Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    That makes sense if their coming back to open bank accounts and collect 1000 years of compound interest.
    way more likely than if they were coming back to save us from ourselves, or something

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    way more likely than if they were coming back to save us from ourselves, or something
    If your theory is right they suck at this almost as bad as Jean-Claude Van Damm in Timecop

Well we're not all dead yet, against all odds. I say they're doing fine. Keep it up future dudes!!!

That makes sense if their coming back to open bank accounts and collect 1000 years of compound interest.
    Also bet on sports. They had Loyola going to the final four in their bracket..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Those bastards. They could've texted me, I would've kept it on the dl.

Coming back in time to say "don't invent time travel!"
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Coming back in time to say "don't invent time travel!"
    or A.I.

or A.I.
    Both

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 1214
Size:  131.6 KB

If you see something in the sky that you can't identify ... its a UFO
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

so last night, a series of maybe 20+ objects in a sequence traveling roughly northeast .. just over venus. evening time, maybe 7 or so MST.
    almost looked like satellites but faster and brighter. also, they didn't go all the way to the horizons, just kinda in the middle part of the sky.

I wondered if it was some kind of rocket launch or something but couldn't find any info. didn't even know how to search for it. I don't think it was those weird drone swarms people are seeing, looked like in orbit.

(was I sober? no. but the wife saw it too. was she sober? also no)

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    so last night, a series of maybe 20+ objects in a sequence traveling roughly northeast .. just over venus. evening time, maybe 7 or so MST.
    almost looked like satellites but faster and brighter. also, they didn't go all the way to the horizons, just kinda in the middle part of the sky.

I wondered if it was some kind of rocket launch or something but couldn't find any info. didn't even know how to search for it. I don't think it was those weird drone swarms people are seeing, looked like in orbit.

(was I sober? no. but the wife saw it too. was she sober? also no)
    elon musk's satellite internet:

Quote Originally Posted by f2f View Post
    elon musk's satellite internet:
    holy crap. asked and answered. Thanks.
    No longer UFO then.

This is some weird shit

Not saying aliens.

But it’s weird cool shit.
    . . .

what's Elon up to now?

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    what's Elon up to now?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_phenomenon

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

The shock waves as it goes through the sound barrier are cool.
    Also, if you read the comments, apparently the election isn't over.

Kinda disappointed that Trump didn't declassify a bunch of UFO stuff. That was the real let down of the past 4 years. It'd be particularly interesting to see analysis reports regarding those objects seen by the Navy aircraft on the recently released Star Academy youtube videos that made the NY Times and WashPo in recent years. I'm curious to see what defense dept. analysts thought of them.

Quote Originally Posted by tetzen View Post
    Kinda disappointed that Trump didn't declassify a bunch of UFO stuff. That was the real let down of the past 4 years. It'd be particularly interesting to see analysis reports regarding those objects seen by the Navy aircraft on the recently released Star Academy youtube videos that made the NY Times and WashPo in recent years. I'm curious to see what defense dept. analysts thought of them.
    There's actually a provision in the last covid relief bill related to declassifying UFO records: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...rnd/index.html

If you're interested in the Tic Tac video listen to David Fraver's interview on the Lex Fridman podcast. The Tic Tac UFO is on a different level entirely than 99.99% of UFO sightings.

Oumuamua is also interesting as hell. The most recent analysis of the data gathered on it indicates that it is not cigar-shaped as initially reported, but actually flat and incredibly thin. Harvard astrophysicist Avi Loeb is convinced that it's not a natural object. It can't be proven either way, but its behavior was so weird that the hypotheses put forward to explain it as a natural object are also purely speculative, involve a completely novel type of object we've never observed before, and also stretch the bounds of plausibility themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    There's actually a provision in the last covid relief bill related to declassifying UFO records: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...rnd/index.html

If you're interested in the Tic Tac video listen to David Fraver's interview on the Lex Fridman podcast. The Tic Tac UFO is on a different level entirely than 99.99% of UFO sightings.

Oumuamua is also interesting as hell. The most recent analysis of the data gathered on it indicates that it is not cigar-shaped as initially reported, but actually flat and incredibly thin. Harvard astrophysicist Avi Loeb is convinced that it's not a natural object. It can't be proven either way, but its behavior was so weird that the hypotheses put forward to explain it as a natural object are also purely speculative, involve a completely novel type of object we've never observed before, and also stretch the bounds of plausibility themselves.
    Oumuamua is a slow interloper. It is moving at a slow speed (26km/s) relative to our solar system such that it would take it 50K years to cover the distance to the next closest start to the Sun although it is not going to intersect anything so quickly. For comparison, Voyager 1 is doing 17km/s. If aliens were gonna send a probe, it wouldn't be like Oumuamua. As far as the flat and thin, I hadn't heard of that.

He doesn't think it's a probe, more like a piece of space junk.

I read a discussion article where Avi Loeb came off as convinced Ooumuamua was of non-natural origins, or at least he comes off as nearly convinced. I have a hard time putting alot of trust into such a strong assertion, especially when so little data was gathered off the object. It just seems too hard to disprove natural or non-natural origins based off radio telemetry alone.

It's too bad we don't have more space telescopes a la Hubble floating around out there that could be quickly redirected to look at things like this.

Yeah, nothing will be proven about Oumuamua, it's long gone. It seems that Loeb's main issue with the natural origin explanations put forth are that they all 1) require completely novel objects never before observed (hardly ridiculous in and of itself for something that did not originate in our solar system), and 2) the probability that natural physical processes could have created those novel objects is quite low. So, it bugs him that people are saying that it's definitively natural. Honestly, it sounds like the main issue his colleagues have with the non-natural hypothesis is that it fires up the UFO weirdo crowd. He claims that quite a few prominent astronomers have expressed varying degrees of support in private, but that none will do so publicly for fear of being labeled a UFO weirdo.

As far as looking for other objects like Oumuamua, he thinks the upcoming Vera C. Rubin Observatory in Chile might find an object of interstellar origin every single month. If we start catching these things early enough and observe weird Oumuamua-like behavior we could potentially send basic probes to intercept them and snap a few pics.

One thing is for sure, with the next-gen telescopes that are coming online soon the next few decades of astronomy geekery are going to be awesome.

We are not alone in the Universe. Not by a long shot. I just hope our real first contact comes from friendlies, not enslavers...