Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

2019 4frnt Renegade Changes?

How about 190 length EHP, but with the shape of the 186? I would sink tips on the 193 (Chinese watercolor) in more than a foot of fresh untracked, but I’m near 200lbs. Probably wouldn’t have sunk tips in BC because there is real pitch, I only skied them in NE. My floppy beat up 186s floated better on that terrain. 196 Rens surprisingly fun back east.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    I feel like the EHP and the Ren's have a similar top end with a thick c-hair going to the Ren, but as the ideal Ren conditions drop off as the day goes on, the EHP is still completely relevant when the Ren has become a chore to ski.

Straight up bring the ehp back. Start with the pilsner graphic.

You gain a bit in absolutely ideal conditions with the Ren's. But the EHPs are very very close, and, IMHO, shine through more conditions for days on end for where I ski (horse, pass, revy).

They both have the frictionless rocketship quality, IMHO the ehp keeps that quality much longer through the days as the snow deteriorates.

YMMV

Wondering if the new RENEGLADE combines a bit of old Ren and EHP, or is it really now just a soft Ren that is mostly for touring perfect movie snow?
    Or do what I do. Start day on rens. Move to ehp for afternoon and devestators for day after. I do think bringing back the ehp would be a great move for 4frnt. Maybe they could do small batch of rens to. I'm super bummed they changed the Ren. I've stated many times here that is the best pow ski ever, for those who want to ski pow fast. But I have 3 backup pairs to go with 2 pairs mounted and in use. And I've skied 2 more pair until death. So that gets me some years of use. More than anything I'm just bummed to see 4frnt getting away from what I saw as making them a really good brand. Which is designing a great ski and sticking with it. Sure is just 1 ski they've changed but it's my favorite. Jlev's decision to change the lay up is purely asinine, and makes me worry what other mistakes he'll make. I like a lot of the new business model. Recent deal on boards with bindings was a sweet deal, especially for those who can't get pro forms. Jlev should really just hire me as a consultant. I probably own more 4frnt skis than anyone who works for or is sponsored by 4frnt.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Or do what I do. Start day on rens. Move to ehp for afternoon and devestators for day after. I do think bringing back the ehp would be a great move for 4frnt. Maybe they could do small batch of rens to. I'm super bummed they changed the Ren. I've stated many times here that is the best pow ski ever, for those who want to ski pow fast. But I have 3 backup pairs to go with 2 pairs mounted and in use. And I've skied 2 more pair until death. So that gets me some years of use. More than anything I'm just bummed to see 4frnt getting away from what I saw as making them a really good brand. Which is designing a great ski and sticking with it. Sure is just 1 ski they've changed but it's my favorite. Jlev's decision to change the lay up is purely asinine, and makes me worry what other mistakes he'll make. I like a lot of the new business model. Recent deal on boards with bindings was a sweet deal, especially for those who can't get pro forms. Jlev should really just hire me as a consultant. I probably own more 4frnt skis than anyone who works for or is sponsored by 4frnt.

Curious if you own or tried the Hoji? How about reckless toboggan? I just picked up a pair of 187s, hadn’t been on them in a few years. Fun ski for soft snow in NE. Replaced my 186 EHP with those because the EHPs are totally beat, quite soft at this point in their life. Will eventually get another pair of those.
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 12-15-2018 at 12:42 AM.

What year Hoji did you get?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I loved those ones. Wanna try the heAvy 2016s with vibevail too.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

It's funny because I bought the Renegade in '13 (Owl) after noticing that the ski hadn't changed in so many years. That's literally why I bought it.

My head-- "I've been watching the cult online-- this ski must be right by now. I can't believe they're not changing the shape."

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    How about 190 length EHP, but with the shape of the 186? I would sink tips on the 193 (Chinese watercolor) in more than a foot of fresh untracked, but I’m near 200lbs. Probably wouldn’t have sunk tips in BC because there is real pitch, I only skied them in NE. My floppy beat up 186s floated better on that terrain. 196 Rens surprisingly fun back east.
    Yep. The 186 is my all-time favorite ski, but I would pay a huge premium for a 190 WITH the 186 shape. This is a fantastic idea.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Or do what I do. Start day on rens. Move to ehp for afternoon and devestators for day after.
    This is why I am so enamored with the Head Boneshaker/Carlos, easily covers all these bases

For anyone in SLC hoarding the 196s:

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/54457323

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    For anyone in SLC hoarding the 196s:

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/54457323
    I know a guy in Sandy waiting for a sidewall pic of some Devastators

Curious if you own or tried the Hoji? How about reckless toboggan? I just picked up a pair of 187s, hadn’t been on them in a few years. Fun ski for soft snow in NE. Replaced my 186 EHP with those because the EHPs are totally beat, quite soft at this point in their life. Will eventually get another pair of those.
    Hoji has too much RC for my tastes and a smaller sidecut radius. I really like the flat camber of the ehp and the lesser RC of the Ren and the biger sidecut radius of each. Hoji is also too narrow, 116 seems to be my sweet spot for a daily driver. Even the 122 of the Ren feels a bit off on absolutely hardpacked groomers days after a bunch of runs, where as I've skied low tide groomers for days on my EHPs arcing super g turns or just slashing and jibbing around, and have been totally happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I do have a pair of hojis mounted for touring. Not the charger that the Ren is. But floats great for its width. Skied some pretty step spines in AK on them and they held up fine. Would've preferred rens but didn't have touring bindings on them. They definitely have a similar feel to the rest of the line. Waiting to mount a pair of Ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    I know a guy in Sandy waiting for a sidewall pic of some Devastators
    shit, thanks for the reminder. I'll do that now.

Thanks for the feedback guys. For me, it’s fun as an east coast all day pow ski in tight terrain and I agree it is mellower then the Ren or EHP. Not sure if I’ll ever take them on a trip out west, need more time on them. They’ll probably end up with shifts on them at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    This is why I am so enamored with the Head Boneshaker/Carlos, easily covers all these bases
    Same with the Volkl One, which should have been continued in their line and offered in a low 190s length. Yes it overlaps with the confession, but I don’t hear that ski being sung heaps of praise. The one is not as frictionless as Hoji-derived designs, but it is fun in pow (floats a ton for 116 under foot, equal to Rens IMO), fun in chop and crud. Can carve groomers. If I had to have a one ski quiver for out west, I think that would be it. The set I have access to is mounted at -6ish from center (something like 3-4 ahead of the rearmost recommended mount point) and it is money there.

So we’re putting a Praxis EHP 190 order together?

That would be an amazing ski. Shape of the 186, 190 length, Praxis build.

I really like the shape of the 193 for most things, the 186 for some things.

I'd go a shape perfectly in-between the 186 and the 193 in every regard ...189.5 length.

Okay okay...190.

...but we're gonna have to adjust the mounting point to account for that 5 mm.
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 12-16-2018 at 03:55 AM.

So mine arrived, im going to mount em. They actually feel well constructed which is a surprise given the renuchgade conspiracy. Surprisingly flatter than my 2014 but that probably because of the full wood sidewall wet out scenario. Definitely has the potential for a hinge point in the flex towards the tip but is stout underfoot. I'm going to go for it because the very tip is slightly more upturned and i want the extra float for Japan this season. Thinking of going 1.5 cm ahead of the indent which would bring it in line with where i had my old pairs but haven't decided if this will be strange due to rocker changes. Ideally aiming for centerish of rocker profile i think

So glad to hear these are rolling in and they are stiff enough that people are giving them a shot. Looking forward to more reviews from in the snow.
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 12-19-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Another vote for the EHP redux - 190 cm sounds great to me!

I think I'd buy that. Someone make Keith do it, available for the pre-sale.

I decided to order a pair of hojis since there was the holiday bundle deal, got hojis and pair of pivot 12 for 499. 100 less then what I paid for the renegade.
    I haven’t returned the renegade yet. Wanted to compare the two. The core width of the ski is very noticeable. I’m guessing that is from different base and edges. But the hoji came in at 13 to 13.5 mm not including the micro cap, where the renegade measures only 10.5 mm.
    The renegade weighed in at 1873 g/1895g.
    The hojis weighed 1982g/1952g.
    The hojis are much stiffer. Especially in the tail. The renegades feel like under foot are stiff softening slightly in the tip but pretty soft tail on them. Where the hojis hold their stiffness throughout with they’ll getting softer after mid section.
    I was hoping to ride them very soon. But just broke my thumb and need surgery. Bummer as B.C. is getting the goods!
    I would love to hear other reviews of people getting on the renegades. And even the new hojis.

Quote Originally Posted by powderslave View Post
    I decided to order a pair of hojis since there was the holiday bundle deal, got hojis and pair of pivot 12 for 499. 100 less then what I paid for the renegade.
    I haven’t returned the renegade yet. Wanted to compare the two. The core width of the ski is very noticeable. I’m guessing that is from different base and edges. But the hoji came in at 13 to 13.5 mm not including the micro cap, where the renegade measures only 10.5 mm.
    The renegade weighed in at 1873 g/1895g.
    The hojis weighed 1982g/1952g.
    The hojis are much stiffer. Especially in the tail. The renegades feel like under foot are stiff softening slightly in the tip but pretty soft tail on them. Where the hojis hold their stiffness throughout with they’ll getting softer after mid section.
    I was hoping to ride them very soon. But just broke my thumb and need surgery. Bummer as B.C. is getting the goods!
    I would love to hear other reviews of people getting on the renegades. And even the new hojis.
    thanks for the info. Does anyone know if the new hojis are same same as the old hojis? I beleive they are, but not certain.
    I personally found my older hojis to be noticeably softer and mellower ski than my older Renegades. FWIW. still a great ski though and I kinda regret getting rid of them.