Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Powder Mag been ruined by Social Justice Warriors?

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    You write about people who make those areas cool? Or about the people who visit those areas and have stories. But that takes time and effort so maybe not.
    I think that's more the domain of other publications, hence their problem

Seconding backcountry as a ski magazine worth reading.

Subscribe to Ski Journal and or The Avalanche Review for better substance.[/QUOTE]

Both run by maggots, you all know that, right?

Sent from my HTC6535LRA using TGR Forums mobile app

^^^ And there you have it.

I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post

Subscribe to Ski Journal and or The Avalanche Review for better substance.

Sent from my HTC6535LRA using TGR Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

Yep, all the more reason to subscribe, that and I always get a second copy of SJ in the mail somehow which I proceed to leave at establishments I frequent. Thanks Matt.

Still a good shitter read. The photo annual cleans me out.

Anyone else catch Powder getting skewered on Facebook for posting a sponsored article/review about how Chevy Traverse is a good ski car? A two wheel drive vehicle that they got to use for free in exchange for writing said review. I know this kind of shit is par for the course at all mags but wtf.

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post

Subscribe to Ski Journal and or The Avalanche Review for better substance.

Sent from my HTC6535LRA using TGR Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

SKi journal and Frequency (Snowboarders journal) are awesome coffee table quality magazines. I need to go find the Avalanche review... that one is new to me...

Quote Originally Posted by ExPowderSnob View Post

SKi journal and Frequency (Snowboarders journal) are awesome coffee table quality magazines. I need to go find the Avalanche review... that one is new to me...
    Here ya go: https://www.americanavalancheassociation.org/tar/

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    I haven't looked at a ski magazine all season.

They actually still print those?
    Says the guy who was written about in Powder a few seasons back.

Quote Originally Posted by core2 View Post
    Says the guy who was written about in Powder a few seasons back.
    now I'm curious who that is. Magazines, newspaper, print media in general taking a big hit. Sucks because I always looked forward to getting the mags in the mail, showing friends cool stuff, etc. Now I have to show them on a tiny phone screen. Like records and movies, I want the art work IN MY HANDS, on my shelf. the old days were so much better in so many ways.
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Anyone else catch Powder getting skewered on Facebook for posting a sponsored article/review about how Chevy Traverse is a good ski car? A two wheel drive vehicle that they got to use for free in exchange for writing said review. I know this kind of shit is par for the course at all mags but wtf.
    Uh, they are available in AWD, too, and last time I drove one (something like 2012) they actually made decent ski cars if you put a box on top. We had three of them on lease when I was working at a Vermont ski academy, and aside from being short on space compared to a 13-passenger van or Suburban, they worked out pretty well.

Not that I'm a fan of "advertorial" crap masquerading as actual editorial content, but the Traverse isn't a horrible ski car if it's got enough space for your needs.

LMAO...no but I want to. This is what happens when virtue signaling North Eastern Lib SJWs take over from the ski bums that created the magazine. I'm surprised they haven't had a section on the best on mountain Avocado Toast and Rose Brunch offerings in the Rockies. Powder has become the Buzzfeed of skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by SirHeady View Post
    LMAO...no but I want to. This is what happens when virtue signaling North Eastern Lib SJWs take over from the ski bums that created the magazine. I'm surprised they haven't had a section on the best on mountain Avocado Toast and Rose Brunch offerings in the Rockies. Powder has become the Buzzfeed of skiing.
    I've seen the postings for the mag writing internships in places like Los Angeles. Most of the people on this board are more core skiers than the people writing ski mags or running ski media companies. OnTheSnow and Mountain Collective News are a prime example of people shitting out ski media that have no business doing it. Also, Powder could barely hang with @raisingarizona and his crew when they went out.

I've seen the postings for the mag writing internships in places like Los Angeles.
    Powder has been based out of Southern California for many many years.

Carry on though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post

Carry on though.
    Yep, which seems counterintuitive but they've explained that's very easy to catch a flight to where they need to go and still be close to a major advertising hub. Makes more sense than NY and flying your staff out of Mammoth all the time would get very expensive.

That piece a few years back with RaisingArizona was a very good one, as a case in point. I would link it but don't want to formally out him on here, that's his choice. We've had a few other maggot features in the Tahoe area in recent years. You don't have to be the best skier on the mountain to write about it, I should add, although I've skied with a former editor of said magazine and he ripped around Squaw just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Powder was sold to Surfer Publications in 1981, so yup, a loooonnnggg time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    the Moes sold Powder to Surfer Publications in 1981
    Thanks for that. I knew it had been quite a while, but couldn't easily find the date.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Has Powder Mag been ruined by Social Justice Warriors?

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Yep, which seems counterintuitive but they've explained that's very easy to catch a flight to where they need to go and still be close to a major advertising hub. Makes more sense than NY and flying your staff out of Mammoth all the time would get very expensive.

That piece a few years back with RaisingArizona was a very good one, as a case in point. I would link it but don't want to formally out him on here, that's his choice. We've had a few other maggot features in the Tahoe area in recent years. You don't have to be the best skier on the mountain to write about it, I should add, although I've skied with a former editor of said magazine and he ripped around Squaw just fine.
    Is that the Tranquilo story where they ski backcountry on Agassiz/ Snowbowl and they guy bails on one of the objectives ?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by SirHeady; 03-29-2018 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Uh, they are available in AWD, too, and last time I drove one (something like 2012) they actually made decent ski cars if you put a box on top. We had three of them on lease when I was working at a Vermont ski academy, and aside from being short on space compared to a 13-passenger van or Suburban, they worked out pretty well.

Not that I'm a fan of "advertorial" crap masquerading as actual editorial content, but the Traverse isn't a horrible ski car if it's got enough space for your needs.
    Except the powder article explicitly said "ours is front wheel drive! it's great, what a super ski vehicle!"

A) what kind of fucking car company thinks "hey, let's have an advertorial in a ski magazine and NOT provide them with the AWD version of the car"

B) what kind of ski journalist thinks "yes, this is perfectly fine that they didn't even think to give us the version that drives all four wheels, and in fact I'll go ahead and write about how great the two wheel drive version is!"

I like powder but I definitely laughed my ass off when I read that and made sure to comment on how ridiculous the article was. I've driven an awd traverse, it was fine though a pig, and I would never buy a front wheel drive one! (Of course I'd never buy a GM product period but that's beside the point).

It's like if FCA gave a two wheel drive wrangler to off-road magazine to test, and instead of off-road going "what the fuck? why wouldn't you give us the 4x4" they ran an article about how awesome it was off road. It just doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by boardtodeath View Post
    Except the powder article explicitly said "ours is front wheel drive! it's great, what a super ski vehicle!"

A) what kind of fucking car company thinks "hey, let's have an advertorial in a ski magazine and NOT provide them with the AWD version of the car"
    Lots

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

"Lots"?! Not a single one of those vehicles had an awd option at the time of the ad... your response to my statement appears to indicate you didn't read what I'd said.

You completely and utterly missed the point. Yes, plenty of car companies advertised two wheel drive cars to skiiers. In every one of your examples those are cars that are only available with two wheel drive. I used to have a camry with x-ices on it and I took it all over the west, never got stuck. I'm not saying front wheel drive won't work for skiing.

But this is a vehicle where the majority of the examples I see are all wheel drive. There's an AWD option that most people choose on this very model of vehicle. Hell, I didn't even KNOW that they made a fwd version until I looked it up in disbelief, because every one I've ever seen was the AWD. So why the fuck supply the magazine with your less capable version? Again, would you see off road magazine writing off road reviews of brand new 2wd models of vehicles that are also available in 4wd? No, because that'd be a stupid choice both on the part of the magazine and the automaker.

Plus, you know, not very many cars had 4 wheel drive in the 70s, and yet your ads are all from the 60s and 70s. Of course they are advertising two wheel drive vehicles to skiiers in those decades, because in the 60s and 70s no cars had 4wd. How those ads pertain to an article written within the past year about a brand new vehicle is lost on me.

I think I would take that Celica or Volvo over the Traverse.

I think I would take that Celica or Volvo over the Traverse.
    I dunno, those traverse awd's seem to come with hot mormon chicks or borderline psychotic housewives - I think I'd take that over the hair that chick's rocking in the celica ad.

The roaring 2.2l's of power is pretty rad though. Different times...

I asked this on one of the Bobby junkshow threads and it went unnoticed, but it needs to be asked again:

How do you guys pronounce Celica?