Page 360 of 428 FirstFirst ... 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 ... LastLast
Results 8,976 to 9,000 of 10691
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Yeah, none of the modern airliners are particularly fast off the line when full (although the 757 when empty is a rocket - as civilian airplanes go).

With the 73/8NG, you're trying to move up to 174,000 pounds from a standstill by blowing air. And with the engines at idle, there's a real lag when advancing the thrust levers, so it's a two step process: advance to 40% N1, let the engines spool up, then advance to TOGA. That's why we'd try to do rolling take-offs as much as possible.
    737 should be able to do about 0.4g at max thrust, max takeoff weight. Unloaded 0.6g.

If I did my math right, fully loaded max thrust would be like doing a 122 mph quarter mile under constant acceleration. Not a slouch.

Just sounds so good

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Just sounds so good

At the races 911’s (cup) were my least favorite sound. It wasn’t what you heard so much, but it literally hurt my ears in a way no other cars did.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Just sounds so good

No sweeter sound in the motoring world than a flat 6 screaming out.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    At the races 911’s (cup) were my least favorite sound. It wasn’t what you heard so much, but it literally hurt my ears in a way no other cars did.
    That’s cause none of the other engines could wind higher than 7k rpm.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    That’s cause none of the other engines could wind higher than 7k rpm.
    Ours did.

Ours did.
    I was just poking fun. When the flat 6 hits 7,500-8,000 rpm that’s when the angry swarm of killer bees sound sets in.

I was just poking fun. When the flat 6 hits 7,500-8,000 rpm that’s when the angry swarm of killer bees sound sets in.
    I do actually really like the sound of the GT street cars, just not the straight pipes on the race cars.

I do actually really like the sound of the GT street cars, just not the straight pipes on the race cars.
    I hear ya. I absolutely one of my favorite parts of sportscar racing is hearing all those different engines on the same track, winding gears and wailing like mad between the prototypes and GT cars. V-6s, V-8s, Flat-6es, 4 cylinders, V-10s, turbo'd, naturally-aspirated... it's a fucking symphony.

I hear ya. I absolutely one of my favorite parts of sportscar racing is hearing all those different engines on the same track, winding gears and wailing like mad between the prototypes and GT cars. V-6s, V-8s, Flat-6es, 4 cylinders, V-10s, turbo'd, naturally-aspirated... it's a fucking symphony.
    Yep. That variety is one of the things that makes sports car/GT racing so good.

737 should be able to do about 0.4g at max thrust, max takeoff weight. Unloaded 0.6g.

If I did my math right, fully loaded max thrust would be like doing a 122 mph quarter mile under constant acceleration. Not a slouch.
    Couldn't tell you about Gs because there's no G-meter display on the flight deck, and Gs are generally parallel to the "normal" (vertical) axis as far as anything you'd need to know while flying. I can tell you it doesn't push you back in the seat like a really fast car does.

And I think the point was that a jet that can do 340 knots (390 mph) straight & level at 50 feet, and over 500 mph at altitude should have better performance relative to cars in the 11 second range. [/Capt Obvious]

As for the math, if that's a straight a = f/m then sure, it's possible. But that doesn't take into consideration any of variables that make real life take-off rolls kinda boring like in the video. First, as I said above, the airplane barely moves for a full two seconds because you set the power to an intermediate target and wait for the engines to spool up. Then when you set take-off thrust, the acceleration curve is more on the time axis than speed for the initial roll, whereas a car is generally fast off the line, and petering out in the higher speeds.

On top of that, normal take-offs are conducted with reduced thrust. There are different engines (literally the first thing you look at is the "differences card"). Then there's a wide variation WRT performance between sea-level with cold temps, and taking off from say KDEN on a hot summer day. etc.

Ted, do you have interest in flying for fun? Owning/sharing a small plane etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Ted, I think he trying to ask if you've considered fractional ownership.

Couldn't tell you about Gs because there's no G-meter display on the flight deck, and Gs are generally parallel to the "normal" (vertical) axis as far as anything you'd need to know while flying. I can tell you it doesn't push you back in the seat like a really fast car does.

And I think the point was that a jet that can do 340 knots (390 mph) straight & level at 50 feet, and over 500 mph at altitude should have better performance relative to cars in the 11 second range. [/Capt Obvious]

As for the math, if that's a straight a = f/m then sure, it's possible. But that doesn't take into consideration any of variables that make real life take-off rolls kinda boring like in the video. First, as I said above, the airplane barely moves for a full two seconds because you set the power to an intermediate target and wait for the engines to spool up. Then when you set take-off thrust, the acceleration curve is more on the time axis than speed for the initial roll, whereas a car is generally fast off the line, and petering out in the higher speeds.

On top of that, normal take-offs are conducted with reduced thrust. There are different engines (literally the first thing you look at is the "differences card"). Then there's a wide variation WRT performance between sea-level with cold temps, and taking off from say KDEN on a hot summer day. etc.
    I guess my point was that looking at the acceleration of a typical take-off doesn’t reflect the performance capabilities, so then saying it’s performance is underwhelming based on that doesn’t really mean much.

I imagine a full powered take off in a 737 in optimal conditions would be fun, and to me part of what’s cool about planes taking off vs car is that constant push - you’re used to cars where the acceleration drops off, but the plane just keeps pushing.

^^^yeah I get it. Even empty, a 737/8 take-off isn't all that exciting, but it sure can climb. Like nothing but sky from the pointy end. And it just keeps going.

It's also accelerating the whole time it's climbing.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Ted, I think he trying to ask if you've considered fractional ownership.
    Haha. Not sure if it's ironic or Alanis, but fractional ownership probably works when it comes to small aircraft. They're expensive, and can't sit and do nothing or they'll stop working.

But I have no interest in it. Aerobatics is fun. And a floatplane can go places that are difficult to reach by other means, but just flying a-to-b in a wheeled light airplane costs more while being less convenient than almost any other option.

I guess my point was that looking at the acceleration of a typical take-off doesn’t reflect the performance capabilities, so then saying it’s performance is underwhelming based on that doesn’t really mean much.

I imagine a full powered take off in a 737 in optimal conditions would be fun, and to me part of what’s cool about planes taking off vs car is that constant push - you’re used to cars where the acceleration drops off, but the plane just keeps pushing.
    I posted that for fun as I never saw a 0-60 Draggy time for a 737. It may only be relevant in Bond movies.

Of course airplanes aren't slow...well, maybe a Piper Cub is.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I posted that for fun as I never saw a 0-60 Draggy time for a 737. It may only be relevant in Bond movies.

Of course airplanes aren't slow...well, maybe a Piper Cub is.
    I really wan’t to fly in a Cub, but not for the acceleration.

No sweeter sound in the motoring world than a flat 6 screaming out.
    Judd V8? Though I wouldn't call this sweet, it's more like, wtf??
    Let's hope basinbeater's 128i project ends up like this one day.

Judd V8? Though I wouldn't call this sweet, it's more like, wtf??
    Let's hope basinbeater's 128i project ends up like this one day.

I see your Judd V8 bet and raise by two cylinders:

Dallara museum has some cool cars, including that one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	853A41B5-977C-46E3-9F04-50EF6498D43E.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	776.8 KB 
ID:	453028

(Randomly drove by it when I was in Italy for SIL’s wedding to an Italian. Saw a window with some cool looking cars in it just driving down the road.)

Haha. Not sure if it's ironic or Alanis, but fractional ownership probably works when it comes to small aircraft. They're expensive, and can't sit and do nothing or they'll stop working.

But I have no interest in it. Aerobatics is fun. And a floatplane can go places that are difficult to reach by other means, but just flying a-to-b in a wheeled light airplane costs more while being less convenient than almost any other option.
    Legit question although reading back it does sound like a TRG x ChaptGPT collab. I didn't know if flying was a passion or just a means to an end.

Legit question ...if flying was a passion
    Oh it was, and it had to be to get anywhere in aviation in the 90s. Plus airplanes are a logical extension from cars, motorcycles, bikes, and skis.

I went the civilian route, and would say about a third of the people I went to school with and/or early coworkers never ended up flying anything over 12,500 lbs (that's the lowest category break for licensing). And of that third, more than half ended up quitting due to multiple rejections, long hours for poverty wages, and the one step forward/two steps back nature of the industry.

That's not to say that part wasn't fun at times, but it took some combo of tenacity and stupidity to not just throw in the towel.

I'm looking at a van and would love the CF. WD3PF1CC1FP145373. Thank you!

The comments alone on the new Savagegeese Altima review are worth the read.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wmt2i620rQ

The comments alone on the new Savagegeese Altima review are worth the read.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wmt2i620rQ
    Nissan Altima content is the best automotive commentary content.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46292706-97D7-4D5E-9CD6-2769C6B866DE.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	453646

Just forgot the “tag applied for” homemade license plate.

And optional front bumper. Nissan really is the Chrysler of Japan.

And optional front bumper. Nissan really is the Chrysler of Japan.
    Literally lol’d. that’s some funny shit.

Once Dodge stops selling Chargers and Challengers on 28% apr deals, something is gonna have to step up and fill that void for the car most associated with street crime.

The Altima has been training for years for this moment.