Page 319 of 428 FirstFirst ... 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 ... LastLast
Results 7,951 to 7,975 of 10679
    Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Nothing cuts down on it. People don't stop at texting. I see them scrolling Facebook or whatever. Doesn't matter the car, truck, or transmission. Because it is so rampant young people will justify that "everybody does it"
    This. And a new driver with a MT is more likely to fuck things up when trying to drive and txt (with a MT), I'd wager.

Big MT fan. You can’t text in the city.
    Highway? Sure.

I’m in a similar boat. Thing one needs a car and it’s going to be MT.

Tacoma would be nice but man they hold value.
    Mini Cooper keeps popping up. Plus the occasional 3 series. Sometimes a Jetta. There’s not enough sticks out there. Subaru has a few. But no way I’m giving him a WRX.

Ideally I’d put him in an old 5 series wagon. Or maybe a 240.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Serially tho, what else is available for 15ish with a stick and awd or 4wd? Feels like there are very few other options. I found a nice 08 Rubicon 2d but didn't get any traction when I suggested it.

Insurance is expensive. But, in my experience, kids are expensive. As my grandmother used to say, it's just another slap on a red behind...
    I was going to suggest a Golf Alltrack S 6sp, but the price premium is wild right now on those. As other said, FWD can make it happen all day. If you're willing to take a slight reliability gamble with a used VW, here ya go: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...-3335ce6f0aac/

Who's gotten an allocation?

Porsche Investor Demand Exceeds $9.4 Billion Offering in Hours
    Demand for shares throughout price range, terms show
    Porsche parent VW selling shares at 76.50 euros to 82.50 euros
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Yeah, looking for a manual cuz we think it's still a relevant life skill that is worth acquiring. It's kinda like swimming. You can certainly learn to swim as an adult but isn't it better if your parents get you taught while you're a kid?

My first car was a stick but I'd been using a clutch on the farm for a couple years by the time I was old enough to get my license. So getting moving and shifting on the road came pretty naturally to me. Kid won't have that luxury tho. Still got like 9m of learner's permit time left so hoping to buy something and then have him chauffer us around everywhere in it instead of our automatics to give him plenty of time to get some coaching on the clutch and shifting.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

In what world is driving a manual relevant? A manual is a completely useless life skill, and swimming is an essential life skill to learn when young, not as an adult. And you are shopping for an WRX? get ahold of yourself man!

Man, we did laps around the local football stadium for weeks before the big one - starting on a hill.

Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    In what world is driving a manual relevant?
    This world.

This is one of the better options I see for $15k in Denver. Lots in the 30k and 5k range but not much in mid range except overpriced Toyotas

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...532107261.html

Finally drove a Tesla this weekend.
    That shit is weird. Instant deceleration.
    I read about regen. But it’s different irl.
    Had to reprogram my brain.

Pulled out my M5. My Tesla friend hadn’t drove stick in ten years. But he still has the skills. Ironically the Tesla pulled harder than my 400hp. Weird. Again.
    But he was all smiles. Something magical about MT.

I could see getting one someday. Hoping it doesn’t run over a motorcycle or catch on fire.

Driving a manual is a life skill like carving a toothpick is

I'm a grown ass man who had to learn to drive my girls manual recently when my car shit the bed. Being called a dipshit by the car behind me when I stalled waiting for tourists to cross the road was a fucking humbling experience. I picked it up after a few days of messing around town but I sure wish I had learned when I was a teen.

My first car was an auto, my parents only owned autos when I turned 15, everyone I was friends with had an auto, and most of the kids I knew growing up with manuals wouldn't let other people drive them. It's an important skill, but we are approaching an age where manuals are obsolete quicker than you old farts think.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Driving a manual is a life skill like carving a toothpick is
    You sir are a dork.

No need to carve one if you have a raccoon nearby

"Hillbilly Toothpick" is the term used for penis bones that have been removed and utilized for toothpicks or decoration (mainly on baseball and cowboy hats). Typically they are the penis bones from raccoons.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6326812

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    In what world is driving a manual relevant? A manual is a completely useless life skill...
    You trolling, bro?

The people who think you don’t need to know how to drive a manual don’t rent cars in third world countries.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    The people who think you don’t need to know how to drive a manual don’t rent cars in third world countries.

Americans rarely travel abroad. The manual shifter was replaced by the Big Gulp sized cupholder. The clutch pedal was taking up too much room for the typical American's fat feet. These are the facts. You can't change history

Not just third world either. Last cars I rented in Germany and Spain were manuals. I couldn't imagine the shame I'd bare if the girl at the rental counter in Frankfurt was like "Here's the keys to a new BMW 535d wagon 6MT" and I didn't know how to drive it.

Dunfree and muted would be like "Uhhhhhh.... Ich weiß nicht, wie man Schaltgetriebe fährt."

Americans rarely travel abroad. The manual shifter was replaced by the Big Gulp sized cupholder. The clutch pedal was taking up too much room for the typical American's fat feet. These are the facts. You can't change history
    Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    You trolling, bro?

"we are approaching an age where manuals are obsolete quicker than you old farts think." -AsmileyFace

Swimming is life or death, using a manual is something you can get through life never learning. I'd rather frame it as, "my son need to learn how to drive a manual because it's fun as shit!" but I;m not trying to make this a serious conversation here

Ah, the answer to my questions is that world is the third world.

I think manual transmissions are a minority of vehicles sold globally now

Or if you're traveling on the Trampolín del Diablo in Columbia in a local bus, the driver gets shot and you need the skills to take over to save yourself and get all the passengers to safety? That shit doesn't have a DCT with paddle shifters.

You'll be glad your pops bought you that 6sp WRX and taught you to drive it at 17.

There are certain life skills which are very useful to achieve, and fun once mastered. Driving an MT is one of them. You reprobates can fill in the others.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    There are certain life skills which are very useful to achieve, and fun once mastered. Driving an MT is one of them. You reprobates can fill in the others.
    As someone that drives a MT and has for decades, I’d put sharpening a knife/blade far higher

4S4BSACC7G3200974

Any shot I can get a lookup on this one Bobby? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    As someone that drives a MT and has for decades, I’d put sharpening a knife/blade far higher
    Unlike yourself not everyone wants a custom whittled dildo shift knob.