Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dear 4FRNT: 189 Devastator Please?

The jump between 184 and 194 is massive. I think you'd have a huge winner on your hands with the in between size.

Anyone else?

Agree. I would use a 189 as a daily driver... I have 194’s in my cart before but I alwyas get worried about what my legs will feel like later afternoon.

How about a limited run of ‘White Room’ 189’s?

193 Praxis MVP fits between those and has a similar personality IMO, I own that and 194 Dev, used to own 184 Dev that definitely lacked some top end stability.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    193 Praxis MVP fits between those and has a similar personality IMO, I own that and 194 Dev, used to own 184 Dev that definitely lacked some top end stability.
    What core does your MVP have? Have you ever skied Moment Bibby or Deathwish?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^whatever stock core was 2-4 years ago- I think Enduro? I can confirm.

Never tried a moment ski. Would love to get my hands on a Garbones/m1

Whatever core was offered earlier- MAP or Enduro, so I think Enduro. I know heavy core wasn’t an option, or veneer. #4 flex no carbon I’m sure of.

I agree. 187 real length with a touch less weight than the 194's would be nasty.

I actually ran into Matt Sterbenz in the Alta parking lot last week and asked him to build this ski. He said they were working on it and acknowledged that the 194 (albeit a a charger in the right time and place) is a bit of a novelty and not an accessible board. He mentioned 189-191 in length. That ski will be sick for sure.
    Go Sox!

I totally disagree. The 194 is SUPER easy to ski. If you have the strength to carry the things from your car to the hill, you can ski them, no problem. If anything, they need a 205 for people over 6'2".

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada29er View Post
    I totally disagree. The 194 is SUPER easy to ski. If you have the strength to carry the things from your car to the hill, you can ski them, no problem. If anything, they need a 205 for people over 6'2".
    Have you skied the 196 Renegade? Any comment about how much work each pair is to ski? I’ve been on the 196 Ren and liked it a lot for soft snow but I couldn’t see hauling that big of a ski on haedpack days through moguls and ETC. I look st the devastator as a ski I would want to be happy on anything that isn’t ice or deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    Have you skied the 196 Renegade? Any comment about how much work each pair is to ski? I’ve been on the 196 Ren and liked it a lot for soft snow but I couldn’t see hauling that big of a ski on haedpack days through moguls and ETC. I look st the devastator as a ski I would want to be happy on anything that isn’t ice or deep.
    I own and love both. Dev is an all-mountain ski, Ren is a powder ski that handles firm pretty well, considering, but not a ski I would use for daily use at a resort.

I’m 5’7’’ 195-200 and I generally approve of this message. The weight is the only thing that is very formidable about these skis. I find them super easy to use but I’ve been on Hoji derived skis for a decade so YMmV

Never skied the 194cm, still own the 184cm Dev but the 186cm Rossi Sickle sees more action in the quiver than the Dev.

The 184cm is really about 181.5cm true length. Coupled with the deeper rocker lines, smaller flat spot under foot, and slightly more forward mount than the Sickle, the 184 Dev feels just a touch short in front of the binding.

But I’m 5’9” and 150lbs, and I can’t see wanting the 194cm for PC/Canyons/Alta. Maybe for nuking fast at Snowbird, but I bet it’d still be too much ski for me.

TLDR: yep, Sterbenz.... build the 189cm Dev!!! I’d buy one right away.

And while we are at it, I’d buy a 187 Hoji with a semi twin tip for backcountry booters and sidecountry right away too.

I know hat for a true tip to tail 191 and change, 2.7 kg ski they are relatively easy to ski. That being said - my guess is the guys at 4frnt could most likely make a formidable/stable ski at 187-189 true tip to tail coming in around 2.4 kg/ ski that would still maintain the devastator legacy and, yes, be more accessible to more skiers.
    Go Sox!

For the record, I love the 194 Dev. I've been skiing them probably over 90% of my days this year, including a week in LCC with new snow almost every day. They work so well in most conditions (exception for full on hard pack) that I have rethink the dozen or so other skis I own.

Pair these with a full on powder ski and a carving ski, and you've covered all your resort bases. But you'll still find yourself on the Devs 90%+ of the time.

If 4FRNT decide to change the Devastator size range to top out at 189 at any point in the future then I'm holding you guys responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    If 4FRNT decide to change the Devastator size range to top out at 189 at any point in the future then I'm holding you guys responsible.
    Im thinking a 189 would just be an addition to the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    I own both (in the 19X sizes) and don't really like either all that much. I can say that the devastator is really easy to ski, much easier than the renegade. I had used the dev for a season or 2 as my every day Utah ski. I didn't hate it but it's just kind of vague and I prefer the on3p wren. The renegade has been in my quiver for a couple of years now but I've probably only skied it 5x. They feel big, heavy, planky and not all that much fun when I take them out. I need to sell those.

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    +1

also... 4FRNT, please make a 206cm Ren and a 196 Raven. thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I had used the dev for a season or 2 as my every day Utah ski. I didn't hate it but it's just kind of vague and I prefer the on3p wren.
    Funny, I have the old 112 Wren, and they're ok, but just kind of dead feeling. No real pop or energy and don't carve as well as the Devs, and less stable overall.

The Devs come alive when you get them up on edge. They're perfectly happy to slarve around bases flat, but pressure the tips and get them on edge where you're using the entire effective length of the ski, and they slice through everything, and are really quick edge to edge for their size.

^x2. I took a ride or two on my 194 Devs and sold my 184 Head Monsters 108, they devs were more versatile, fun, and I think I can ski them even faster than the 184 Monster. Ymmv

Funny, I have the old 112 Wren, and they're ok, but just kind of dead feeling. No real pop or energy and don't carve as well as the Devs, and less stable overall.

The Devs come alive when you get them up on edge. They're perfectly happy to slarve around bases flat, but pressure the tips and get them on edge where you're using the entire effective length of the ski, and they slice through everything, and are really quick edge to edge for their size.
    I just recently got some of those older wren 112s and I agree with what you're saying about them. The ones I really love and I'm trying to find a modern replacement for are the even older 108s. That's what I went back to after a while on the 194 devs.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I just recently got some of those older wren 112s and I agree with what you're saying about them. The ones I really love and I'm trying to find a modern replacement for are the even older 108s. That's what I went back to after a while on the 194 devs.
    The 2010 and 2011 Wrens? I am intrigued by those. A full twin, with minimal taper?

The 2017 and 2018 189 Wren 108s are really lively compared to 191 Wrens. The new rocker profile is maneuverable AF, and the sidecut hooks up better on hardpack, but they still have most of the good ol’ Wren backbone.

2019 Wren is supposed to be stiffer, and slightly shorter turn radius, but same rocker profile I believe.

Yeah, the consensus in the on3p thread is that the ones I have and love are either 9/10 or 10/11s. No one can say for sure since they have a custom top sheet and are getting pretty old at this point. Sorry to derail this 4frnt thread.

Attachment 231459