Best workout app?

Just started a new gig that has a full gym in the building. I fell off the CrossFit train a few years ago due to shoulder injuries, but I’m motivated to get back to lifting at my own pace.

I like Strava for my bike riding but I need something to help me in the gym.
    Can anyone recommend a good app that features good workouts ? Looking for an app that ramps up the difficulty over time. Suggestions ?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Does it have to be an app? Starting Strength has a good program. They may have an app too. I just use a notebook to track my workouts. Mountain Tactical has good programs as well but not sure they have an app.

Apps work the best for a sustained effort tracking. That being said, Samsung Health has a pretty long list of fitness tracking- things like you would do in a gym or fitness workout such as crunches, deadlift, bench press, leg curls, leg presses, and more etc. But of course you would have to turn each of the various items on and then off while doing your sets and I would not have the patience to being doing all that. I track some cycling, steps, running, and now the new rowing machines, etc. that are more than just 10 or 15 minutes in length and call it good.

What do you want to train for?

Doesn’t have to be an app I guess, just thought it might be cool to fire up a new workout daily with a VR coach (if such a thing exists). I’m training to get back into good shape, build some lean muscle and drop some unwanted lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I’m training to get back into good shape, build some lean muscle and drop some unwanted lbs.
    Do you have any athletic goals or do you just want to look good naked? Nothing wrong with either, but training will be very different. Doing some HIIT and lifting won't work well if you want endurance. Lifting heavy and eating a lot won't make you look trim but you'll get strong.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I use myfitnesspal to track my food and use Gym Life app from here for my workouts. Best thing I have ever used. Easy, simple and to the point. If you want a decent result you should monitor your nutrition as well
    Last edited by rayshow55; 11-15-2019 at 09:58 AM.

run pretty much any 5x5 program in your gym, and then do you mountain hobbies for "cardio" 2-3 times per week. Basically, focus on strength in the gym, and your cardio/skill training outside in the mountains. If you need a videogame experience to workout in a gym, you wont be working out in a gym for long anyways, so this is all moot.

https://stronglifts.com/

I use the app Fitbod. The name of the app is terrible, but it’s ok. Can choose what you want your goal to be such as endurance or strength etc. incorporates some trx and other things such as box jumps, burpees etc. it generates the workouts for me and I just follow them. I use strava for cycling and other cardio

And hell, didn’t realize this thread was as old as it was

What do you want to train for actually?

Spotify or Apple music

What I’ve been using successfully for many years:
    MyFitnessPal - nutrition + body weight tracking
    GymBook - tracking workouts in gym
    Spotify + Apple Podcasts - music and ski podcasts while working out