Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Bibby mount point advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    You guys who like the 190 Bibby for charging open terrain.. why do you prefer it over more directional skis?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I’ve yet to get on a pair of billygoats so keep that in mind but I like the 190 Bibby’s due to their versatility over more directional skis. I rarely ski one type of terrain in a day bouncing around from big open terrain to tight trees and the 190s handle it all well. Some of the more directional chargers become a burden in the trees and I really hate having to dial it back in soft snow. I also think if I was more your size, I might want something more directional.

I have heard the 190 is much more ski than the 184 ( have hand fiddled 184s, but never skied). I wouldn’t be too concerned unless your 140lbs. When comparing hand flexes of 184 and 190 Bibby, I remember the 190 being a huge step up (or two!). When I compare the 186 Kartel to 191 Kartel, their isn’t nearly as much of a jump up in burl factor for the bigger ski (besides actual length).

Good input, thanks. I wasn't really giving it a second thought until I saw some of the comments on this thread. I have a little bit of topsheet work to do on them and have been waiting for it to warm up outside enough to give them a light sanding, touch up the tip/tail with epoxy where worn down, and hit them with some USC spray max. Probably won't ski them til next year, but might get them out this year given our phenomenal snowpack in MT.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    I agree with a lot of what betelgeuse said, but the 190 bibby is not hard to ski. It pivots easily and is quite accesible.
    The 190 is not the most jibby ski as it is quite heavy, but the swingweight is not bad. The 184 bibby is very easy to ski and no one should be afraid of it, great jib ski.

I would compare the 190 bibby to the 186 k116.
    The main difference between them is the bibby has a higher speed limit in chop but is nowhere near as good in deep snow. I am actually suprised at how bad it is compared to other skis this wide. The k116 is miles more surfy.

A k116 with 22oz fiberglass and extra carbon would be better than the bibby in every way.

I have owned/skied almost all the top “playfull chargers” and the bibby shares the top spot with the on3p jeffrey 114(had the 22oz fiberglass vs 19oz and was a stronger ski). It’s one of the best resort skis out there.
    Blistergear compared the 184 Bibby to 186 Kartel 116. I find the 186 K116 to be a much more forgiving ski than 190 Bibby, more like a 185 JJ than the big Bibby. But the 186 Kartel has much more backbone than JJ obviously. Similarly easy to ski though.

I didn’t get along with Jeffrey 114 as much as I do K116.. maybe I just dont like playful chargers? I like playful skis, and I like charging skis, but possibly not skis that blend the two styles together too much??

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Skier206 View Post
    I find the 184s super playful considering that they can charge reasonable well.
    Exactly what I am hoping for!

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Skier206 View Post
    I’ve yet to get on a pair of billygoats so keep that in mind but I like the 190 Bibby’s due to their versatility over more directional skis. I rarely ski one type of terrain in a day bouncing around from big open terrain to tight trees and the 190s handle it all well. Some of the more directional chargers become a burden in the trees and I really hate having to dial it back in soft snow. I also think if I was more your size, I might want something more directional.

I can understand that. And the more directional skis, with shorter turn radii (that can handle trees well), do not perform long radius turns as well as Bibbys..

You should try 189 Billy Goats. More forgiving, yet faster in soft stuff. More directional, and a long turn radius, but pivots better in trees with RES. Only place I liked the Bibby better was on hardpack.

Blistergear compared the 184 Bibby to 186 Kartel 116. I find the 186 K116 to be a much more forgiving ski than 190 Bibby, more like a 185 JJ than the big Bibby. But the 186 Kartel has much more backbone than JJ obviously. Similarly easy to ski though.

I didn’t get along with Jeffrey 114 as much as I do K116.. maybe I just dont like playful chargers? I like playful skis, and I like charging skis, but possibly not skis that blend the two styles together too much??

But they also said the 184 was lighter and quicker than the 186. Unfortunately the 184 feels like a shorter ski than the 186(moment also measures small with the 184 being more like 182).

There must have been something up with the 114 you were on. The k116 and 114 have a super similar in feel, with the 114 being a bit more edgy on hardpack and 116 feeling looser in fresh.

I rode the 190 for a while, but the Billy goat for me was superior everywhere but hardpack. For a 116-118mm ski, I think the goat has WAY more upside. But I ride in the PNW with weird heavy snow and that’s not applicable for everyone. YMMV. I liked it. But the goat was the better choice for me. Same speed limit, BG better in tight spaces, and I thought way better in untracked pow. Both do really well in chop.

My sense of the Kartel 116 is that it’s basically a more forgiving bibby with equal hardpack performance and improved pow performance.

The thing the bibby and Kartel have on firm snow is a normal ish sidecut. You can rail the tips and get predictable behavior on firm snow, can’t really do that with the RES.

If I was a quiver of one player in the PNW, Kartel 116 and bibby would both be on the short list. I like the Billy goat so much though I might be ok with just using those.

But the Kartel would the most versatile and easiest to ski, imo.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

I can understand that. And the more directional skis, with shorter turn radii (that can handle trees well), do not perform long radius turns as well as Bibbys..

You should try 189 Billy Goats. More forgiving, yet faster in soft stuff. More directional, and a long turn radius, but pivots better in trees with RES. Only place I liked the Bibby better was on hardpack.

Definitely need to get on a pair. Hopefully next season sometime.

Bibby mount point advice.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    But they also said the 184 was lighter and quicker than the 186. Unfortunately the 184 feels like a shorter ski than the 186(moment also measures small with the 184 being more like 182).

There must have been something up with the 114 you were on. The k116 and 114 have a super similar in feel, with the 114 being a bit more edgy on hardpack and 116 feeling looser in fresh.
    I dont have a blister deep dive membership. Nor have I skied the 184. I gathered from the 186 Kartel 116 review and Blisters 1-2-3 ski quiver awards, that the 184 bibby was similar in speed limit, and the deathwish right behind. I probably read into it too much.

I liked the 188 PBJs significantly more than bibbys. But still didnt quite “love” them. I thought they were good firm snow skis to get loose with while charging. I couldn’t get nearly as loose with the 190 Bibbys in soft snow, as I can with other similar skis.

186 Kartels for me are easier going skis than Bibbys. I could be on the 191 Kartels no doubt, but the smaller length is better for me “trying” to jib around and get super slashy and sidewayz. At 186.5cm true length, with On3p’s damp core layup and 2350-2400 g/ski, they are plenty stable. To me, Kartels feel like damper JJs or Shreditor 112s, whereas 190 Bibbys felt like lighter weight, less poppy 191 Wrens, with turned up tails and -6 mount points that didnt feel right for charging or playing (for me).

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

At 6'6 260#, would you guys mount on the line? Have been thinking about -1 or -2, but don't want to make it too directional and tough to turn in tight spaces.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by svt View Post
    At 6'6 260#, would you guys mount on the line? Have been thinking about -1 or -2, but don't want to make it too directional and tough to turn in tight spaces.

Thanks
    I mounted my 190 Bibby's on the line and if I could do it all over again, I'd mount back 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by VON View Post
    I mounted my 190 Bibby's on the line and if I could do it all over again, I'd mount back 1.5
    I have the 184s and 190s. The 184 is mounted about 0.5cm in front of recommended, the 190 on the recommended line. The 184s ski quick but also can straight line anything. They don’t have as much support in deep pow to be my powder ski (5’11 and 185lbs), but are great in anything <12inches. The 190’s require a lot more input, but are very supportive on deep pow days. They really can blow through anything. Once you get going they are very quick, it just requires a lot more speed to get them to feel like the 184s. I might mount the 190s a little forward if you want a more playful pow ski. Would not mount the 184 any more forward than recommended.

Just another data point. I have skied all moments on the line in the past and have been happy. On my 184 bibby tours decided -1 of rec so (-7) and did not love them there. remounted at +1 or (-5) and much quicker edge to edge and much happier but definitely require a centered stance.

I have a pair of the 15/16 new (old) new shape bibbys, 190 and I'm about 160lbs with gear and like to charge...any recommendations for mount? Not sure if I'll fit another on the line, deciding forward or backward...

I'm not sure about the hate of this version. They look cool to me, all that matters hey

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Wow. My 190, ‘17/‘18’s are mounted on the line and are 100% living up to the hype. Agile and precise AF in tight trees yet can handle all kinds of funky junk at ludicrous speed. Magic combo of super-capable-yet-do-not-punish-mistakes. My most recent day on them was 4-6” of fresh on top of 3D frozen slush, and they blew my mind with how easily they slayed it.

I’m finding them a very energy-efficient ride (do not beat me up). Felt like I was used to them in like 1/2 a run but turns out I wasn’t - turns out it took a few days to figure out just how much faster i could easily go in less-than-ideal conditions. Yep...gush gush: one of the best skis I’ve been on.

Maybe check your tune?
    This is how my OG 12/13 190 Bibby feel. I was used to directional skis mounted farther back and it took a few days for me to figure them out. Groomers felt great right away but snow >12" deep was tricky to find fore/aft balance. Just needed to ski faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiwurrel View Post
    I have a pair of the 15/16 new (old) new shape bibbys, 190 and I'm about 160lbs with gear and like to charge...any recommendations for mount? Not sure if I'll fit another on the line, deciding forward or backward...

I'm not sure about the hate of this version. They look cool to me, all that matters hey
    The line on mine are -6, I'd mount there if it fits. Steep and deep, tight trees, open groomers, chopped-up junk... they are so much fun.
    6' 1" 175 What other skis do you like?

Thanks for the advice, mounted on the line, maybe 1 back. Awesome daily driver for a hill where it snows. I wanted something like a playful charger lol. Have been skiing head boneshakers, dynastar xxl, blizzard zeus. These held up alright, def not quite the power underneath when you feel it plowing thru stuff but is able to smear nicely and charge pow for sure. V stoked