From Junior Nationals podium to brain injury

This a heartbreaker regarding the son of local friends:

"Wiley’s Story

Our beautiful boy Wiley is fighting hard for his life and health after a fall and traumatic brain injury which occurred in the most benign of settings. On March 24th, 2018, after a great day of skiing with friends in Utah, we went out for a movie. Killing time, waiting for the show to start, we were outside on a pedestrian bridge. There was a low wall on the opposite side that, deceptively, looked to have grass immediately behind. In fact, there was a gap between the grass and bridge that dropped 25 feet to a service road below. Excited and energetic, Wiley lept onto the wall, looking back at us, and dropped to the other side expecting a short and soft landing on grass, as we expected too. Hearing a delayed hit from below, we knew this wasn’t the case.

Frantically, I searched for a way down. When I got to my boy I was sure he was lost to us. I now know that grief. Within five minutes the ambulance was there; ten more and he was at Intermountain Hospital, Level I Trauma Center in Murray, UT. Dr Peter Maughan performed a decompressive craniectomy (removal of a section of skull to allow the brain to swell). There is significant damage to his left brain. Other various fractures and breaks are not of concern, his spine is okay, and bruised lungs will heal. He is fighting hard.

Wiley has always been a determined young man. He is an excellent, Freshman Honor Roll Student at Durango High School. He is sweet, loving and caring toward his friends, family, and teammates, never in serious trouble, focused and attentive (when we pry his nose out of video devices). He has a long and arduous road ahead toward recovery. While he is as well prepared for this journey as anyone could be, the outcome is uncertain. The care at IMH is outstanding. Given the circumstances we couldn’t be in a better place.

We so appreciate your taking an interest in Wiley’s recovery. The love and support that has been flowing from our home community, Durango (and well beyond) is staggering. As hard as this is-and it is the hardest thing we have ever endured- it would be unimaginable without your love, prayers, and positive thoughts for Wiley’s recovery. You are helping us become the warriors needed to fight alongside our precious boy. Thank you. "
    Last edited by Alpinord; 03-31-2018 at 01:12 PM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

ouch. that blows. hope the young shredder recovers well.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

vibes to Wiley

Praying
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Prayers and positive vibes from my family to theirs. Young kids are VERY good at bouncing back in amazing ways.

Sent from my SM-G920V using TGR Forums mobile app

holy cow, I am so sorry, vibes++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Oh man, so sorry. Kids bounce from Neuro insults well, might be a long road though. Maughan is a talented surgeon and it sounds like the intervention was timely.

So many vibes

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Man, tough times. Positive thoughts for your kiddo and your family.

OMG. Love and many sympathetic vibes going out. Jeez.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Sorry to read this, I can't begin to imagine what you and your family must be going through. Hoping for the best possible outcome here. Get well soon Wiley!

Rooting for you Wiley!

Doh! Sorry.
    Looks like in my haste to get on the road I did not clarify:

“This a heartbreaker regarding the son of local friends:”

I fixed initial post. Thanks for the vibes towards Wiley and his family and friends. The kid was pretty impressive on alpine skis, Nordic and cross country running and of course, kayaking.

Avid kayakers may have heard of his dad, Andy Cora and Aunt, Janet Wiley.

Glad to know he is in good hands with lots of positive energy being showered on he and his family.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Here is a shot I took of Wiley (yellow and blue) four years ago when he was dual sporting alpine and Nordic:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1329.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	168.7 KB 
ID:	230581

Nick Unkovskoy was in the lead and is a solid alpine racer, now in Vail. They had a lot of close races.

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

aw hell, Andy from 4CRS? We crossed paths at some races/festivals back 20+ years ago, hell he was a legend then! Let's go Wiley!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    aw hell, Andy from 4CRS? We crossed paths at some races/festivals back 20+ years ago, hell he was a legend then! Let's go Wiley!
    Yes.

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

For anyone interested, here is the Go Fund Me account.

https://www.gofundme.com/5c6oabc

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Update;

This was an encouraging and an interesting perspective from another Durango local who was on a car accident and suffered major head trauma:

"April 6, 2018, 11a

Journal entry by Andy Corra — 8 hours ago

HR 84/ Pulse Ox 98/ BP 118/69/ temp normal/ WBC 15,000 (that’s falling into the better range as infection indicator). Wiley had a good night, according to Alison. Very active, but in a good way. He falls asleep for about 5 minutes, and when awake, moving, moving, moving, but not in an agitated way- antsy, bored, exploring. He is ready (today at least) for more intensive PT, I think. The big concern is for his hurting hisself, whacking his skull- or brain more precisely, where the skull is missing. His hand (left) goes from south to north, rubbing his eyes, where he now has a bit of pink eye- likely from bacteria picked up in the Southern Hemisphere. If we free his hand, one needs to be at his side, on high alert, quick and strong. All of this is good stuff. You can see the fog lifting, lifting. Still not a lot of action on the right. Alison said he was exploring his right arm with left last night. Picking it up, feeling it. Like when an infant discovers her toes and puts them in her mouth as a tangible connection and confirmation that, hey! This is part of me. Each time, a new neural pathway is found, a new exit on the freeway to explore, whether a gentrified neighborhood or scary part of town, mapping out his new future.

Erin Casey, a young woman from Durango who had a TBI several years ago, and is now preparing for her wedding and training for a half marathon, made an enlightening analogy of her recovery. This is second hand, but she said to the effect- “it’s like you take the filing cabinet of your mind, tip it over and spill the files randomly on the floor”. The information is there, but hard to find. With time, you can reorganize. I presume that reorganization can and will be in a new order. Tax info and business plans don’t have to be in the top drawer any longer, right behind dog photos. They can be in a bottom, middle file, in front of guacamole recipes, but no matter. When it’s fiesta time, you may look for recipes in its old spot at first, but then realize the new file location and the guac is as delicious as ever for the party. Right now, the office floor is scattered with files and he is exploring randomly. On can find a lot of interesting information that way that has been hidden away, unexplored for years.

PT just arrived and has had him sitting up and working hard for the past 20 minutes. His HR is staying reasonable, and he is working with that determined look on his face- just as he likes. I’m watching him start to fall asleep upright. A good session. Time to start thinking about next step(s) again. Direct to Craig, intermediate step? Not sure, but thinking"
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com