Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    My memory is that dot has not approved the carbon canisters so shops are in for a big hurt if something goes wrong and why you can’t get them filled in US

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    My memory is that dot has not approved the carbon canisters so shops are in for a big hurt if something goes wrong and why you can’t get them filled in US
    It’s the same physical bottle you can buy from Harbor freight (or a similar supply company) that has the threads Mammut uses. The issue comes down to sealing the top of the containers, and by that I mean how they keep the air in after filling it. Also filling it and verifying the amount of pressure in the actual cylinder. Let’s be honest, shop employees are not the smartest sometimes and without a gauge on the actual bottle itself even if there is a gauge on the compressor you may overfill or underfill the bottle which could be deadly. That’s why shops avoid them. I’ve had a few long Talks with the owner of Moo’s Ice Cream, The shop in Jackson that fill cylinders, and the canisters I got from Europe are nearly identical to small carbon paintball canisters. But he will not fill them because they do not have a gauge on them.

The canisters actually have the DOT stamp on them, and as long as you don’t send it by air freight, you can ship them all you want. The DOT issues are all air freight issues with US regulations.

Having looked at the whole system I’m sure Mamut could do it in the US. But it’s probably so prohibitively expensive that they’re just not because the market isn’t there yet.

The truth is, if we really wanted to we could get small 4000 psi carbon bottles, and put the gaug, fill and disk attachment parts from the aluminum bottles on them and would save some weight. We have been getting carbon SCBA Bottles for firefighting equipment for years on cargo ships and don’t have any issues. Carbon high-pressure bottles are not hard to come bye. It’s refilling them and making sure the tolerances for a one pull save my life application are there. I just don’t think the regulations in the US code for this type of safety gear are letting Mammut implement the technology.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

That’s the answer abs gave me when I asked. They have the canisters in Europe and do their own filling. I am sure they would have liked to sell their carbon tanks in the US

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    That’s the answer abs gave me when I asked. They have the canisters in Europe and do their own filling. I am sure they would have liked to sell their carbon tanks in the US
    We are a small winter sport, and partake in a small niche of an even smaller niche in that sport. Maybe skiing grows and the demand for carbon airbag canisters grows? We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Maybe skiing grows and the demand for carbon airbag canisters grows? We will see.

Holy fuck I hope not. We need this sport to take a turn for the uncool ASAP. Way too many fucking toolbags out there.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Holy fuck I hope not. We need this sport to take a turn for the uncool ASAP. Way too many fucking toolbags out there.
    Or we need to expand the lift access skiable terrain by 10x. Skiing has exploded, but instead of the resorts expanding, or new resorts opening, we are cramming more and more people into the same space.