Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    Splat, Didnt you and a Kooteny photog try to expenses hookers and blow on that Poland feature back in the day?

Growing up, Powder wasnt just a ski rag, it was the BIBLE. No other publication truly captured the spirit, and culture of skiing like Powder did. They kept the magazine focused on the core of the sport and did it in a tongue and cheek way that kept yore eyes glued to it. They didnt branch out into mainstream social-political issues, instead they kept it centered on the sport, with a bit of a counter-culture edginess that focused on the ski bum lifestyle. They did this by using the best contributors (many of whom have gone on to be legends and not just in the ski industry) they never paid the best, but they got the best contributors to work with them as they treated there contributors like gold. Powder always set the bar the highest for its content and it never let advertisers or others influence its editorial direction. Because of this, all of the advertisers, ski brands, ski areas and most importantly the readers viewed Powder as the be all end all authority on skiing. Hell growing up my entire life goal was to shoot for Powder (something that I have been very grateful to have achieved)

The problem is the last two editors at Powder completely lost focus on what the magazine is. They gave into pressure from certain advertisers and there own publishing company and tried to make it something it wasn't and in doing so they alienated many of the top contributors who made the magazine what it was. Social media is putting a big strain on print. Every advertiser I know is pulling money from print budgets and putting it into Social. The problem is it all gets diluted on social and a brands message gets lost in the feed. If a publication is going to be successful these days wether it is print, online or combination it has to stay truly focused on its core base. You have to create high-quality content that you cant get anywhere else if you want people to still subscribe. As soon as you loose your editorial focus you loose your core audience you are just another social media feed that no one reads.
    You should've stopped here, within your scope of knowledge.

Statisitcs show that happens on average at least once a decade. The cold hard numbers prove that winters are not getting less snowy or warmer. Everytime an area has a shitty winter everyone gets all doom and gloom and says are winters are coming to an end. That simply isnt true and the stats show the opposite.
    How old are you?
    How many years have you been in the PNW?
    Have you always been a GW denier?

PS-you produce a great magazine.

I remember that steamy August day, you come home and opened the mailbox and THERE IT WAS - the September issue. I wouldn't even open it until the evening, settle in and read that 1st issue INTRO that set the tone for the upcoming season..

http://thepowderintros.com/season-passes/25

http://thepowderintros.com/archive

This season was the first I didn't subscribe since I can remember..

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    You're right on the money with every word, Gunder. Once Steve Casimiro, then Leslie Anthony walked away from Powder because the conglomerates started sucking the money out of the top jobs, the writing was on the wall. Those know-better-than-the-fucking-skiers assholes from said title bundling media giants (who went belly up in the end) didn't give a fuck about what made Powder what it was. And it was indeed The Bible of skiing. The newby editors had little wordly experience nor the balls to stand up against the bullshit these corps ran down their throats, most of which involved doing it all with no money. There was nothing worse than seeing Powder reduced to the paper and thickness of a fucking comic book. And by the time the money had to buy better paper to retain any readership, the old hands had walked and a consecutive tide of greenhorns came along with their brainfart attempts to remake what didn't need remaking, poor Steve what'shisname that caused the mass migration here being a prime example.

DT did okay but once he left it really went to shit. I get free issues and didn't even bother calling in a change of address last year, marking the first year in 40 years of my reading and/or writing for Powder that I didn't care enough to read a single issue. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who no longer gave a shit about watching it circle the drain. When young know nothing editors are willing to take $30K a year while living in SoCal to spice up their resumes and feel important, shit was bound to go south. And yes, I expensed the hookers and blow so they could get a feel of how much it cost me to get stuck in Eastern Europe with four or five dead broke ski bums while getting the story of the year. Needless to say, that Steve guy editor totally shit himself when he got the invoice and receipts because he was young and quite inexperienced.
    We should also look at the fact the dumb fuck bean counters at the parent company thought it would be a good deal to kill the contract with the main distributor that got the rag into the various newsstands and super markets. Way more people bought single issues then subscribed, so next thing all thats left is the dedicated core subscribers and the last two clue less editors alienated them by pushing personal agendas that had nothing to do with skiing. I always considered Reddick the guy that kept the soul of the mag in tact, but the last few years its been obvious that he is just doing whatever it takes to please the corporate guys to save his own job. The only way to save the pub now is if they higher someone with the knowledge of the history and culture of the sport and the balls to stand up and say fuck you to the bean counters to make a better vision of the mag succeed.

Pat, While I have had a ton of disagreements with you over the past, I has always admired your dedication to the sport and keeping it real...

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    How old are you?

I'm 38, have lived in the PNW my entire life and have spend the last 20 years of my life dedicated solely to capturing deep powder images. I am not a GW denier, but I call bull shit every time I see someone claim it just because they have had a low snow year or a few ( in Tahoes case). Both of my parents where very well respected scientist in there fields, so I have always had a lets look at the true data installed in me since as long as I can remember. For example, in a five season stretch from 1976-1981 the ski area average yearly total at Baker was only 431 inches with an all time low of 277, (similar to what tahoe is now experiencing) that goes in stark contrast with what everyone I know says they remember it being deeper as kids. If you look at total snowfall for the same decade, the total was 7142 inches. The only decade that has so fare come close to that much snow is the current one.

Another important fact to note, Baker always has measured its snowfall at the base which is more accurate. Most areas measure snowfall at the top where it is way more impacted by wind etc and easier to bias towards a higher number. Looking at the cold hard numbers there is ZERO statistical facts that support the fluctuations in our season snow totals are due to global warming. I have no doubt that mankind has an impact on our climate, but I have a huge issue with people using statistically outlying years as evidence of our impact. At the end of the day, I am sure we have an impact, but statistics have so far shown that is very negligible, and with all of the environmental laws past over the last 40 years, it should make sense that we are actually seeing and improvement.

At the end of the day the whole global warming thing is looked at by most people as either the glass is half full or half empty, I'm just saying you should get a graduated cylinder out and fucking measure it, and do it again and again over time and see what the facts are actually saying before you blame everything on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Yeah, I know what SWE is. Total snowfall is simply not a metric that hydrologists use. It's useful for ski area marketing, but not much else. If you want to conduct a rigorous study of snowfall and precipitation trends you don't use potentially biased total snowfall data from a handful of ski areas, you use data from the 800+ SNOTEL sites in the west. SNOTEL reports temperature, total precip, total snow depth, and SWE.

Winter rainstorms and high-density snow would actually bias SWE towards your position (snowfall is not decreasing), not away from it. SWE would report lower declines than total snowfall in those scenarios and mask a trend of declining yearly snowfall totals.
    Most snotel sites do not have data prior to the late 80s. and most do not have data prior to the early 2000's

SWE basically just measures cumulative density. It only maters at the end of the day if you care about how much water is going to fill or over flow your revisors. Its not much different that walking outside and measuring the total snow base. Case in point, every year, I ask the old guys in Japan how much snow do you get each year, and they always tell me 2-3 meters. They base that number on how high the snow banks are. For a skier that is totally irrelevant when I measured for my self that they got a meter that morning and another meter the night before. When you are skiing know one cares about how deep the base is once most early season obstacles are covered, only how much fresh you have each day. Seriously when you check the snow report in the am, do you. give a damn about the base, or just if they got 2", or 12" or 24" overnight?
    Last edited by Gunder; 05-17-2018 at 01:50 AM.

I could not get through much of this thread.

????
    https://www.theskijournal.com/
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I'm 38, have lived in the PNW my entire life and have spend the last 20 years of my life dedicated solely to capturing deep powder images. I am not a GW denier, but I call bull shit every time I see someone claim it just because they have had a low snow year or a few ( in Tahoes case). Both of my parents where very well respected scientist in there fields, so I have always had a lets look at the true data installed in me since as long as I can remember. For example, in a five season stretch from 1976-1981 the ski area average yearly total at Baker was only 431 inches with an all time low of 277, (similar to what tahoe is now experiencing) that goes in stark contrast with what everyone I know says they remember it being deeper as kids. If you look at total snowfall for the same decade, the total was 7142 inches. The only decade that has so fare come close to that much snow is the current one.

Another important fact to note, Baker always has measured its snowfall at the base which is more accurate. Most areas measure snowfall at the top where it is way more impacted by wind etc and easier to bias towards a higher number. Looking at the cold hard numbers there is ZERO statistical facts that support the fluctuations in our season snow totals are due to global warming. I have no doubt that mankind has an impact on our climate, but I have a huge issue with people using statistically outlying years as evidence of our impact. At the end of the day, I am sure we have an impact, but statistics have so far shown that is very negligible, and with all of the environmental laws past over the last 40 years, it should make sense that we are actually seeing and improvement.

At the end of the day the whole global warming thing is looked at by most people as either the glass is half full or half empty, I'm just saying you should get a graduated cylinder out and fucking measure it, and do it again and again over time and see what the facts are actually saying before you blame everything on it.
    I left you a link to a discussion of the Wasatch (by competent scientists) in the context of a paper (published by competent scientists) that evaluated the data across the Western US and found a 9 percent decline in snowpack over the preceding decades, with the effects much more acute at lower elevations. The authors explain that this has occurred because it rains more and snows less than it used to, leading to this result.

Local skiers, patrol, and avalanche forecasters can all tell you about how they didn't used to figure out the stability of rain crusts in midwinter in the Wasatch. Now, it pisses rain to the top of Alta at least once every January and the base elevations of Snowbasin and Park City don't hold any sort of reliable snowpack at all.

I'm not trying to be Mr. Doom and Gloom - I'd much rather be perma-stoked on how rad things are. But this is the world we are living in. And you and I are young enough that we are likely to live long enough to see things get worse.

Seriously when you check the snow report in the am, do you. give a damn about the base, or just if they got 2", or 12" or 24" overnight?
    Every time I look at the overnight snowfall, I look at a snotel site to see the SWE. SWE can tell you a lot about how that 2", or 12" or 24" is going to ski. I found it particularly useful when I was living the NW cause we all know that 16" overnight skis like 2" if the storm leaves hot, thus increasing the SWE......

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    How old are you?

To be clear. Grant was involved with the creation of The Ski Journal and is a strong contributor ( we wish he would submit more often ). Gunder has not been on staff at The Ski Journal for many years.

* Gunder does not represent The Ski Journal * Disclaimer.

/goes back to lurking .

Quote Originally Posted by Wibby View Post
    To be clear. Grant was involved with the creation of The Ski Journal and is a strong contributor ( we wish he would submit more often ). Gunder has not been on staff at The Ski Journal for many years.

* Gunder does not represent The Ski Journal * Disclaimer.

/goes back to lurking .
    Thanks for the clarification.

You put out a great mag, thanks.

FFS....... please stop talking about Tahoe, you clearly haven't been paying attention. We had one of our largest precip years EVER the season before last, but there still wasn't as much snow at lake level as there used to be during an average season. It's fucking warmer (FACT), which is why the average snow line is higher (FACT).

Paging maggot 2_1_3 to the white courtesy phone. Actually, he won't be bothered with this nonsense I'm sure. Here's his paper: https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs...EI-D-17-0027.1

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    FFS....... please stop talking about Tahoe, you clearly haven't been paying attention. We had one of our largest precip years EVER the season before last, but there still wasn't as much snow at lake level as there used to be during an average season. It's fucking warmer (FACT), which is why the average snow line is higher (FACT).

Paging maggot 2_1_3 to the white courtesy phone. Actually, he won't be bothered with this nonsense I'm sure. Here's his paper: https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs...EI-D-17-0027.1
    Unpossible, it's still snowy at Mt Baker...

Nice read.

I grew up on the north shore of Tahoe. My history an perception is from the 1960's till now.
    I remember when there was no moss on the rocks in the lake.

The Tahoe basin goes though wild weather pattern swings that have in cases lasted several of our life times.

Read up on the trees that grew in the base of Fallen leaf lake.

without much thought, I remember waking up to 4 feet of fresh in King Beach. And it melting within a month.
    I remember good years where it seem the sun always shined but there was a snow pack till may in Incline.

I remember one year when it rained / snowed rained/ and the skiing sucked the entire year.

And then there were the cloud seeding wars of the 80's - when snow started getting profitable.

Fun fact. The Tahoe basin was almost completely clear cut around the turn of the century. there are many pictures as evidence. - nothing really natural about the place
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I haven't read all of the posts here, just kinda skimmed the last page. But measuring snowfall totals is not an accurate method of tracking GW. It's generally accepted that as average temperatures rise there is more evaporation, leading obviously to more precipitation. Recording snow lines and depths is surely a better method of tracking any kind of warming cycle.

That said, you SLC mags should probably be more concerned with your own microclimate than with GW as a whole.

Has Powder magazine been ruined by covering how The Denver Post has been ruined?

"Skiing Just Lost Its Daily Beat Reporter
    After 21 years covering the ski industry for the Denver Post, Jason Blevins walks out amid mutiny in the newsroom"

https://www.powder.com/stories/inter...beat-reporter/

Quote Originally Posted by Bozo T. Clown View Post
    Has Powder magazine been ruined by covering how The Denver Post has been ruined?

After 21 years covering the ski industry for the Denver Post, Jason Blevins walks out amid mutiny in the newsroom"

yeah
    this is something to talk about
    the guy had no problem getting the inside scoop with in depth quality reporting, from broomfield, denver, to the far corners of the state of colorado the guy was on it like flies on shit, he seems to have a connection everywhere, internet bloggers, nightly news, and modern day internet news media bullshit....... well it's all garbage and half made up skimmed face book posts regurgitated, this guy actually got out there and talked to people, imagine doing something originally like that, in doing so he wrote some of the best stuff that paper published
    when the shit went down I noticed his articles were no where to be found, I was/still am bummed

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Yeah...I was a fucking social justice warrior before it was a catch phrase because I invited a maggette photographer along on our trip to SA. I also greatly supported the only black maggette (that I know of) because there have been so many fucking dickless cockbites here whose racist, sexist insecurities and rants ran off a lot of decent women. Little weenie boys who neither know how to play with girls nor act like men.

So having seen the kind of behavior here that attempts to run off women and people of color due to ingrained bias and ignorance, the more I think about it, the more I think Julie Brown hit a fucking nail on the head. Dickless motherfuckers need to be made aware that they are dickless motherfuckers. Because all that shit is definitely present in skiing, as it has been blatantly exhibited here. I'll be your social justice warrior. Maybe I'll even write a story for Powder that sounds a lot like this post.
    do you feel better...

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Now hear this:

Anybody who doesn't love Julia Mancuso can just fuck right off.

That is all.
    +1

+2

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by SirHeady View Post

Can they even craft prose without injecting commentary about..........., global warming,

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Climate change isn't a Republican Vs Democrat issue, dumb ass. Think of it more as an "ignorant dumb-ass who should have paid attention in chemistry class" vs "any half reasonable objective thinking decent human being thing".

Seriously, what don't you believe about climate change? Do you think CO2 is not a by-product of combustion? Tell us then, how this is wrong, please: (it's burning isohectane, i.e. gasoline)

2 C8H18 (g) + 25 O2 (g) à 16 CO2 (g) + 18 H2O (g)

Do you doubt the physical/thermal properties of CO2 as they relate to atmospheric conditions? In your imaginary world, does CO2 no longer absorb IR light and help keep our planet warm? Did you know if it didn't do that, the temperature of the earth would be on average 60 degrees F cooler?

Do you doubt research that shows higher levels of CO2 in our atmosphere than ever recorded or measured in the last 800,000 years? (source: https://www.climate.gov/news-feature...carbon-dioxide)

DO you think a bunch of scientists got to together and made up a big hoax to trick the world into having clean air and water?

With all my heart, I hope you never get to enjoy a powder day again in your life. I hope the fleeting feeling of weightlessness as you bounce between turns in thigh deep champaign powder only remains in you as a fading memory of times long since past. I hope you never get to feel the exhilaration of the human body moving with a speed and grace through billowing pillows of snow unattainable by our current evolutionary path.

In summary, you suck. You are a terrible human being. You are the living embodiment of all that is wrong in the world.
    Last edited by ExPowderSnob; 09-26-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ExPowderSnob View Post
    Climate change isn't a Republican Vs Democrat issue, dumb ass. Think of it more as an "ignorant dumb-ass who should have paid attention in chemistry class" vs "any half reasonable objective thinking decent human being thing".

Seriously, what don't you believe about climate change? Do you think CO2 is not a by-product of combustion? Tell us then, how this is wrong, please: (it's burning isohectane, i.e. gasoline)

2 C8H18 (g) + 25 O2 (g) à16 CO2 (g) + 18 H2O (g)

Do you doubt the physical/thermal properties of CO2 as they relate to atmospheric conditions? In your imaginary world, does CO2 no longer absorb IR light and help keep our planet warm? Did you know if it didn't do that, the temperature of the earth would be on average 60 degrees F cooler?

Do you doubt research that shows higher levels of CO2 in our atmosphere than ever recorded or measured in the last 800,000 years? (source: https://www.climate.gov/news-feature...carbon-dioxide)

DO you think a bunch of scientists got to together and made up a big hoax to trick the world into having clean air and water?
    That's great stuff right there

Quote Originally Posted by Bozo T. Clown View Post

Blevins is a great writer and bright guy. Used to post here @ Tonsil Varnish I believe. He is on the list with Porter Fox of shit I will read when ever I come across it. ( speaking of Porter has a great new book out BTW)

Blevins is awesome. Fuck the Denver Post. Fuck all the Denver news outlets including 9 news and Westword. They all suck.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Blevins is awesome. Fuck the Denver Post. Fuck all the Denver news outlets including 9 news and Westword. They all suck.
    seems he is still out there writing @ a new outlet: https://coloradosun.com/author/jason-blevins/