Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightweight wading boots?

Anyone have suggestions for lighter weight, packable, wading boots?

Do you need full-on boots? I've used New Balance (920?) water shoes with good results. Get whatever brand you like that fits. I even have a pair of nearly weightless vivobarefoot ultras for summer wet wading in the backcountry, but I wouldn't walk a long way in them.

For actual boots, check out Patagonia's, I've had good luck with mine but they'd be pretty bulky to pack:
    http://www.patagonia.com/product/ult...336740391.html

thanks.

I was looking for boots to wear with waders because June alpine water is cold. thought it poor form that patagucci will pitch their lightweight packable waders but not have a boot to match.

Lightweight wading boots?

The boots aren’t going to keep your feet warm. That’s what the neoprene socks are for.

edit: oops, you meant with waders. Backpacking with waders is for queers.

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    edit: oops, you meant with waders. Backpacking with waders is for queers.
    I'm fabulous, what the fucks your problem?

Bait fishers, front rangers, and guide schools, for starters. I could go on.

guide schools? what fucking retard would attend TrumpU for trout?

Exactly! Front rangers mostly.

soft science has some that seem decent. I only used them for one long weekend last fall, so don't know about durability, but they are definitely light and packable.

A pair of hiking boots goes about 45 ounces. The Simms Vapor Boot is 53 ounces.

How light are you looking to go? Could you go with a Riprap shoe and wool sock?

Seems like I don't have a problem wet wading in pretty damn cold water with just my wading boots and neoprene booties. Especially if you are in the BC, you can still fish most of the stream if not all without getting more then ankle deep.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Shameless plug for the new Orvis Ultralight boots. 43oz in a size 10, and still durable. Works with waders or just a sock. We have a field tester that has 1,000 miles on them between Alberta and New Zealand over the last year months. Worth a look.
    Harvest the ride.

L8APX...how do you get around the difference in thickness between a wader and socks for the width of the boot?
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Neoprene socks.

Neo socks are the key. I'm a 9.5 street shoe, use a 10 with waders which have a 3-4mm bootie thickness. Most neo socks are 2mm so the fit is a bit off but manageable. Best to try on with waders and neo socks before picking a size
    Harvest the ride.

Chota makes a low cut, light-weight wading shoe. I don't think anyone else still does. Those are never very popular designs because, honestly, they let a lot of debris into the shoe. You are always taking a break to pour sand and grit out of your shoes. Seems like every company has made one and then discontinued it.

I suppose, if you don't need a lot of arch or ankle support, you could use some of the burlier models of flats boots. Those are light and can be rolled up for easy packing.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    For actual boots, check out Patagonia's, I've had good luck with mine but they'd be pretty bulky to pack:
    http://www.patagonia.com/product/ult...336740391.html
    You weren't kidding on the bulky part. 56oz in an 11 as well. Nice boots though. Curious if the Orvis are more packable? I assume they aren't, because floppy/packable doesn't sell.

the chota's - not the low, but the high, might work unsure about the sole. think what I'm looking for is the ~20 year old patagonia boots that flyfishers hated because they were floppy. But with rubber soles.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    You weren't kidding on the bulky part. 56oz in an 11 as well.
    Yeah, it's kind of ballsy/funny to call them 'ultralight.'

patagonia fishing shit's been on a weightgain diet. A pair of 8 year old waders weighs almost the same as their current shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    Neoprene socks.
    I'm a Neoprene socks guys as well. I always find my damn socks getting wet no matter what.

Ever considered using Chacos? I have a pair of Z2s with Stealth Rubber that I have used with great results on several trips.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Another vote for Orvis Ultralight. It is very light in weight yet rugged.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    You weren't kidding on the bulky part. 56oz in an 11 as well. Nice boots though. Curious if the Orvis are more packable? I assume they aren't, because floppy/packable doesn't sell.

the chota's - not the low, but the high, might work unsure about the sole. think what I'm looking for is the ~20 year old patagonia boots that flyfishers hated because they were floppy. But with rubber soles.
    I keep resoling and repairing my 20+ year old pattaguccis because I like them so much. Those Chotas look alright, although I like felt.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I keep resoling and repairing my 20+ year old pattaguccis because I like them so much. Those Chotas look alright, although I like felt.
    https://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/me...-shoe-felt-s17

^^^Those look like a good design.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Oh, I like those! 2.5lbs isn't horrible, especially compared to my freestones, which I don't pack.

I once forgot my boots and rented some from Kirks. They were like Chuck Taylors but with a felt sole. forgot the brand even if it was on there. Seemed quite packable. I bet they were more than 2.5lbs though. Also made of shit canvas that supposedly falls apart in the sun+water+drying but I rented them for the guide shop and they were in OK shape.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!