisory for these few days. Do you have another source for an advisory thats better? I feel they have good insight to the area with relatively accurate information for the Niseko range/area.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanneverclimbs View Post
    do you live in the area!? Im in Niseko Town and always looking for people to ski with! I thought that was funny him saying there would be no advisory for these few days. Do you have another source for an advisory thats better? I feel they have good insight to the area with relatively accurate information for the Niseko range/area.
    I have been in and out of this area for several years, working a few different jobs in the mountains.

The Niseko avalanche forecast is better than nothing, but questionable and not particularly useful for anywhere besides the resort back bowls of Osawa and Kazanosawa.

The report rarely mentions Yotei, Rusutsu, Shiribetsu, or any other areas that are popular with skiers. Most guide services issue their own private in-house bulletins and hold private meetings to share info.

The resort needs to get a handle on the outbound backcountry gates skier traffic, and I’m not sure what they will do (or who they will blame) when a big accident happens.

that is funny the Rusutsu resort ski partrol doesn't do something similar.

Seems to be puking in Myoko. Anyone skied here - Lotte Arai looks interesting
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B8L81iul...=1u3yn9ntylmd7

Myoko area has lots of options. Worth it for sure.

Admittedly I am not much of a skier anymore. But I still enjoy when the snow is as smooth to see as cake frosting and as light as powder and I feel the noiseless rush the speed makes as you drop down like a bird.

Anyways. the conditions seem pleasant enough around here for me.

Last edited by Ernest_Hemingway; 02-05-2020 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    Admittedly I am not much of a skier anymore. But I still enjoy when the snow is as smooth to see as cake frosting and as light as powder and I feel the noiseless rush the speed makes as you drop down like a bird.

Anyways. the conditions seem pleasant enough around here for me
    That looks mighty fine Ernest! May I enquiry where “here” is?

Good as it gets in Niseko right now, so if you’re here for the next four days you’ll be stoked. Rain and warm temps forecast for next Wednesday/ Thursday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2906.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	287.2 KB 
ID:	314338Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2928.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	314339Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2959.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	232.0 KB 
ID:	314340Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2969.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	314341

Not sure there’s a Honshu thread so will post here. First day in Myoko (Akakura Kanko). 25cm of pow goes a long way here... Seki Onsen tomorrow

Encore

Name:	IMG_5387.JPG 
Views:	195 
Size:	617.2 KB 
ID:	314597

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Now in Happo, Hakuba. Great conditions although warmer from today

Name:	IMG_5500.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	795.0 KB 
ID:	315271

Just spent 5 days in Niseko, a day in Rusutsu and arrived in Furano last night. Lot more snow in Niseko area than here, esp with top up superior mentioned earlier. Rusutsu was a bit meagre as well. Spent Monday in Otaru and drove back in a blizzard, so I reckon snow in that area must also be ok.
    Was in Asahidake today, snow there is a couple days old but still fun. Visibility was zero, as in couldn't see hand in front of face, so played it very safe. Will def want to come back to Asahidake, place feels very fun.
    It was warm tho in the valley +2 to +3°c snow was starting to melt on the roads to Furano.

Every time I try to edit the post, it deletes it. So sorry if this disapeared again.

Hiked up Mt Karamatsu. Windy up, peachy down!

Looking for lodging recommendations in Asahikawa.

Seem to be a handful of nice looking cottages on AirBnb as well as some hotel resorts further east.

Are there other options I should be looking into?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hokkaido Japan; Central Hokkaido or Niseko

I have friends in Furano with an Airbnb

JR Inn in Asahikwa is super convenient if you’re using trains and busses to get around. Tons of restaurants and such around there too. Book it on Expedia or talk them down on the price in person and it’s affordable.

While I found it fun to visit Asahikawa for an evening as a no-pretense city experience, it’s a bit of a hassle to drive out of town every day to skiing. I’d recommend staying closer to where you want to ski for the most part unless you really want that location.

Heading to Niseko on Tuesday w my daughter. Any more recent updates? Forecast looks good for next few days...

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    This past week has been excellent in SW Hokkaido, but got warm yesterday (21 Feb).

Rained from mid-afternoon through to around 1am.

Blowing a gale, dumping with snow, drifts everywhere today (22 Feb).

Looks like everything is closed.

Thanks! Got in some good days at Grand Hirafu, Annapuri trees, and Hanazono peak and trees with pow n tree skiing with my daughter last week before weather changed. Only have video for action, but got a few photos, too.

Name:	IMG_0256.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	254.5 KB 
ID:	317224

Name:	IMG_0331.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	219.6 KB 
ID:	317225

Name:	IMG_0325.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	211.3 KB 
ID:	317226

Skiing was fun and the food was excellent.

Name:	IMG_0338.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	317227

Name:	IMG_0340.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	317228

Name:	IMG_0344.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	317229

Name:	IMG_0299.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	183.0 KB 
ID:	317230

Bummer that the bamboo is still visible.