Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dash Cams

Dash Cams

No plans for Russian relocation but mulling over the idea and there are a ton of options. Like to find something reasonably discrete (i.e., no LCD) with high-quality forward and rear views and auto-on if the vehicle is bumped or moved. Maybe that's most of them. No idea. BlackVue and Thinkware seem like popular brands. Go to Amazon and sort by reviews? Anyone have one of these things?

Wirecutter recommends the Papago GoSafe 535. Here are recommendations via the Dash Cam subreddit.

Ordered this one
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07B92GJK6?...9820_124470850

I think they are a good idea

What on Earth is going on in your lives? Maybe you need to move.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Apparently, weird stuff happens in that zone between popular and completely ignored areas.

It's a nice toy to have when you really need it

Never in my life have I thought I might need one.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

You don't need one until you need one.

I have them in my front yard, cuz ...... "get off ........."

I'm creating a video record of the faulty infotainment centre issues on my new OB and the rat bastards at Subaru head office make it seem like it's uncommon when they knew it's a serious flaw and should be recalled.
    At least the infotainment issues can be seen in real time and recorded. Thats what the second camera is for.
    If they don't finally get it right the video's will be a powerful tool in court. Making claims is one thing but having a video log and proof is something they can't not discredit.
    It will be interesting how this will work out.

Yes I do need it

I'm thinking dash cam-type applications at least become OEM options in the near future. Clearance cameras and remote trailer monitoring are already found on newer vehicles.

I don't believe the police like this option.
    Their word in court was infallible but cameras can now prove that many are bull shit artist.
    Think of an onstar system that helps protect against theft and lying cops. This would prevent them from taking a camera. Even if they put you in the back seat of their car your fob could still record the conversation. It sounds like its a bit much but better to have it than not.

Real time data that can prove you were not speeding or didn't roll thru a stop sign. I would welcome that to keeping my insurance costs low.

On the other hand it can prove you did break the law if big brother is allowed to use against you.

What on Earth is going on in your lives? Maybe you need to move.
    Ever been in an accident?

I've been thinking about this too lately. Seems that it's cheap insurance to safeguard you against idiots claiming falsehoods about the "incident." Believe it or not, these sorts of things are not limited to just Russia. Scammers abound. Or people DO make a simple mistake, cause an accident (it happens), but then try and lie about what happened. Seems that a dash cam would sure be the easiest way to clear anything like that up.

Techmoan's done a bunch of great reviews on them. Worth checking his stuff out, but start with this one:

ive been wanting one for awhile too. not bc i’m afraid of an accident but bc I frequently see cool stuff on my way to work at the crack of dawn. moose and animals and amazing sunrises.
    skid luxury

And meteoroids.

ooh ya that’s one of the incidents that really brought them to my attn. and got me sucked down the rabbit hole of watching russian dashcam video craziness
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Apparently, weird stuff happens in that zone between popular and completely ignored areas.
    as long as you aren't staying at a motel in SLC you should be fine.

Florida Bridge collapse dashcam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucflj-MsJBI

I've had a BlackSys CH-100B for over a year. Purchased because I took a job with a commute and saw folks do some wild stuff on the highway. Haven't needed footage yet, but happy with the product.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    No plans for Russian relocation but mulling over the idea and there are a ton of options. Like to find something reasonably discrete (i.e., no LCD) with high-quality forward and rear views and auto-on if the vehicle is bumped or moved. Maybe that's most of them. No idea. BlackVue and Thinkware seem like popular brands. Go to Amazon and sort by reviews? Anyone have one of these things?

Wirecutter recommends the Papago GoSafe 535. Here are recommendations via the Dash Cam subreddit.
    Rear view as in out the back window or looking at the driver?

Why would you want a camera looking back at you? Seems like a bad idea to me unless you have other people driving your vehicle and want to be able to prove they were distracted in an accident.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Out the back window so front and rear views are recorded. Some of the dash cams include two cameras and one of those mounts in the back glass.

You would think they would design vehicles that allow you to plug into the rear view camera with a friggin laser beam
    That'll teach those tailgating Russians

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Rear view as in out the back window or looking at the driver?

Why would you want a camera looking back at you? Seems like a bad idea to me unless you have other people driving your vehicle and want to be able to prove they were distracted in an accident.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    It could come in handy doing a YouTube series filming weirdos or say nose pickers on the highway. You know the ones that dig for gold and examine the nugget they just mined.
    I reserve the copy rights to this idea.

I wonder if they hurt or help if you were speeding even if the accident is the other guys fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I wonder if they hurt or help if you were speeding even if the accident is the other guys fault.
    It depends if the high speed was a contributing factor to the accident.

I had someone pull into my lane and sideswipe my car, then claim I was at fault. I got my deductible covered eventually but only after serious and repeated pain in the ass work. Might make me rethink dash cams