Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    This goes without saying but thinner bases/edges more susceptible to rock damage. Easier to compress a thinn edge.
    Also not to be overlooked is the damping effect of thicker plastic.
    Not to mention less stone grinds.
    Put the thicker bases/edges back on JLev.
    I gotta admit, other than this drama, I'm intrigued by the 191 size

Quote Originally Posted by Best Mexican Skier from Da South View Post
    I've only been skiing 2 years, this is my third
    Dayummm bro.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Dayummm bro.

I know. It's an addiction. 2 seasons. 200 days. Eastern Sierra BC objectives like Bloody MTN and Mt Johnson N Coulior last spring and tagged Mt. Shasta summit after the first year skiing...

Newb progression like no other. Didn't even grow up skiing. We don't get snow in the Souf!

Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    This goes without saying but thinner bases/edges more susceptible to rock damage. Easier to compress a thinn edge.
    Also not to be overlooked is the damping affect of thicker plastic.
    Not to mention less stone grinds.
    Put the thicker bases/edges back on JLev.
    I gotta admit, other than this drama, I'm intrigued by the 191 size
    Same thoughts. I was sooo stoked for the Ren which is why I'm so pissed about the bastard production.

Has anyone skied the Hoji ? I’m thinking I’ll just exchange the rens for a pair of hojis. I was relying on a nice stiffer ski because I was getting the shorter length.

2019 4frnt Renegade Changes?

Not the new one, but older heavier Hojis rocked! I have only skied the 187, I wanna try the 19X version but havent gotten around to it

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Not the new one, but older heavier Hojis rocked! I have only skied the 187, I wanna try the 19X version but havent gotten around to it

At least the new ones don’t have the lighter base and edge. They are stiffer then the new renegades. I think a 187 would be good for touring. Suppose to weigh in at 1900 g. Even heavier then the new Rens! I’m sure the new rens would be ok in storm day tree skiing. But tech fast and open bowl skiing. I want some backbone!

1875g sounds silly light for Renegades, I'm on the 2016 black/blue 186cm @ 2275g which was the last version before they dropped some weight down to 2100ish I believe. I have the 2013 Hojis (Pilsner can, 2200g weight) with Radical ST 1.0 for touring.

Would be curious to try the new ones but not sure they will work for me as a Whistler resort/slack pow ski @ 215lbs. I'm sure they will be great in pow especially tree skiing but variable/hard snow in the resort or ski out from slackcountry will not be great at my size.

I have Guardians on my 186's now so it's a stupid heavy setup. My plan was to wait for Shifts to be field proven by consumers and then buy two pairs + 2019 Rens & Hojis for a two ski quiver and be done with ski gear purchases for 5 years. 2019 Renegades + Shifts would be lighter than my Hoji + Radicals haha.

Gotta say, I've got no dog in this fight, still rocking OG 186 Renegades. But I'm glad 4FRNT stepped up and commented on this thread, it would've been a big negative if they didn't based on the precedent they've set in the past.

I still think the 15% decrease in stiffness over what Hoji intended (I think I've got that right), is a damn shame, but the company is responding to it well in my opinion. However, it is pretty telling that they intend to go back to a stiffer layup for next year. The Bastard Renegade (TM) will definitely be a unique item on the used market.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

Props jlev for a well thought out, honest, and professional response.

The og rens 196cm are pretty much a one shot thoroughbred fir me at 5'9" 175#. They are simply the best high speed get retarded steep pow ski ever. On everything else they destroy me.

I'm intrigued to try the 191cm bastard rens. Not sure that is even possible. Will likely wait to get the 2020 rens. 5cm less length, lighter, and only slightly less stiff would hopefully make for a great pow inbounds ski that won't wreck me through the crud and bumops back to the uplift.

Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Hats off to jlev for coming on here and explaining everything. I'm sure 4frnt will take a significant hit on this mistake. But by coming on here and being honest. They've restored my faith in the brand. I've got a ridiculously huge quiver. But it's dominated by 4frnt. 193, 186 ehp. 194,184 devestator. 196, 186 rens. 184 raven. Keep letting your athletes design skis and keep coming on here and interacting with skiers who are passionate in a direct manner. Please bring back demos at Alta (I really want to ski the map) and the ehp (maybe with metal)!

2019 4frnt Renegade Changes?

Quote Originally Posted by powderslave View Post
    Has anyone skied the Hoji ? I’m thinking I’ll just exchange the rens for a pair of hojis. I was relying on a nice stiffer ski because I was getting the shorter length.
    Hojis are good. I ski the heavy and light ones back to back, and almost exclusively. Heavy are a little burlier but i prefer the light (red). They feel like a great balance of weight to stiffness/feel. Lower swing weight. Tip profile is improved.

They would be the worlds best ski if they had less RC. Which would make it more of an ehp, and would be my preference. I get that that’s not the point of the ski and accept its personality as is.

I use them in the alps, as they rule on bad or funky 3d snow. The extra rc does have them skiing powder very well for its width.

Hoji was use for the ski shots in this, deep pow:

Jumps - not deep to ice... to grass:

Steep Alpine Lines:

Light Hojis, Touring with airs:

Sure sounds to me like a financial decision was made to save a few bucks in base and edge material and that has resulted in an unexpectedly compromised product that is now being pushed out on previously fanatical consumers but runs the risk diluting the brand

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Sure sounds to me like a financial decision was made to save a few bucks in base and edge material and that has resulted in an unexpectedly compromised product that is now being pushed out on previously fanatical consumers but runs the risk diluting the brand
    This.

I bet that just how the skis are 'magically' softer, their profit margins 'magically' rose when they went to a cheaper material to ship/manufacture.

I'd agree this was probably a financial decision gone wrong. But I give them props for coming out and admitting their error. And they're offering a different ski to anyone who's already paid. While I'm sure a lot of those people are bummed. I doubt there are many other companies willing to admit their mistake and offer up a decent solution. Get your money back or another pair of skis. Devestators and hoji are both good, but different skis. I'm bummed as I thought the 191 could be a great ski. Maybe it will be. Chances are they'll be cheap 2nd hand. And next year they could be awesome. I will always appreciate 4frnt allowing their athletes to design skis. I hope they continue that and allow good skis to stay good skis. Not sure how the white room is functioning these days. But if 4frnt was willing to do some limited run vintage skis. Well that'd be really sweet.

What they NEED TO DO IS THIS: How about offer custom ski options on the greatest hits like the Renegade and Hoji. Hell, even have different years as options. Lots of smaller ski companies allow for custom ski builds using the dimensions of their great designs.

Prior Boards and Skis do that in Whistler.

Praxis does that in Tahoe. (Ordered an UL Carbon Protest 192 to replace the duties of the now cancelled Bastard Renegade)

And I'm sure there are many more out there. Satisfy the crowds to stay in business, of course. But also listen to the die hard crowd. The die hard crowd for any brand are the ones who get more buyers to take interest.

200 lifetime days guy checking in, sick!

Sounds like a pretty good alternative to the praxis protest for the ever-elusive" what ski should I bring to Japan".

Sent from my LM-G710VM using TGR Forums mobile app

Wow you guys are a bunch of drama queens. Remember when they softened the 14-15 cochise and bodacious by 15%? Blister reviewers claimed not to feel any difference if I recall.

I get the apprehension because it is such a legendary ski, but please, go ski it first before flaming the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Best Mexican Skier from Da South View Post
    What they NEED TO DO IS THIS: How about offer custom ski options on the greatest hits like the Renegade and Hoji. Hell, even have different years as options. Lots of smaller ski companies allow for custom ski builds using the dimensions of their great designs.

Prior Boards and Skis do that in Whistler.

Praxis does that in Tahoe. (Ordered an UL Carbon Protest 192 to replace the duties of the now cancelled Bastard Renegade)

And I'm sure there are many more out there. Satisfy the crowds to stay in business, of course. But also listen to the die hard crowd. The die hard crowd for any brand are the ones who get more buyers to take interest.
    Can we internet personalities not try to rewrite proven business models, please?

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    Sounds like a pretty good alternative to the praxis protest for the ever-elusive" what ski should I bring to Japan".
    I've never skied a Protest, but it's high on my list. Furthermore, I have two forest skiers here who disliked the stiffness of the Ren. While I tend to haul ass, most don't. This might make those two other kids at my hill amped.

And if they're actually talented on their gear... maybe they don't need stiff planks over-compensating for them like I do. /Just sayin'...

Just a public reminder that this ski hasn't been skied by any voices in this thread.

All that said, I never imagined that there was any way necessary to make the Ren an easier ski to ski. I'm happy to have my mind blown, though!

My 191 will be here Thursday and I will try to mount and ski next weekend. I skied 186 then 196 then went back to 186. Bought 191 thinking it would be the best of both worlds. Now I’m getting an OG one today to double down. So I think my review may help hopefully.

Also got an email from 4frnt saying hoji or devastator is $499 and includes pivot 12. Maybe sell pivot 12’s for $150 ish
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    200 lifetime days guy checking in, sick!

I think most of the concern here is that the lighter weight and softer flex is because of a fuck up. If they had tested it and Hoji plus the other pros signed off on it, then I think there’d be a lot of trust in the ski.

Sooo a Mexican guy who has been skiing for all of two years knows more about making skis than Hoji or JLev even though he has never actually skied on the skis in question. Ha ha ha God I love the internet.