Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and suggest that marijuana smokers with emphysema probably tend to also have other factors working against them like cigarettes, workplace hazards etc. etc.

A quick search doesn't find any epidemiological support for your position that I can find. But it was a quick search I'll give you that.
    Looks like research is ongoing but American Lung Association certainly cautions against it. http://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smo...ng-health.html

I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and suggest that marijuana smokers with emphysema probably tend to also have other factors working against them like cigarettes, workplace hazards etc. etc.

A quick search doesn't find any epidemiological support for your position that I can find. But it was a quick search I'll give you that.
    I will say that there is little research on long term effects on marijuana use because, well, it's illegal, but think of it this way... What happens when you do not wax your bases, they become brittle and they do not glide smoothly. Inhaling extremely hot smoke and passing it over delicate tissue will dry it out and make it brittle. Over time the lungs remain dry and stop exchanging oxygen and carbon dioxide. Very basic but you get the point.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Ski bases are made of lungs?

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Ski bases are made of lungs?
    Yes and the breathe pow!

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Looks like research is ongoing but American Lung Association certainly cautions against it. http://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smo...ng-health.html
    I note the complete lack of any kind of number in that article. Which makes me wonder a bit.

It would be crazy to posit that inhaling burning hot smoke is beneficial or even harmless. But I don't think it's crazy to say that it's <probably> less of an issue, for various reasons, than our friend prs would have it.

And, well, fluoro wax can kill you but a joint probably won't.

Well fluoro wax can kill you and a joint probably won't.
    If it was just a joint (one) there wouldn't be an issue. Most smoke way more than one. And yes most drink more than one beer/wine/shot which is equally as harmful over time, myself included. Just bringing up the hypocrisy of the marijuana movement and the "health benefits" of pot.

I note the complete lack of any kind of number in that article. Which makes me wonder a bit.

It would be crazy to posit that inhaling burning hot smoke is beneficial or even harmless. But I don't think it's crazy to say that it's <probably> less of an issue, for various reasons, than our friend prs would have it.
    His supposition isn't supported by thorough research but your's isn't either. Fact is, there isn't enough research to commit beyond hypothesis. However, we all/most, anyway, do things that aren't good for us. I don't smoke anything (used to but quit both cigs and pot over thirty years ago) but I like beer. Not alcoholic levels of beer but, I do like beer. But it's my choice of vice and yours is yours. I don't care what others do, knowing that it's a free country, we all live in glass houses, and I don't want others dictating (or shaming) me into their ideal behavior. So, go for what sets you free! No criticism from me.

IMO the chemicals in tobacco and the filters are doing most of the long term harm. I know that Tar is another huge factor but adding chemicals to speed up the burning and fibers in the filter is a bad mix.
    Weed that is natural doesn't have a triple mix of toxins. I don't think it comes close to today's cigarettes.

@Goldmember: Hey, Willie Nelson!

Look we all try to find some sort of justification for our vices. A glass of red wine helps the heart!

I'm well aware of that and not making the case that smoking weed is good for you. I'm simply saying that I know a lot of healthy old stoners and that I think the agenda-driven "data" on the subject needs those quotation marks. It's not data.

And the prohibition on studying marijuana because of its Schedule 1 classification is not a factor in the lack of data. Studying something from an epidemiological perspective is, and has always been, completely kosher. No issues <except funding>. Why is there no funding? You think about that and get back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    If it was just a joint (one) there wouldn't be an issue. Most smoke way more than one. And yes most drink more than one beer/wine/shot which is equally as harmful over time, myself included. Just bringing up the hypocrisy of the marijuana movement and the "health benefits" of pot.
    The main benefit is that stoned people tend to drink less. But that's big. Alcohol is the devil. I still drink it, but I know my enemy. Sirshred said something on the exact same lines many posts ago in this thread and he was correct.

A lesser man than me - one with less character and restraint - would insult your handling of this issue, and allude to the possibility that other failings on a personal level guide your hatred of cannabis.

Iceman - I think you took my post wrong. We all know that not participating in any of these activities is probably healthier than doing so. I have no beef with people smoking pot or even cigarettes, for that matter. It's their choice and I certainly don't criticize them for it so long as I don't have to be around it (the smell of either is annoying to me). I'm a 'live and let live' guy. I have a number of friends who smoke pot, even more than I knew before it became legal in WA. It doesn't bother me in the least. What I don't care for is people condemning my activities while justifying their own and I'm not doing that to you. Peace, bro!

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    A lesser man than me - one with less character and restraint - would insult your handling of this issue, and allude to the possibility that other failings on a personal level guide your hatred of cannabis.
    Good thing your not a lesser man then

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Iceman - I think you took my post wrong. We all know that not participating in any of these activities is probably healthier than doing so. I have no beef with people smoking pot or even cigarettes, for that matter. It's their choice and I certainly don't criticize them for it so long as I don't have to be around it (the smell of either is annoying to me). I'm a 'live and let live' guy. I have a number of friends who smoke pot, even more than I knew before it became legal in WA. It doesn't bother me in the least. What I don't care for is people condemning my activities while justifying their own and I'm not doing that to you. Peace, bro!
    I am often accused of being pissed when all I'm doing is making my point clearly and directly. I write clearly. People kinda freak out at that, but there's no harm intended. We good!

The main benefit is that stoned people tend to drink less. But that's big. Alcohol is the devil. I still drink it, but I know my enemy. Sirshred said something on the exact same lines many posts ago in this thread and he was correct.
    You are correct, the devil you know. I too still drink and will continue to do so. I haven't smoked anything since the early 90s and that's my choice, not trying to tell people to live any specific way, no one really gives a shit about anything anyway so have fun. Opinions are like asshole and we all have one

Good thing your not a lesser man then
    ha. He does make me wonder.

ha. He does make me wonder.
    We should meet at the Cask and Pig for beers and discuss further.

You are correct, the devil you know. I too still drink and will continue to do so. I haven't smoked anything since the early 90s and that's my choice, not trying to tell people to live any specific way, no one really gives a shit about anything anyway so have fun. Opinions are like asshole and we all have one
    Well you were a little high-horsey early in the thread so I felt called to try to knock you off it if i could. We have no real issue, we more or less agree.

From what I've read, respiratory disease like emphysema is about the upper bound of risks from cannabis smoking. Not good, but a far cry from that of cigarettes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    From what I've read, respiratory disease like emphysema is about the upper bound of risks from cannabis smoking. Not good, but a far cry from that of cigarettes.
    I agree, for now. We are in the beginning stages of legalized marijuana use which, as it becomes more readily available and legal in more states, will have more wide spread longer term effects on health. Let's be honest, if you couldn't get high off pot, no one would be pushing to have it legalized. There is a dramatic movement to ban cigarettes/tabacco products in this country that it seems a little odd to me that marijuana is becoming more available.

Well a counterpoint to that is that edibles and vape carts (perhaps they're not ideal but at least there's no combustion) are much more available in a legalized environment. People don't want to SMOKE dope, they want to BE stoned.

Well you were a little high-horsey early in the thread so I felt called to try to knock you off it if i could. We have no real issue, we more or less agree.
    We should meet at the Cask and Pig for beers and discuss further.

See above - serious offer

Well a counterpoint to that is that edibles and vape carts (perhaps they're not ideal but at least there's no combustion) are much more available in a legalized environment. People don't want to SMOKE dope, they want to BE stoned.

sorry for the all caps, italics seemed faggy