Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I was looking at that Stuntman last night. That checks a lot of my boxes for cheap.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Been in the same market.
    Relative to the OP's first list, I looked at all of those, then found the Trek Checkpoint:https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...-bikes/c/B546/

Over the Domane you gain clearance for 700x45 tires, but loose the front Iso-whatever.

Thoughts??
    "Last one to the bottom is a Coward"

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    I have convinced myself that I need an Open UP, even though I've never ridden one. They're not cheap, though.

The Diverge looks pretty good, too.
    Two of my buddies just got this bike w the big cushy tires. It is pricey as fuck but their new found off-road proficiency in this type of bike has me sold. Crazy Expensive but great bikes

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I was looking at that Stuntman last night. That checks a lot of my boxes for cheap.
    I ran 2.1" WTB nano's on my AWOL for a bit and found them to be overkill and rather slow on the tarmac. 42mm gives plenty of cushion on fire roads/not-to-rocky singletrack yet is still plenty fast on the road, just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by sickturd View Post
    I ran 2.1" WTB nano's on my AWOL for a bit and found them to be overkill and rather slow on the tarmac. 42mm gives plenty of cushion on fire roads/not-to-rocky singletrack yet is still plenty fast on the road, just sayin'.
    Agreed. But, I love that I'd have the option to run an almost 2" tire on the existing 29" rims...even if I never did it. I'm also obsessed with steel.

Agreed. But, I love that I'd have the option to run an almost 2" tire on the existing 29" rims...even if I never did it. I'm also obsessed with steel.
    Stuntman is your jam. 631. 50s. Dropper post. Hilarious 70s paint job.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Huh -- Raleigh doesn't list a $1700 Willard anymore. The most expensive is $1300 - https://www.raleighusa.com/road/adventure . With the easily available corporate discount its $1140. Plus what coupons / ActiveJunky you can stack on top of it.

If no camp/tour planned, bikes like the Willard are a good choice.
    The one he has is closest to the Willard 3 (1 x 11 SRAM). I'm not sure where he got the MSRP figure from, but I know he got it on prodeal for $800. I'll know more this afternoon when I go look at it and drink his beer.

I went down the Raleigh rabbit-hole; the Willard 4 has me intrigued, for only $1300:https://www.raleighusa.com/willard-150706

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Two of my buddies just got this bike w the big cushy tires. It is pricey as fuck but their new found off-road proficiency in this type of bike has me sold. Crazy Expensive but great bikes
    I probably didn't need to hear that.

It should be no surprise at this point, but for $1300 I'd be all over that Stuntman +$100 for a set of 40mm tires. If I hadn't used up all my spouse points, and money, for a camping setup, I would have already ordered. I dig my Haanjo, but there's enough I want to change to be worth a cheap upgrade like that.

Edit: Just noticed it's 26 lbs. Kinda porky. That could be a killer for some.

Oh, I hear ya on the steel... CF frames are cool for TDF super bikes but for the average rider it's way too spensive. I thought the new holy aero Canyon Grail
    was a pubey joke when i first saw it.

That's why I've only bought one bike brand new and it was discounted old stock at basically half price.

Think I'm going to have to break down and shell out for a brand new MTB pretty soon though. I do get a discount at my shop but that one is going to be aluminum. And I might currently have 3 carbon bikes.

... So my friend's Raleigh Willard 2 is a 2016, and has the same build as the 2018 Willard 4. Nice bike! It's now mine for $650.

Went with an All-City Spacehorse 2yrs ago and kinda wish I had waited until now for more tire clearance, disc brakes, etc, lighter fork, etc. So many good options these daze!

If I had ~$2,000 it would be a toss up between a gorilla monsoon or Cosmic stallion depending on how much offroading I'd do.

Check out Bombtrack cycles too, they have a few great cross models around $1500

this might help your decision as well

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...e-buy-already/

Quote Originally Posted by Capatain View Post
    Been in the same market.
    Relative to the OP's first list, I looked at all of those, then found the Trek Checkpoint:https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...-bikes/c/B546/

Over the Domane you gain clearance for 700x45 tires, but loose the front Iso-whatever.

Thoughts??
    Outside just posted a review, less than impressed compared to the Domane.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    this might help your decision as well

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...e-buy-already/
    I’ve read Schwartz’s book, and try to be a satisficer; but damn, shopping for bikes is a kid-in-a-candy-store kinda thing: I want ‘em all!

The All City bikes are radical

Picked up the Willard today; only $650. Stoked!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9028.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	683.9 KB 
ID:	230446

What gravel/endurance roadie for me?

How’s that Willard working out for you? I’m debating a new Willard 4 - feels Iike a killer deal at $1k with all the Raleigh discounts
    Last edited by benfjord; 04-17-2018 at 01:36 PM.

I love it; so smooth and comfortable, a great value for the $.