Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    AFAIK Mt. Baker Highway was built for the purpose of providing recreational access per the vision of a guy called Bert Huntoon. The original lodge was developed by big B-ham money and originally for summer use only. Highway only access to mountain resorts was odd for the time: Most mountain resorts were accessible by RR. There is an indirect mining connection: B-ham was a coal town.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    AFAIK Mt. Baker Highway was built for the purpose of providing recreational access per the vision of a guy called Bert Huntoon. The original lodge was developed by big B-ham money and originally for summer use only. Highway only access to mountain resorts was odd for the time: Most mountain resorts were accessible by RR. There is an indirect mining connection: B-ham was a coal town.
    Twin Lakes road/Yellow Aster Butte is mining related for sure. Glad my memory wasn't too off on the Mt Baker Highway question.

A lot of the miners were from countries with a skiing background in Europe as well, and thus brought skiing to the mining towns.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I think baker was mostly recreation access. Some of the other roads in the area were definitely mining though.
    relevant

most of the ski areas in WA were built with the idea of urbanites skiing them. there were plenty of places off snoqualmie pass that prospered prior to and during WW2. Paradise had rope tows prior to the war; the Mountaineers and others objected to upgrades which lead to Crystal Mountain. There's still a mine shaft out crystal way.

Mining act has been used (abused?) For cheap backcountry ski operations in montana for quite some time. I mean it from like 1872 or some shit...

Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    Many ski areas in Colorado have major mining histories in their development (Crested Butte, Tellluride, Aspen, Breck, Silverton, etc.).
    Add Taos.

I knew an early 70s Telluride ski bum that worked in the mine there. He sold his place and a business there for peanuts and moved away just before it took off - not the best decision from a financial POV.

Mining was pretty fundamental to California development, if not directly to skiing there.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    A lot of the miners were from countries with a skiing background in Europe as well, and thus brought skiing to the mining towns.
    The Norwegian immigrants are credited for that in Park City. I guess that back in the day, they used wooden skis and skins from animals they had trapped for transportation to mining claims. Pretty hard core.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    The Norwegian immigrants are credited for that in Park City. I guess that back in the day, they used wooden skis and skins from animals they had trapped for transportation to mining claims. Pretty hard core.
    on the california front, snowshoe thompson was a norwegian ski pioneer in california https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowshoe_Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Add Taos.

I knew an early 70s Telluride ski bum that worked in the mine there. He sold his place and a business there for peanuts and moved away just before it took off - not the best decision from a financial POV.

Mining was pretty fundamental to California development, if not directly to skiing there.
    A friend of my parents remembers when you could have bought most of the town of Telluride for back taxes. Old dude still kicks himself for not making that investment.

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    yep worked underground same year as my 1st ski pass
    The 4 years I worked in mining, were my least productive powder farming
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Aspen Mountain is riddled with mine shafts and partially hollow.
    Biggest silver nugget in the world was mined there in the 1880’s.
    Many of the best runs are the mine tailing dumps.

Speaking of tailings dumps.

The iconic Chads gap.

RIP tanner
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QsBZfRJihdw

Mining in Liberty carries on. No too far from Mission. Folks are still having a go on the Peshastin side as well.

If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    I think the relationship is probably more about old mining towns needing to find another source of income and pattented mining claims giving them land to build base facilities on.
    Park City comes to mind. When my buddy moved there as a kid in the mid seventies he used to get beat up in school by the miner kids. None of them left now.

Alpental base area sits on old mining claims
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”