Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mammut carbon cartridge - N.Am?

hey mags,
    I have a mammut 3.0 carbon cartridge that a buddy brought back from Japan. Been using it since last season. It's rad, and I want another one.
    Anyone had success getting these in N.Am (Canada)? How'd you do it?

Barrabes.com/en Got one for $129.83 shipped to the us.

alpinstore.com also worked to the US.
    Last edited by bfly; 03-27-2018 at 10:20 AM.

thanks mags.
    both look sold out, but I'll keep an eye out.

Was pretty bummed when my 3.0 pack arrived and didn't include a cartridge (listed weight on their site with carbon cartridge). Why aren't these available in US?

Bumping this, just got my mammut 45, picking a canister -> what’s the story with the carbon, seem like one time use - then you exchange ? see the initial cost is around 150,- is some of that a “deposit” but what’s the process and price for exchanging if you’re in America will the company that sold it exchange it for you?

Is the weight worth the exchange process?
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

I think there is some kind of new EU regulation against shipping compressed air via air freight. I've been looking and haven't found anyone who will ship a carbon canister to the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    I think there is some kind of new EU regulation against shipping compressed air via air freight. I've been looking and haven't found anyone who will ship a carbon canister to the US.
    Copy. That would make this whole talk moot.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Copy. That would make this whole talk moot.
    If you find someone who will ship a carbon canister please let me know. I'd definitely buy one.

Ive got one that I prob would be willing to sell, fresh from alpinstore this season. PM me.

I'm keen to buy a carbon canister as well. I just checked alpinstore and it looks like they won't ship to the usa anymore

Bumping this thread. Has anyone flown back from Yurp recently with a full carbon canister? It appears that european retailers still will not ship these to the US

I took mine when i flew into the usa from Europe this spring. It arrived well as far as i can tell. Just tuck it in your ski bag somewhere and hope it arrives. It is a bit of a gamble but mine paid of.

I had a friend successfully smuggle one back for me from the UK in checked luggage.

Awesome, thanks for the confirmations. I'll be trying in February

Just know it’s likely a one time use as it can not be filled in US last I knew

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Just know it’s likely a one time use as it can not be filled in US last I knew
    Thanks, I was trying to figure out how to fill it myself, but the physical setup to refill(I believe I have a design) is too expensive for the benefit. So I will try bringing a used canister to europe in February and exchange it and return with a full canister. Hoping it all works out

Not my add, but this guy in Colorado has a bunch for sale:
    https://rockies.craigslist.org/spo/d...402164682.html

Quote Originally Posted by timmaio View Post
    Thanks, I was trying to figure out how to fill it myself, but the physical setup to refill(I believe I have a design) is too expensive for the benefit. So I will try bringing a used canister to europe in February and exchange it and return with a full canister. Hoping it all works out
    Unless something major has changed since early 2020, there is no infrastructure in the US to refill carbon canisters, which run at 4500psi (aluminum are 3,000 I believe). Your local refill shop won't touch it due to liability.
    Don't try to cheap out (weight wise) on the canister when there's an established system in place already.
    The last place you want the system to fail is when you need it to save your hide.
    Rent the carbons in yurp and skip the hassle of bringing the "heavy" alu w you

I bought 6 back from Asia last year. It’s a pain in the ass and they aren’t that much lighter. I think I know the guy in Summit County, and he stole my idea on how to get them back…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Checking in any luck out there on the carbon effort?

Anyone have any Luck on getting a carbon cartridge bumped to the us? Looks like the eu retailers are not playing anymore I’m sending over the cartridges..

In the UK and Yurp gas/compressed air cylinders are prohibited items for overseas shipping and always have been.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    I bought 6 back from Asia last year. It’s a pain in the ass and they aren’t that much lighter. I think I know the guy in Summit County, and he stole my idea on how to get them back…

What was your idea? Besides the Asia part obviously...

I believe he crewed on ships, so personal property perhaps

Mammut carbon cartridge - N.Am?

Ok. WSTDEEP bought them from Europe and shipped them to the port agent (who charged a handling fee) the ship I work on uses in South Korea. I actually missed them because they were hung up at South Korean Customs because the European shop didn’t do a good job with the customs form, so getting them out of customs cost money. I asked buddy (who worked on a different ship) to grab them after getting them through customs (not cheap). He brought them back on his ship, got off in Cali with no issues with US Customs. He then shipped them to me UPS Ground.

Everything was declared at all stops. It’s a royal pain in the ass, not sure I want to repeat the process to save a few ounces. And it wasn’t cheap considering they are one time use in the USA.

We looked at trying to add gauges and fill novels, like to top of the aluminum US canisters, but you give up about half the weight you save. I have not had to use a carbon canister yet, if I do I’ll look closer into getting it refilled. They have a different cap then the brass caps the US canisters do.

I did a quick calculation and it would come out to at least $500/canister if I wanted to import a bunch of them to sell them. Yeah, you lose some weight and gain room in your pack, but it’s really not that worth it, at least to me.

I’m also trying to never go back to sea ever again. Every day I’m applying for non-seagoing jobs, which would and my ability to buy these. I might be able to get another buddy to do it, if you guys are really are interested I’ll make a phone call.