Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Decided to stick to my plan and head south Saturday. Storming hard in furano tonight, tomorrow should be good!

Quote Originally Posted by Adrgha View Post
    Sweet. Did you get as much snow as you expected?
    We got skunked the first few days but found plenty of stashes and untracked lines. After that it dumped. Really just one bad day of skiing which was saved by the storm coming in and skiing night pow.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Japanese food has been great. Japanese toilet paper and beer are crap.
    Sapporo and Asahi are ok. Just stick to the sake anyway - junmai is the way to go if you like it dry and smooth. Also a huge fan of the Roku gin.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Heading over in the morning, can’t wait!

What’s the best option for Narita to Haneda transfers? I have 3 hours between flights, 3pm-6pm

Is the traffic going to be really bad to take a shuttle? Is it better to just take the train and deal with lugging baggage from one train to the other?

Japanese food has been great. Japanese toilet paper and beer are crap.

FYI for anyone following the thread for info: we shipped out ski bags via Yamato black cat service from Narita, but could not ship to Chitose airport for pickup. Instead we shipped to the warehouse in Otaru and picked up the bags there. About $20 each. Worked perfectly.

Our rental car is a Subaru Crossover (that's the name - aka Exiga), and 192cm skis fit inside. 3-row car. We fit four people and skis and luggage inside, barely. I'm glad we didn't get the Toyota Sienta - saw them and they are shorter than this Subaru. We're using GPS on phones rather than the one in the dashboard - seems to work better.
    Fucking great beta here. What car company?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Fucking great beta here. What car company?

It was back towards the beginning of the thread.

Nippon Rent-a-car if you open an online account (profile) there is a big discount.

Quote Originally Posted by ripvanwinter View Post

Nippon Rent-a-car if you open an online account (profile) there is a big discount.
    Thanks for not ripping into me, this is a long thread haha I’ve now put a google doc together to keep it sorted

We're in Otaru now, dumping down snow!

Went to Sapporo Teine today because all of us had a rough night's sleep and started late. It was OK - tiny area, off piste jammed with brush and trees ib many areas.

Tomorrow should be good. Snow is accumulating fast. Thinking Kiroro...
    Got into some serious thickets at Teine a couple weeks ago, lookers left of chair. Still the antenna lines are hard to beat, just seem to get tracked quickly.

Best run of the trip today, but some issues with wind closures post 1130 am. Coming back next year without question

That sounds picky. The skiing has been great every day. Met and exceeded expectations for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ripvanwinter View Post

Yes, Nippon Rent a Car. I'm not sure if we registered correctly for the big discount - our car for 7 days, plus the Hokkaido Expressway Pass (for 8 days), was something like 73000 yen (we're splitting it four ways so no big deal). I didn't research the HEP much in advance, but found something online with estimated toll way costs for places we are going, and it looked like we would hit the cost of the HEP really quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Yes, Nippon Rent a Car. I'm not sure if we registered correctly for the big discount - our car for 7 days, plus the Hokkaido Expressway Pass (for 8 days), was something like 73000 yen (we're splitting it four ways so no big deal). I didn't research the HEP much in advance, but found something online with estimated toll way costs for places we are going, and it looked like we would hit the cost of the HEP really quickly.
    Hey El Chup, I have the same rig booked for our trip at 131,000 Y for 13 days, with the HEP, ETC and Ski Racks. Used the Nippon discount like was suggested, and totally agree that the HEP sounded like it would pay off. I went back after my first reservation and found that the same car, same set up was 20,000 Y cheaper (was 153,000 Y)for some reason so cancelled/switched to that. So make sure everyone to keep checking on the rates...

I was considering doing the Yamato (Black Cat) luggage service for our skis from Narita to Chitose, sounds like I will have to investigate a different pick up.

Stoke Level is getting HIGH reading all your guys reports, and thanks for all the BETA.

Why all the need to use a luggage service? Flying domestic or something? Flying International gets skis another a check bag to Chitose with no additional fee. Funny seeing half this thread dedicated to logistics.

Just wrapped up 2 weeks. Toured 8 of 12 days, rode chairs and Furano and Asahidake. Niseko doesn’t seem worth it anymore and the good terrain and Kiroro isn’t lift accessed. Had multiple 1m dumps towards the end of our trip.

We booked through Expedia(Avis) and got a Crosstrek with snow tires for $90/day. Didn’t ask for anything special ahead of time. All rentals there look capable of handling the difficult conditions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46857528241_25f16e7097_o.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1,008.1 KB 
ID:	266199

Name:	IMG_3726.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	236.9 KB 
ID:	266200

The stoke is rising! Flying out in 16 days. Hitting Furano first, then Asahidake and we'll go from there. I've been checking the forecasts for the areas the last few days, and I was getting a bit worried as they showed no snow at all. But I see now I had no reason to!

One of my deeper days this week was a report of 0 cm. Not sure what's up with the snow reporting lol

Yes, don’t believe the forecasting or the base snowfall totals. Often we’d have 2” on the car in the morning but 1-2’ in the mountains. Same goes for wind. We saw calm winds in the mountains while valley was getting wind, especially Furano area. Make sure you check out the onsens from Asahidake-South. The real highlight of the trip: ski+onsen

Luggage transport was important because we spent a week sightseeing first. Ski bags on the trains would have been a PITA if even possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Luggage transport was important because we spent a week sightseeing first. Ski bags on the trains would have been a PITA if even possible.
    Good to know, had me wondering if I was missing something before our trip

Quote Originally Posted by benk View Post
    Yes, don’t believe the forecasting or the base snowfall totals. Often we’d have 2” on the car in the morning but 1-2’ in the mountains.

The real highlight of the trip: ski+onsen
    Shhh.

Why all the need to use a luggage service? Flying domestic or something? Flying International gets skis another a check bag to Chitose with no additional fee. Funny seeing half this thread dedicated to logistics.

Just wrapped up 2 weeks. Toured 8 of 12 days, rode chairs and Furano and Asahidake. Niseko doesn’t seem worth it anymore and the good terrain and Kiroro isn’t lift accessed. Had multiple 1m dumps towards the end of our trip.

We booked through Expedia(Avis) and got a Crosstrek with snow tires for $90/day. Didn’t ask for anything special ahead of time. All rentals there look capable of handling the difficult conditions.

Name:	46857528241_25f16e7097_o.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1,008.1 KB 
ID:	266199

Name:	IMG_3726.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	236.9 KB 
ID:	266200
    Fukn'A. Wow. Great shots.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    One of my deeper days this week was a report of 0 cm. Not sure what's up with the snow reporting lol
    This. Ignore weather forecasts. Never seen anything like it.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Is that second one AK face? Looks amazingly steep for Hokkaido. Great shots.
    Edit: also your photography page in your signature isnt working.

Thought I'd share how Kiroro was skiing yesterday. Pretty good for inbounds action.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    This is a real bummer. Love that place.
    Neckbeard, a somewhat ex-mag, who guides in Hakuba has been writing a bunch of stuff about the over selling of backcountry guides. All fighting over making money, providing poor experiences for guests. Check out his fb page Mountain Life Backcountry Guiding. Lots of warning signs from him.
    I believe D. I see tons of ads about Hakuba and lots more trips advertised going there.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Thanks for not ripping into me, this is a long thread haha I’ve now put a google doc together to keep it sorted

Post the google doc after you're done!