Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    after daniel deleted threads at powMag and the exodus occurred, I haven't picked one up

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    after daniel deleted threads at powMag and the exodus occurred, I haven't picked one up
    Almost 15 years of grudge... why is your join date a year after the exodus?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

lurker

why buy a magazine when there is so much online? second if I am going to pick up something up to read, it's a book or the new yorker or atlantic

you really are a douche

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    lurker

why buy a magazine when there is so much online

you really are a douche
    Did I strike a nerve? Snowflakes...

talk to the hand fuck head

Did Gosey ever sell those pocket rockets?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

i think he did...

Pocket Rockets put the Soul 7 to shame and they had robots. Bring back the greatest skis ever!
    Monocoque for life!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Looking over Powder's current front page, of 20 articles, one looks like it mentions race, and another mentions gender.

OH NOES I HAVE NO ESCAPE FROM THE PEOPLE ATTACKING MEEEEEEEE

I think the point is neither of things matter when it comes to skiing powder, so why bring them up in the first place. I guess virtue signaling to their dwindling reader base?
    Live Free or Die

Back in the 70’s and 80’s I read Powder magazine voraciously. It had a way younger flavor and a bit of an edge the “corporate” magazines didn’t have. Living in London Ontario and skiing the 100 vertical foot Byron Bog, it was the eyes on real ski terrain I never had.

I still remember reading and re-reading one article by a Jackson Hole ski bum and the drinking, drugs and endless powder he experienced. I think the author has since passed on, but it was included as one article in a “best of Powder “ anniversary issue several years ago.

There was some very good writing and some very good humor in those early issues. National Lampoon and Powder saved my high school life.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I think the point is neither of things matter when it comes to skiing powder, so why bring them up in the first place. I guess virtue signaling to their dwindling reader base?
    Well, keeping the sport alive means getting more people into it by being inclusive... cost is a far bigger problem I think.

Cost and 90% of the population would rather bitch about snow on social media.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    getting more people into it
    We need to get some people out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    We need to get some people out of it.
    The dwindling snowpack and rising costs have this covered

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    The dwindling snowpack and rising costs have this covered
    I did not notice this around here this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    what else is left to write about that the desk-jockey tourists who think they are better than tourists would like to read? They all want to ski the same great resorts the supply of which hasn't increased in 30 years, but with only a few people so the resort won't make money. They discovered backcountry skiing 10 years ago and have written about all the "great" tours and haven't added any new ones.

quess what I'm saying is how do you keep on with "Little areas that rock" if you've already written about all the little areas that rock?

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    I knew it was over about 10 or 12 years ago when their equipment issue came out and the pictures of the skis were bigger than the reviews. Their ski reviews used to be the bible compared to the factory rap in Ski and Skiing. That year it sounded like some of the reviews were by people who hadn't even been on the ski. It caused me to write my only letter ever to the mag. Powder was always 1/2 about the photos, but not form over substance.

Skiing powder used to have a long learning curve because of the equipment so it created a brother/sisterhood of those that could pull it off, thereby proving they had paid their dues. Now every tourist on rental fat boards is trashing the untracked. The evolution of Powder Mag is simply a reflection of the times.
    I'm tellin' ya, "The Ski World According to Mudfoot. The long......long view." blog would be the perfect solution to fill this void. You will of course need some 'boots on the ground' to help out.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    quess what I'm saying is how do you keep on with "Little areas that rock" if you've already written about all the little areas that rock?
    You write about people who make those areas cool? Or about the people who visit those areas and have stories. But that takes time and effort so maybe not.

Has Powder Mag been ruined by Social Justice Warriors?

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    You write about people who make those areas cool? Or about the people who visit those areas and have stories. But that takes time and effort so maybe not.
    QFT

I think the largest difference is the general lack of effort that goes into most of today's journalism. Not so much deliberately, more so ignorance for what comprises a well written article.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Subscribe to Ski Journal and or The Avalanche Review
    [/thread]

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    I'm tellin' ya, "The Ski World According to Mudfoot. The long......long view." blog would be the perfect solution to fill this void. You will of course need some 'boots on the ground' to help out.
    Old guys all think people want to listen to their stories of "back in the day," but the truth is nobody really gives a fuck, but I did just get a good quote from an old ski buddy of mine: Skiing is like sex, everybody thinks they're good at it.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    Old guys all think people want to listen to their stories of "back in the day," but the truth is nobody really gives a fuck, but I did just get a good quote from an old ski buddy of mine: Skiing is like sex, everybody thinks they're good at it.
    See....now that's factual AND entertaining. Now include big pictures of skis and big lines, followed by beer.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

So many of my best memories of my 20's and early 30's seemed to be in line with the shit I was reading about in Powder. I will never forget that 2004 gear guide that really got me into a fever about spending lots of days on the hill. Too bad my kids found it and destroyed it a couple years ago. I suppose that times were changing and I cant blame a magazine for adapting to survive when so many others were failing. If I recall correctly, I remember reading in Powder their explanation for the way they structured the gear issue. Just like many though I started enjoying Ski Journal.

I banged a Cornell chick who actually shaved, she was a Bio major though.....then I married her.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I think the largest difference is the general lack of effort that goes into most of today's journalism. Not so much deliberately, more so ignorance for what comprises a well written article.
    See, now this is criticism I agree with whole-heartedly, although Powder has had some decent pieces lately after a pedestrian streak. But what Backcountry magazine is doing in recent issues is awesome - they're going deep and historical with perspective and comparing to modern skiers. The issue before last had a bunch of stuff about the history of the redline traverse and other early explorers of the Eastern Sierra, as well as some recent lines that had been hit for the first time with big snow years. It was pretty great. Those OG explorers were seriously bad-ass doing what they did with the gear they had. Not to mention storing food caches ahead of time during the summer.