Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Thanks for the info. Did you pre-arrange your Black Cat service or can you just do that at the airport?
    I haven't arranged anything yet. From what I can tell, it's doable on site at the airport. The forms are in Japanese but I found sites online showing what to fill in and where, in English. I need to find that again and print it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Agree with the Jetstar recommendation. That's who I flew on as well and the ski bag was not a big deal.

On cell phone, Tmobile also offers free data internationally. Both them and Fi are not on contracts, so you can just sign up for the time you are going to be there. Fi only works with a limited number of Android phones, so iPhone users can't plan on that.

Fi works with iPhone now FYI.

Winter seems to be off to a slow start on Hokkaido thus far. Am I nuts/overthinking it to be considering booking something else for the first 2wks of Jan?

There is wifi everywhere in Japan, buses, trains, cafeterias.
    Also for canadians cell providers like rogers have a international plan and cost me $50 for the month.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Fi works with iPhone now FYI.

Winter seems to be off to a slow start on Hokkaido thus far. Am I nuts/overthinking it to be considering booking something else for the first 2wks of Jan?
    always a slow start there. would be worried if it was xmas and looking like that. maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I haven't arranged anything yet. From what I can tell, it's doable on site at the airport. The forms are in Japanese but I found sites online showing what to fill in and where, in English. I need to find that again and print it out.
    yeah you just rock up at the airport and do it.
    i get the form backwards every time, but my luggage still arrives

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Agree with the Jetstar recommendation. That's who I flew on as well and the ski bag was not a big deal.

On cell phone, Tmobile also offers free data internationally. Both them and Fi are not on contracts, so you can just sign up for the time you are going to be there. Fi only works with a limited number of Android phones, so iPhone users can't plan on that.
    you can rent a phone or rent a wifi pocket router and carry it around everywhere with you, but they seem expensive in comparison to a sim card.
    $20-40 for a prepaid japanese sim card, available at things like Lawson and Seicomart convenience stores inside the airport. Takes about 15 minutes to set it up if its your first time.
    recommend one using NTT's network for better coverage in the mountains, not Softbank. I use iijmio.

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    There is wifi everywhere in Japan, buses, trains, cafeterias.
    Also for canadians cell providers like rogers have a international plan and cost me $50 for the month.
    I can't think of any wifi on any bus or train out here, maybe in central Sapporo tho.
    nor at any ski resort other than a few spots in Niseko. and the wifi on the hill in Niseko runs at dialup speed.
    did you buy a wifi router and forget you had it with you? :P

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    always a slow start there. would be worried if it was xmas and looking like that. maybe...
    +1
    half the stores and restaurants arent even open yet its soo early.
    raining yesterday and today, it sucks, feels like we're almost back to grass! however two days ago i was lapping foot deep untouched pow until i couldn't stand up anymore, need to build up my ski legs.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Last season was exceptional not only for the quantity and quality of snow, but also for the lack of rain events at village level.

Most seasons there is rain top to bottom sometime in December after snow is lying on the ground and the lifts are spinning.

It's a bummer but it's VERY shortlived.

I wouldn't worry about January. There will be powder on Hokkaido. It may not be where you are if you're not prepared to travel.

But it will be there. And it will be lift served.

Jetstar Customers - prepay for luggage in both directions! I fucked it up and only paid for one way, baggage on the way back was more than the roundtrip ticket from Tokyo.

i skied Niseko last year and it was damn fun, a few days of storm skiing in deep powder then three days of clear, that was lift assisted touring off the back side of the volcano (annapurna) that the four Niskeo resorts is on and was a lot of fun, nothing steep but fun. I grabbed a few trail maps for the purpose of sending them to anyone heading that way, assuming i can still find them :-) I'm happy to stick them in the mail.
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Will be doing a whiteroom tour in central hokkaido 1/16-26..after I was thinking of going solo I ended up getting my parents and some family friends interested, and they chose the guided route as opposed to me "guiding" them (based on info in this thread). We'll have 6, so will get our own guide for skiing. Should be good!

My flight out of Haneda isn't until 1/31, so trying to figure out what to do with my last 4-5 days..either flight back to Honshu for more Tokyo and/or Osaka/Kyoto time, or stay on Hokkaido, base myself somewhere else (Otaru?) and ski solo for a few days. Don't really want to deal with renting a car.

Anyone gonna be around to ski 27-30 of January and want to ski somewhere kind of close to Sapporo? Or should I just go and do some sightseeing...