Page 318 of 428 FirstFirst ... 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 ... LastLast
Results 7,926 to 7,950 of 10679
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Any demo's Bobby? I think I should drive one first to see if I like it.

Does it have a oil dipstick? No dipstick is a dealbreaker on any car for me.
    So therefore any car you are in passes muster.

Da dum ching. I'll show myself out.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    So therefore any car you are in passes muster.

Da dum ching. I'll show myself out.
    I can’t recall which of my BMWs it was but I remember there was no dipstick on one of em. Digital display only.

But I also got the joke.
    I still call it The Jake.

"timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Someone here needs this. Montucky? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9169624467275/

One of only 56 cars that were made during a strike year? No doubt the quality level on that one is fucking awesome.

Any demo's Bobby? I think I should drive one first to see if I like it.

Does it have a oil dipstick? No dipstick is a dealbreaker on any car for me.
    My Panamera won’t tell me the oil level if I open the hood.
    Have to drive a few miles to get a reading. Wtf.
    Dipstickless cars are for dipshits

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    One of only 56 cars that were made during a strike year? No doubt the quality level on that one is fucking awesome.
    I like how they led with that feature, instead of burying it like a free marmot.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    My Panamera won’t tell me the oil level if I open the hood.
    Have to drive a few miles to get a reading. Wtf.
    Dipstickless cars are for dipshits
    My SIL has a Mini with electronic sender only, she called me and said her car was requesting her to add oil so she added some, rechecked and it still read low, so she added more. She added almost 2 qts, it still didn't move, so she called me. Who knows what the level is until someone drains it all out and measures it. I'd bet the capacity on that car is 4.5-5 qts max.

My SIL has a Mini with electronic sender only, she called me and said her car was requesting her to add oil so she added some, rechecked and it still read low, so she added more. She added almost 2 qts, it still didn't move, so she called me. Who knows what the level is until someone drains it all out and measures it. I'd bet the capacity on that car is 4.5-5 qts max.
    She in marmot country?

Could be a leak somewhere.

Also, when the hell did the Detroit International Auto Show move to mid-September?

Growing up my Dad and I would travel to DET and hit up opening night every year; have a lot of great memories of doing that. But it was always MLK weekend and a great kickoff to the year and the new models that we could expect in the following months. I'm guessing this is another COVID casualty? Just Detroit being Detroit?

I'll never forget seeing cars like the Carerra GT, original Viper and Boxster make their debuts there.

Looking for a car for the oldest kid. 15k more or less to spend. Wanna manual trans and AWD/4wd but not a truck or wrangler. Thinking wrx so far as we had a Forester XT manual a bunch of years ago that was a hoot to drive. What else should I be looking for? South Denver metro preferred but could travel if necessary.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Don't dismiss fwd. A front drive with good snowtires is just as capable as a 4wd for street driving. Everyone thinks they need 4wd these days.

Don't dismiss fwd. A front drive with good snowtires is just as capable as a 4wd for street driving. Everyone thinks they need 4wd these days.
    100%

Most new AWD cars/SUV are FWD but have an electronic diff that engages the rear when sensing spin.

BTW getting you kid a WRX....just wait until you get your insurance quote. LOL it's insane

I'd argue that there's a lot less to learn in terms of vehicle dynamics with two driven wheels instead of four, and--as someone who drives a F150 with the 3.5 turbo--no way in hell is that much power a good idea for a new driver.

I think your manual requirement is going to drive your options, though--so many vehicles haven't been available with one in a decade or more, and even those that could be had with a manual they were a minority of the cars sold. If you really want AWD and a stick, I think you're looking at Subaru and maybe sporty cars from other manufacturers (and as someone else said, you probably want to contact your insurance agent before committing to one of those).

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Also, when the hell did the Detroit International Auto Show move to mid-September?

Growing up my Dad and I would travel to DET and hit up opening night every year; have a lot of great memories of doing that. But it was always MLK weekend and a great kickoff to the year and the new models that we could expect in the following months. I'm guessing this is another COVID casualty? Just Detroit being Detroit?

I'll never forget seeing cars like the Carerra GT, original Viper and Boxster make their debuts there.
    Read something about this recently. The date was changed from Jan to Jun with better weather and overlapping Detroit GP in mind. 2020 and 2021 didn't happen because of covfefe. I'm guessing the push from Jun to Sep this year is because of the same. Sounds like the event has lost some sheen which is too bad.

Serially tho, what else is available for 15ish with a stick and awd or 4wd? Feels like there are very few other options. I found a nice 08 Rubicon 2d but didn't get any traction when I suggested it.

Insurance is expensive. But, in my experience, kids are expensive. As my grandmother used to say, it's just another slap on a red behind...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I scroll Craigslist for manual cars and trucks daily. I can tell you there isn't much to choose from. Subarus, VW, Porsche, Hondas, and big loud old trucks. Judging by the noises I hear in my neighborhood the kids are choosing the big loud diesel trucks and motorcycles. It drives me nuts.

I didn't have a choice when I was a kid. The beater manual Honda Civic turned out to be an awesome car. Got me everywhere and when I got it stuck in the snow it was easy to get out at barely over 2k lbs.

Paying 250 a month for insurance on a WRX isn't "oh well" money IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Looking for a car for the oldest kid. 15k more or less to spend. Wanna manual trans and AWD/4wd but not a truck or wrangler. Thinking wrx so far as we had a Forester XT manual a bunch of years ago that was a hoot to drive. What else should I be looking for? South Denver metro preferred but could travel if necessary.

That price gets you what should be a $7K-$10K vehicle. You're a braver man than I am for considering a Subaru off warranty and of the vintage that costs that amount, which will be close to the oil burning and other issues point.

So having gone through some of this recently, I bought a brand new Impreza (with AT) and the next trim line up from basic for $24,900 after seeing what was available in the various price ranges. Availability was also a big part of the equation. A gently used Impreza was around $20-21K in my area, so I went for new because warranty. $15K was too clapped out for me.

In my case the car belongs to my wife and I, although thing#2 is commuting to school in it right now. Because gas mileage. Joke on him is he'll end up in thing#1's Toyota Yaris iA in a few months with the Subaru only available on crappy weather days.

Don't get a new driver a WRX. Forrester would be good.

Part-time 4wd with a manual trans certainly has a learning curve for a new driver, but I don't know your kid so that may be good or bad.

Just out of curiosity - why the manual requirement? That's really limiting your options in an already shitty used car market...

^Ditto.

I bought a 6sp Miata this March as a fun around town car because my kid wanted to learn to drive a manual. He learned, and now drives my 4Runner most of the time. Most kids want to listen to their music and not work so hard at driving. I dunno what I was thinking. YMMV.

That's the great thing about a MT, it cuts down on driving and texting.

Maybe that's what I was thinking. I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Nothing cuts down on it. People don't stop at texting. I see them scrolling Facebook or whatever. Doesn't matter the car, truck, or transmission. Because it is so rampant young people will justify that "everybody does it"

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    AND evidently your kids borrowing the car too judging by what I've seen. Neighbor has a great little old Honda Fit with a manual. His 17 year old son is too lazy to want to bother learning how to drive it and would literally rather not drive than learn. WTF?! Do kids have it too good at home these days? I know, old man yelling at clouds and everything, but 'back in my day' we were all yearning for our freedom and getting to drive was symbolic of that freedom. First car I bought in HS was a stick. My mom drove it home for me and next morning since I needed to get to school, I had to learn on the fly. Wasn't exactly a smooth start, but by the time I made it to school I pretty much had the hang of it. Not that freaking hard. However, as much as I can give teens some crap on this, adults are pretty much as bad these days. SO few even know how to drive a manual any longer. Best anti-theft device on the market!