Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Beaver wranglin?

I recently had a beaver move in to the creek in my backyard. Though I really would like to have a little beaver buddy hanging out, there just aren’t enough resources for the him to live a fruitful life back there.

Does anyone have any experience trapping and relocating beavers?

A friend of a friend, who has had some experience with beavers, recommends not trying to actively move him and just fencing off the trees I care about and he’ll eventually move on. There’s a lot of trees and that’s a lot of fencing and work. There’s also a fair amount of power lines that might get hit if he fells some of the trees I don’t care about.

Thoughts? Jokes?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2842.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	569.3 KB 
ID:	230568

Maybe your backyard is his front yard?

Beaver wranglin?

It’s true.
    However, I live on the east bench of SLC on Emigration Creek.
    I think this guy will have a better life up in the hills a bit. I’m thinking East Canyon Creek/Jeremy Ranch Road.

He’s not gonna move up creek, and down the creek would be doomsday for the little fella.

i think you need a permit to live catch and release - i believe that is just a general rule in every state - your rules may vary

might be easier to get permission to shoot it

found on the googles:
    Beaver in Utah are considered furbearers and are classified as protected wildlife. Beaver can be taken with a license in an annual trapping season. The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources (UDWR) is responsible for their management. Beavers can be taken from a site of conflict at any time with a special permit from UDWR.

Though probably true, that didn’t stop me from buying a Haveaheart trap down at the IFA.

If you wanna have your way with a beaver buy it dinner first

We have this problem along the river in downtown Missoula. Wish they would relocate them. They fenced off some of the trees, but fuck, the destroyed a lot. Were there just no cottonwoods along rivers in the old days?
    I guess it got bad because one Spring, a lot of them got washed down to the same spot.
    There's probably a whole family in there you have to move.
    GL
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

"Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

A beaver is just a rodent with a good publicist, be careful of them teeth, I suggest the shoot n release method

Localy Steve Yelich was attacked by a beaver, its canada eh so he fought it off with the hockey stick he used as a cain
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Utah administrative code R657-11-22.

I would call Utah DNR for advice/clarification questions.

Trapping and relocation probably needs special permissions or else what is to stop you from just making the animal some other property owners problem now. Hunting in season or permit for trapping and killing would probably under most state game laws the better and easier option.

Around here they run chicken wire right around the big cottonwoods and it seems keep the little bastards at bay. No fence posts or anything like that. Just chicken wire loosely ringing the trunk from the ground to about 2' up.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post

Name:	IMG_2842.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	569.3 KB 
ID:	230568
    Nice beaver

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Though probably true, that didn’t stop me from buying a Haveaheart trap down at the IFA.

A Connibear 330 set in the right place will snap a beaver's neck while it holds its head under water. Won't mangle the pelts either.
    About 1/2 dozen in the right places [below slides and lodge entrances etc] will eliminate your beaver problem before you need ditching dynamite and a goddamned Federal permit.

Name:	Image1522519638.164935.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	292.5 KB 
ID:	230572

Emi creek pops out from a long culvert tunnel right behind my house. There is a little pond then shallow creek down hill towards Westminster.
    He probably just rode the flow downhill from the canyon during the past few weeks of weather.
    He’s evicted the rats from the brush pile/rootball on the right side of the pic. So that’s a plus.
    DNR will just kill the little buddy, I’m really trying avoid that.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    A beaver is just a rodent with a good publicist, be careful of them teeth, I suggest the shoot n release method

Localy Steve Yelich was attacked by a beaver, its canada eh so he fought it off with the hockey stick he used as a cain
    The was brilliantly explained

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Nice beaver
    Almost forgot

Have you tried just being reasonable with the beaver?

I was referencing the applicable statute for you to pursue nuisance trapping/relocation, not just calling UDWR to come out and deal with it. (inadvertantly typed DNR earlier)

Name:	Image1522519638.164935.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	292.5 KB 
ID:	230572

Emi creek pops out from a long culvert tunnel right behind my house. There is a little pond then shallow creek down hill towards Westminster.
    He probably just rode the flow downhill from the canyon during the past few weeks of weather.
    He’s evicted the rats from the brush pile/rootball on the right side of the pic. So that’s a plus.
    He is going to modify that habitat so he can live there, with a family... and survive next winter. That little pond is going to turn into a big pond. You either turn him into a hat now, or wait until he floods your property and you have to turn his whole family into hats.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Shoot, shovel, & shut up.

As others have said, they're rodents, and he is not alone, nor will it be the last one looking at your neighbourhood with improvement in its mind if there is a population either up or downstream of you. Pelt is best right about now locally (mid Mar to early Apr when the ice starts to rot a bit), but one beaver isn't worth the effort unless you want it's pelt for sentimental reasons.

Or protect the important trees (conifer and decid) with hardware cloth and hope for the best, but I assure you it's patience and determination with exceed yours.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    Shoot, shovel, & shut up.

Yep. The nearsighted little fucker's doing a design survey right now. He's no doubt already selected a dam seat and has a fair idea how the local hydrology's gonna affect his proposed scope of work. He'll capitulate quantities, balance mass, and be marshaling materials and commencing clearing and grubbing before he even has his final impoundment surface elevation and detention pond and flume schema worked out.
    He's lookin' to flood the maximum amount of 2-4" wood, so he can log it easier. He gets paid by the stick. The ones he can't eat he'll freight downstream, to increase his wealth.
    It's an open-ended cost-plus job, and Beaver Construction won't be deterred.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Have you tried just being reasonable with the beaver?
    I always give reasonable consideration to the beaver

hat city

Then your obligations are fulfilled, are they not? Time for him to pay rent or fuck off and spread l.guardia in some nice woody watershed in BVRHVN.

be careful.

"Man tries to take photo of beaver; it kills him"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...s-man/2074145/
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !