Spring Break in north Scottsdale.

We are visiting my parents in way N Scottsdale (practically Cave Creek). We don't have time for Sedona or Black Canyon.

Looking for 1-4 hour rides. Both tech and also family friendly.

We are staying near The Boulders/Carefree...way north of the 101.

We've ridden Browns Ranch trails and also over by McDowell Mtn Park near fountain hills.

Anyone suggest any can't-miss trails or loops?

McDowell is closest. Trailforks has good loops. I just did a fun loop in the Hawes system east of Mesa: Hayes trail to Ridge. Go early as it's hot (Duh).

Sent from my HTC6535LRA using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    McDowell is closest. Trailforks has good loops. I just did a fun loop in the Hawes system east of Mesa: Hayes trail to Ridge. Go early as it's hot (Duh).

Hawes is really fun and has a nice mix of family friendly trails and tech. It is quite a ways from where you're staying though. The valley is just so damn big.

We are thinking of riding black canyon on our way in...
    is there a 1-2 hr segment on the BCR (out n back?) that has quick access from I-17?

For BCT there is a new Copper Mtn loop at the north end that looks pretty cool, maybe 12-13mi which is probably perfect for the time frame you have, and close off the freeway via Hwy 69. Another option would be to do the Little Pan loop + tech loop off Table Mesa Rd. I think that is about 9mi but personally not my favorite section of trail. Not sure what sections would be good as an out and back. Maybe the Antelope creek section which goes a few miles south of Bloody Basin Rd. Then ride back on the trail or back on Maggie Mine Rd. There are a few spots to get onto Maggie Mine, and it has good access from the freeway. Closer to Phx there are a few smaller trail systems between Browns/McDowell and the freeway. I've only ridden a small amount in those but I'm sure they are each good for a few hours. Plenty of mileage and options at Browns/McDowells including some newer tech trails at Browns.

Or park at the nice parking lot just south of Black Canyon City and head south. Turn around wherever you want. The T of the north end of Little Pan is a good spot. Bring pads and your desert first aid kit in case someone gets dumped into a cholla.

Here's a map link: http://www.bctaz.com/wp-content/uplo...e-pan-loop.jpg

Last edited by homemadesalsa; 03-27-2018 at 09:20 AM.

Hms, you gonna be in St. George on your way back through? Ben and I will be in Hurricane the 4-6th I believe. Would love to see you on the trail!

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Hms, you gonna be in St. George on your way back through? Ben and I will be in Hurricane the 4-6th I believe. Would love to see you on the trail!
    Hi W!

No I flew the classic Allegiant flight from IF to Mesa. B picked me up in Mesa and we went up to Sedona from there. Home already.

Hoping for a Fruita trip later in April though. Have fun in St George- we love the riding there. Ben might really enjoy Wire Mesa.

We are getting a partial shuttle for JEM, which should be right up his alley.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Sorry for the thread hijack, tech tonics. Hope you found some riding in Scottsdale.

In AZ now. Rode the cave creek cactus classic race course today and it was awesome.

Tomorrow maybe Browns Ranch or Sonoran Preserve

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    In AZ now. Rode the cave creek cactus classic race course today and it was awesome.

Tomorrow maybe Browns Ranch or Sonoran Preserve
    Ride South Mountain. National Trail to the buena vista parking lot. Take national all the way to test your climbing skills, or mormon loop to national for a slightly easier pedal. Park at the pima canyon trailhead.