Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

20% shuttles-chairs / 80% pedal power - Another reco

Yeah I’ve done one build day with SATA since I moved here. Just dumb luck that I’ve been out of town for closer build days at Thurston or King Castle. I’ve met some good peeps from DoD and Lifecycle.

I’m gonna be at the Alsea fundraiser on Sunday with my wife. We went last September and had a hoot.

I will say that bringing a Capra to Alsea is like bringing a grenade launcher to a knife fight ... if that Chameleon had a slacker head tube and modern fork it might even be more fun on those trails than the Capra! Not saying I don’t like Alsea - I think it’s awesome PG13 fun that’s well below the radar for out of towners ... just that I bet I would have more fun there on a modern hard tail like a GG Pedalhead than a big bike like the Nomad because all the transitions are just so damn smooth, clean and perfectly set.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Yeah I’ve done one build day with SATA since I moved here. Just dumb luck that I’ve been out of town for closer build days at Thurston or King Castle. I’ve met some good peeps from DoD and Lifecycle.

I’m gonna be at the Alsea fundraiser on Sunday with my wife. We went last September and had a hoot.

I will say that bringing a Capra to Alsea is like bringing a grenade launcher to a knife fight ... if that Chameleon had a slacker head tube and modern fork it might even be more fun on those trails than the Capra! Not saying I don’t like Alsea - I think it’s awesome PG13 fun that’s well below the radar for out of towners ... just that I bet I would have more fun there on a modern hard tail like a GG Pedalhead than a big bike like the Nomad because all the transitions are just so damn smooth, clean and perfectly set.
    alsea dig days every other weekend (shuttle perks after digging), mac forest weeknights, dod has some big new projects coming up (maybe thurston?), sata geer park monday night dig (i will be there leading tonight), brmba every other weekend, get dirty and make some friends

idk if a capra would be THAT overkill... i had fun learning the lines on my 38lb 7in coil bike, but am going to bring the dj for a few giggle inducing runs this weekend as well
    the black trail will start being built next week since the green and blues are in good shape and well received, think its been flagged and corridor cleared a bit last season but i havent walked it yet with the crew, will be mostly hand built so looking forward to that

ask for change on sun, i will be the tall skinny guy in the tgr hat and a black sx trail and black dj

Congratulations on the new bike! Sexy af. Your old bike is now your bar bike.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

It has been a good start on the capra on trail. The YT shreds. It's like time travel on the down. I was a bit worried about its climbing prowess after reading some internet commentary, but the 29r at least, provided good times all around and feel like i'll be doin nose manual tree taps in no time.

Schralp, I head to Santa Cruz to visit friends soon, but have to skip through So. Oregon this trip. Oakridge among other areas in the southern parts are on my visiting wish list.

Klauss,

How you liking the Capra? Is yours the 2017 or 2018 model? A 2017 AL Comp showed up locally in my size for a pretty tempting price. But, I've found some reviews that are giving me pause--mostly complaints related to the the ultra-progressive leverage ratio and the rear end feeling harsh and shitty in terrain with lots of successive hits.

Anyone else here with time on the 2017 Capras?

Rocky Mountain Altitude would fit the bill as well. I just put on a coilover and bumped the travel to 170mm for shuttle/lift days. Pedals AMAZINGLY well.

EDIT: just saw how old this thread was, and he bought a Capra.
    My assessment still stands!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

It's a 2018 29r. I really like my capra, but I am not the one to give a proper opinion as this is the first year since pretty much 2003 i've been riding trail. e.g. "ultra-progressive leverage ratio and the rear end feeling harsh and shitty in terrain with lots of successive hits" doesn't resonate to me. Jm2e said it well " if your last bike experience was a V-Brake hard tail, any FS bike should feel amazing"

Rode a couple friends bikes including a high end yeti SB6 27.5 with an ohlins coil and it didn't feel like an upgrade, just another fun bike. no regrets on the capra. The ohlins was a bit more plush than my DPX2, but I never feel under gunned. At speed on chunky downhills I feel great on the capra. I've also cased some good size doubles and it's been solid. A couple of guys in the group I ride with are very rowdy bikers and they approve of the Capra for what it's worth. We do a decent amount of pedaling but it's mainly up a long ridge to go down.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Rocky Mountain Altitude would fit the bill as well. I just put on a coilover and bumped the travel to 170mm for shuttle/lift days. Pedals AMAZINGLY well.

EDIT: just saw how old this thread was, and he bought a Capra.
    My assessment still stands!

Okay, now I want to know.. how did you bump the travel on your rocky, offset bushings and longer stroke length shock? Or are you referring to the fork only?
    Asking cause I have one..