AK: quest for (not) crust

A flash sale on Delta Skymiles tickets to Anchorage prompted 4 of us from Utah to make the journey. Myself, Criscam, phatfreeheeler and non-mag Scott. A discussion on the plane led to the question: if you could have one of the following, which would it be; sun, stability, or soft snow? We added one additional S, sastrugi, which meant we could have 2 of the 4. Photos not in any particular order.

Rented a truck that would haul gear for 4 and set out for the passes. 1st stop was Turnagain Pass, where the tailgate would become much needed real estate to drink beer and stare at the terrain, wondering what could have been without 3 days of strong north winds before we arrived:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03782.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	230730

The terrain at Turnagain was amazing but it was basically unskiable on all aspects. Travel was fast and we did climb up wolverine peak for some views:

Name:	DSC03740.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	230731

We heard that Hatcher Pass was doing a little better, but the wind there had created slides that covered the road, so we ended up at Turnagain for another day. We did get to Hatcher Pass on the third day and saw the culprit:

Name:	DSC03791.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	230732

We did a couple of laps off Marmot Peak the first day at Hatcher, super quick access from the road gets you into some cool ski terrain:

Name:	DSC03857.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	230733

Criscam:

Name:	DSC04072.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	230734

The next day back at Hatcher, we found the best snow of the trip, behind some random peak that I've already forgot the name of. We were lucky that we had almost wind free and blue skies for the whole trip, nearly 30 degrees up high:

Name:	DSC04259.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	945.9 KB 
ID:	230735

We put in a skin track on the moraine and lapped this zone at least 4 times. I learned that you need a long lens to shoot from safe zones in AK, phatfreeheeler:

Name:	DSC04324.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	529.9 KB 
ID:	230736

Handed off the camera for a run or two, photo of me:

Name:	DSC04553.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	230737

From the peak you could see Denali over 100 miles away. If you look closely you can see a plane in the photo near the center:

Name:	DSC04599.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	883.0 KB 
ID:	230738

Again, zoomed in and cropped, safe zones make for small skiers, Scott:

Name:	DSC04660.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	765.3 KB 
ID:	230739

Ridge walks in that weather were amazing:

Name:	DSC04743.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	926.1 KB 
ID:	230740

Crossing the Valley of Sin on a big ridge walk/peak link-up day, fast travel and perfect weather:

Name:	DSC04808.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	762.8 KB 
ID:	230741

So although we didn't have the avy or snow conditions to ski chest deep blower on 50 degree spines, AK treated us just fine. I think we'll be back to explore a little further from the beaten path.

Well, that was pretty nice, in spite of this:
    The terrain at Turnagain was amazing but it was basically unskiable on all aspects.
    But that's how it goes sometimes when you travel for adventure - you don't always manage to nail good conditions. At least the sun was shining and it wasn't bitterly cold. I really liked that pic of Denali.

AK: quest for (not) crust

Nice! Stayed safe, drank beer outside and baked in the goggle tans. Can’t complain about that.

Nice pics. and yeah, the Denali one is spectacular.

people come up here with some huge expectations. Their entire trip is worthless unless they get the best day of their life photo to post somewhere. Good on you for heading over to Hatcher and getting what was available. I think skiing the Tour de Pass in good conditions is a pretty fine day. You got the idea stay longer and explore more.
    off your knees Louie

Nice dude. I've had some fun days in less-than-ideal conditions.

Great shots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post

Name:	DSC03857.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	230733
    Great photo. Nothing wrong with taking your time getting to know a new area. You can always go back.

Nice work, gents. Thanks for sharing. Well overdue for a UT trip to ski w ya’ll. Next year????

Looks to me like you found plenty of fun turns to make it more than worthwhile.
    Uno mas

Nice!

Fantastic photos!

Things have been pretty fantastic in the North Chugach this year!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9199.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	233262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9199.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	233262
    "I'm looking pretty good, don't you think?" - the other says "watching you ski is like watching a retarded monkey rollerblade on a gravel road"

www.majesticheliski.com

What’s the best month for Ak pow? Never been and hoping to hit some storms.