Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Interesting. You think the 2023 is similar to the green ones I bought from you? I always get confused on what year they are, but before the topsheets went with the stainless look. Yours are my 2nd pair of the same ski. Great groomer / no new snow ski. Tips could be a bit softer if one skis a lotta bumps, but I don't ski bumps so no biggy for me
    No those ones you got from me are the old beef ones, heavier wood cores and ultra tanky. The newer models have lightened up a ton, and refined their shapes. The ones you got were nice though, especially for a heavier skier, or someone who wants an absolute tanky ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    Ancient as fuck. Not worth $500 IMO, but I’ve never skied that model. They’re probably heavy as hell too. Their old skis were beef missiles.
    Cheers, mate.

Wasn't going to buy them (NZ$, btw), just curious. If I could get the skis flat for U$100, I'd pounce, though.

Shred city! Wonder what skis those were. Looked to be 95’ish underfoot.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Why you should own a Stockli Stormrider

Top sheets look like the Stormrider DP Pros (pictured below in dark gray for their second generation which was nothing more than a top sheet update) and the bases look like the DP Pro + (pictured far left).

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Cheers, mate.

Wasn't going to buy them (NZ$, btw), just curious. If I could get the skis flat for U$100, I'd pounce, though.
    I skied these at least a couple times, I had access to a Stockli demo fleet around the time they came out. From what I recall they’re an awesome piste ski— heavy, damp, fully cambered, only around 80-85mm UF if I recall correctly. Not as burly or stiff as the DP or Schmidt models which were their off piste shapes at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    Ancient as fuck. Not worth $500 IMO, but I’ve never skied that model. They’re probably heavy as hell too. Their old skis were beef missiles.
    You’d be hard pressed to find a current ski better for hard snow all mountain use.

Someone school me on these, please.

Attachment 428690
    That’s pricey. For a similar ski, the Head Monster 82 in 09 vintage is very similar to the Stockli builds. Heavy, damp, strong edge hold. They can be found cheaply as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    That’s pricey. For a similar ski, the Head Monster 82 in 09 vintage is very similar to the Stockli builds. Heavy, damp, strong edge hold. They can be found cheaply as well.

US$280. And this is NZ, where everything it pricey, and Stöcklis are as rare as rocking horse sh!t. So not awful, in the scheme of things, and had they been DP Pros or Pro+ I'd have pounced.

US$280. And this is NZ, where everything it pricey, and Stöcklis are as rare as rocking horse sh!t. So not awful, in the scheme of things, and had they been DP Pros or Pro+ I'd have pounced.
    This makes me want to start a New Zealand smuggling gang. Nerds ropes and stocklis

Good thinking!

So I know this is like asking a group of alcoholics if I should give up drinking... But just how badly do I need a pair of 2019 storm rider 95? I'm eyeing up a pair.

I'm not a charger but started skiing faster and more confidently since I upgraded to Mach 1 130 boots and katana 108 last year. But I will never go full mach chicken again due to injury and age and being the father of a 3 year old... Yadda yadda.

I love the idea of damp and quiet... That's what I want.

In my low tide quiver right now is a Salomon rocker 2 100 which is easy to ski but still decently damp. Edge hold is sometimes lacking... But I actually really love these skis and how approachable they are.

I don't want to always be on my game 100% in this quiver spot.

The price is ok but still kind of expensive compared to what I usually buy, because Stockli.

How bad do I want these?

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    So I know this is like asking a group of alcoholics if I should give up drinking... But just how badly do I need a pair of 2019 storm rider 95? I'm eyeing up a pair.

I'm not a charger but started skiing faster and more confidently since I upgraded to Mach 1 130 boots and katana 108 last year. But I will never go full mach chicken again due to injury and age and being the father of a 3 year old... Yadda yadda.

In my low tide quiver right now is a Salomon rocker 2 100 which is easy to ski but still decently damp. Edge hold is sometimes lacking... But I actually really love these skis and how approachable they are.

The price is ok but still kind of expensive compared to what I usually buy, because Stockli.

How bad do I want these?

Stormriders absolutely rip - they are really fun and confidence inspiring in firm conditions. Mine are older and I bought them cheap, but I'd consider buying a newer pair at a reasonable price. They're as good as all the hype.

How bad do I want these?

I have owned several Stockli skis, none of them have allowed me to be lazy. They all wanted a technical strong proficient pilot, one reason why I love them so much and added another pair to the quiver last year. Stormrider TT110.
    As others have alluded, they do kick ass, damp, edge hold, quiet underfoot, very rewarding if driven. Sounds like you are looking for a more approachable ski for this slot. Worst case is buy them and see if this ski is for you. If not sell it here, it will go quickly if adult sized.

Shred city! Wonder what skis those were. Looked to be 95’ish underfoot.
    2007/08-2008/09 Stormrider DP Pro
    125-94-111 R=31.3m
    Recommended line at -12.9cm from TrueCenter
    My pair has Mass= 2142g & 2154g
    https://www.skipass.com/guide-matos/...-dp-pro-1.html
    Name:  DP.png
Views: 671
Size:  597.4 KB
    - TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    2007/08-2008/09 Stormrider DP Pro
    125-94-111 R=31.3m
    Recommended line at -12.9cm from TrueCenter
    My pair has Mass= 2142g & 2154g
    https://www.skipass.com/guide-matos/...-dp-pro-1.html
    Name:  DP.png
Views: 671
Size:  597.4 KB
    Awesome man, thanks! Always wanted to ski that ski.

I think that pic was posted to show the holes were on the inside edge… as per the Peak Skis thread discussion.

Awesome observation.

Always dug Dominique's style. regardless of the classic “flailing” arms. The turns were right. And the line choice was also right.

I wish I was surfing my bases when I was racing. I didn’t get “driving the bases.” I thought everything was a carving sequence. I focused too much on the edges, and glossed over the bases.

Shame. Because now I get it.

Perhaps I age like a fine wine. You should ski the trees in Japan with me. Now all I need is a Stockli-inspired Renegade.

Maybe there are some Dynastar PU elements to the core that could soften tortional tail flex of a wood/glass build ala the Ren.

As in— something similar to the pattern ofthat stockli tail, but in the core, with holes being filled with PU. Too many moving parts?

Anyway, Hoji seems to think adding more rocker made the Ren surfier. I’m sure it did. But a more torsionally flexible core might be worth exploring. I like my 2013 HALS rocker shape. Too much rocker worries me as power is lost longitudinally.

Looking at you, Heritage. A 2013 HALS Ren shape with a torsionally looser tail sounds bonkers. Would that tail involve a Dynastar inspired PU build up? Would the whole core benefit from PU?

This whole Stormrider thread is turning into quite the deep dive. Making me question my Pro 108 desires. I want something 105-110 with a loose torsional tail and a bitch of a spine. Something I can use to surf out of chaos and then sit on as I straight-line through hell.
    Last edited by gaijin; 10-08-2022 at 05:36 AM.

Stormrider TT110
    Where did you find those? And what size?

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    I had a pair of the 2014 VXL's that ended up in the shop; still had good edge grip like a stormrider should, but quite a bit more easy-going than the XXXL/SS Pro that's in the same category. Dead easy to ski, stable at speed, likes to turn a lot. Still, not worth $500 for a ski over a decade old.

What models/lengths are people most interested in owning? I can usually get very good prices on demos from 2-3 years ago models, and most of the time they’re super great condition. I won’t know till the season starts up though.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Where did you find those? And what size?
    Buddy of mine, 192 and like new. They will never leave my quiver. I’ve made that mistake with to many other stockli’s, not this time.

Last edited by 2FUNKY; 10-09-2022 at 04:28 PM.

Buddy of mine, 192 and like new. They will never leave my quiver. I’ve made that mistake with to many other stockli’s, not this time.

Nice find. Looking for a 183 for myself.

Ok I'll put a light feeler out.

Based on what other posters I respect have said, i might not love this ski...

But for the right price I would like to try an SR95 in a 175.

But I'm in Canada so you would need to ship, which I would pay for.

Ok I'll put a light feeler out.

Based on what other posters I respect have said, i might not love this ski...

But for the right price I would like to try an SR95 in a 175.

But I'm in Canada so you would need to ship, which I would pay for.

Where in Canada? I'm in Whistler somewhat regularly, you're welcome to try mine. Mounted with STH2 16 @ 305mm.

110tt's are sweet. They make you a better skier.

That being said, I am looking to semi-retire my pair if some Corvus ski in a similar manner.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Where in Canada? I'm in Whistler somewhat regularly, you're welcome to try mine. Mounted with STH2 16 @ 305mm.
    I'm in Calgary ... Unlikely to make it out that far with a 3 year old at home but I appreciate the offer and will look you up if I do.